PDA

View Full Version : Deposit

jackie 7
17-03-2014, 04:54 PM
I only started taking a deposit recently. I said that it was towards first months care but after reading here changed that for last child. I have a lo starting in may. Can I change the way I use the deposit ? On my contract it says towards feed but I said verbally towards first months feed. I feel I can't change but wanted to see what everyone thinks.

Simona
17-03-2014, 06:36 PM
I only started taking a deposit recently. I said that it was towards first months care but after reading here changed that for last child. I have a lo starting in may. Can I change the way I use the deposit ? On my contract it says towards feed but I said verbally towards first months feed. I feel I can't change but wanted to see what everyone thinks.

I am very hot on taking a deposit so cms can cushion themselves against any parents not paying fees or ...in extreme cases... go away owing money

It is your decision in the end but I personally take a 4 weeks deposit when the contract is signed and before settling-in...this is refundable and I hold to it until I am given notice at end of care...then pay it back
Others may differ but I have never had a problem as it is refundable

You can go this way or have a deposit that you take off the first month's fees...what if in future the parents leave you without paying fees?
Cover yourself...many cms do it that way and it is perfectly legitimate...it also avoids having to think about court action to recover fees
You can change the wording in your contract very quickly...new family new way of covering yourself

Good luck

LauraS
17-03-2014, 06:38 PM
I only started taking a deposit recently. I said that it was towards first months care but after reading here changed that for last child. I have a lo starting in may. Can I change the way I use the deposit ? On my contract it says towards feed but I said verbally towards first months feed. I feel I can't change but wanted to see what everyone thinks. No, I think that you've agreed the terms of the contract with the parents now and it would go against both your contract (although specifies generically 'fees' parent might argue that it is an ambiguous term and therefore unenforceable if you use against last months fees) and general fairness to change the goalposts now. Plus it is highly likely you will annoy her before the child has even started. Best just to put it down to a lesson learned and change your sign up terms and contract for next time.

Ps have assumed from your post that you have already signed contracts and verbally agreed terms also with this family and I have advised as above accordingly. Is this the case?

jackie 7
17-03-2014, 10:59 PM
Thanks yes I have signed contracts. I will do as we agree fed. It is what I thought. I made sure that I told the next parent it was half for first month and other for last. But I like the idea of keeping it till parent leaves. Might consider it next time.

Simona
18-03-2014, 08:00 AM
Thanks yes I have signed contracts. I will do as we agree fed. It is what I thought. I made sure that I told the next parent it was half for first month and other for last. But I like the idea of keeping it till parent leaves. Might consider it next time.

If you have signed the contract already then you are bound by that...however...there is not a reason why you cannot review that giving plenty of notice and introducing new terms

With new parents you can introduce a deposit by changing and updating your contract to fit new business...while you have to honour current one

If in doubt you can discuss with a professional...contracts can be updated otherwise we would all be stuck 35 years ago

Good luck

dolly1985
18-03-2014, 08:43 AM
My new parent has given me a deposit (weeks fees) and I am deducting that from the first months fees. I will be paid in advance and if I do not receive payment before the new month I will not take the child!

smurfette
18-03-2014, 09:37 AM
I now always hold Til end of contract but generally take maybe two weeks not a month depending on how much they pay Each week., a months deposit can be a lot to come up with. It gives me a cushion though that they aren't gonna do a runner! I take payment in advance due in the Friday of the previous week and if it's not in my account I ring or text looking for it. Has worked ok so far