PDA

View Full Version : Notifying Ofsted of changes to opening hours

gef918
18-03-2014, 11:07 AM
I just called my LA and asked to update my details, so that I will move to the top of their list and hopefully get some new children. I've done this before without a problem, just changing my opening hours by 15 mins usually. However, this time a secretary asked someone on the childminding development team and I've been told that I need to notify Ofsted before I can update my details.

I think this is nonsense (and said so). Am I wrong? Do Ofsted care that I'd be starting work at 7.30 rather than 8?

moggy
18-03-2014, 12:10 PM
I just called my LA and asked to update my details, so that I will move to the top of their list and hopefully get some new children. I've done this before without a problem, just changing my opening hours by 15 mins usually. However, this time a secretary asked someone on the childminding development team and I've been told that I need to notify Ofsted before I can update my details.

I think this is nonsense (and said so). Am I wrong? Do Ofsted care that I'd be starting work at 7.30 rather than 8?

Yes, EYFS Section 3.76.

I did this recently as I am starting working 30mins longer am and pm, I emailed Ofsted and asked for them to confirm they had received my email. They replied that they had forwarded it to the relevant dept.

My LA move us to the top of the list if you just ask as they know it is nonsense making a little change for the sake of it- have you asked them?
My LA is now moving to us doing our own online portal updates to our LA profile, so the problem will go soon anyway.

hectors house
18-03-2014, 01:17 PM
I have never notified Ofsted of my working hours other than updating them in my SEF - I was amazed to read Moggy's reply and I have now re-read 3.76 and it does say "any proposal to change the hours during which childcare is provided".

amyp
18-03-2014, 01:22 PM
I dont think so- when you have a new child sign up who works a different day you dont let them know- I'm registered for 24/7 care so my opening hours are down as 24/7.

Koala
18-03-2014, 01:39 PM
I dont think so- when you have a new child sign up who works a different day you dont let them know- I'm registered for 24/7 care so my opening hours are down as 24/7.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: lets hope you don't get parents wanting you to work 24/7 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I haven't notified ofsted of any alteration to my working hours as I have always worked according to parents needs and how it fits in with my family - like most do i suppose, this can vary from week to week - sometimes I might finish 15 mins early WOW :D should I notify ofsted? sometimes I will start half an hour earlier - should I notify osfted? I may do the occasional overnight care. Being a childminder means that we are often flexible when children attend as we don't have:- staffing, insurance, planning, business restrictions like other settings may have.

According to the EYFS 3.76 I should. Wow, I've read this before but not thought it practical to notify them of any change in my working hours when providing childcare - would it be more applicable to nurseries or facilities who open at set times and this is their proviso for registration, staffing, planning and insurance etc.. ?

gef918
18-03-2014, 01:43 PM
I really don't understand the need to inform Ofsted. As far as I'm aware I have never told them my working hours, so how they would notice a change, I don't know. However, I will just ask my LA to move me up the list and if they won't I'll just change which school or pre-school I collect from (since I don't collect from schools or pre-schools at the moment). I'm assuming I don't need to tell Ofsted that?

rickysmiths
18-03-2014, 01:55 PM
I don't publish 'working hours'. I never have because it depends on what I feel if someone wants 6am to 8pm comes to see me I might not want to do it for them and the same with late days etc. So how could I notify Ofsted of a change when there is nothing to change? I'm sure they don't want us contacting them every time we take on a new child who may start half an hour earlier or later than the one before their email would come to a grinding halt!!

However if we want to offer overnight care we have to tell them. That would be a significant change if someone hadn't offered it before and it would have in the past required a change to our Registration.

So op I have never published opening and closing times so i would not change them. I just change the wording of what schools or pre schools I go to or change my vacancies slightly and that has the same effect.

Simona
18-03-2014, 09:02 PM
I wonder if it means 'change of days' rather than hours? just a thought
I would assume most of us work...roughly... from 8 am till 6pm...so if we wanted to change to 9-5pm would we have to tell them?
But I suppose if we work 3 days a week and want to increase to an extra day...or decrease a day... that may be what they require

I suppose inspectors ask us when they make the call before a scheduled inspection to verify which days we are open?

munch149
19-03-2014, 12:22 PM
Maybe it means to a larger extent e.g if your registered for weekdays and you wish to do weekends or overnight care. I don't think I have ever specified my working hours to ofsted so how would they know if they change