PDA

View Full Version : trampolines

yummyripples
14-03-2014, 08:34 PM
Is the recommended age for trampolines 6? There is a thing on Facebook at the moment and people are saying they don't let little uns on theirs. I let mine on although I do have a disclaimer form signed by the parents.
Do you let under 6's on?

dawn100
14-03-2014, 08:46 PM
My trampoline has a safety warning printed on it which says not suitable for children under the age of six and only one child at a time - if I went against this you can guarantee I wouldn't be covered by my insurance if an accident happened regardless of whether the parents had signed disclaimers or not so for that reason I don't use it whilst cm, my own children however have used it from the age of 3.

moggy
14-03-2014, 08:50 PM
I'd say you have to go with what it says in instruction manual as that is what insurance etc is going to refer to. For example this one says age 6+

Buy Sportspower 10ft Trampoline and Enclosure at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Trampolines and enclosures. (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9108367.htm)

If you have a trampoline explicitly saying in manual that it is for age 6+, and you let an under 6 go on it, you are taking a massive risk, IMO.

If you no longer have the manual then look at a similar model, Argos has plenty to compare with using the trampoline size to compare.

AliceK
14-03-2014, 09:45 PM
I used to have one but as usual it was for over six's only and caused too much hassle as the children under six couldn't understand why they couldn't have a go when my children could so when we moved we got rid of it, saved a lot of fuss.
Disclaimers aren't worth the paper they are written on in this case.
Xx

amylouise867
14-03-2014, 11:02 PM
Is the recommended age for trampolines 6? There is a thing on Facebook at the moment and people are saying they don't let little uns on theirs. I let mine on although I do have a disclaimer form signed by the parents. Do you let under 6's on?

It's a pretty serious thing if Ofsted see little ones going on a trampoline.

I've know this happen and I've known people get inadequate because of this, the fact parents sign to say it's ok they go on means nothing as the manufacturer has recommended an age and you are going against that as a professional.

What parents do in their own time at home is up to them but it would mean pretty serious consequences especially for example if one of the children get injured.

I'm with you and don't see it as that much of a big deal personally and would let my own child on one no problem. You know what health and safety is like these days mind and how we live in a 'blames a claim' society.

It isn't worth your professional status being compromised because of them going on the trampoline.

This of course goes for any other equipment too - slides, swings, climbing frames. If there's a recommended age - it really is paramount that you stick to it. For the children's sake but more so for your own. Reducing risks of being liable for anything is so important as we know.

xxx

yummyripples
15-03-2014, 07:23 AM
What about the ones at play centres? Is that the same

amylouise867
15-03-2014, 12:37 PM

I guess so yes.

They usually have areas don't they where is says under 3s etc.

Best to ask where you go to see if they have things in place for suggested ages - this would be apart of the risk assessments you do.

If you were to go to parks etc to be on the safe side I would always go by what the rough manufacturers age would be if I was to buy the equipment for home etc. Like it's been suggested look on Argos, toys r us etc to read up on their suggested ages. If Argos say similar slides at the park they suggest 6 years and above I would allow a 3 year old on for example.

And if you aren't sure i would always say don't do it.
It's better to not do things than chance something and it go wrong for you or the children.

Hope that helps Hun xxx

amylouise867
15-03-2014, 12:40 PM

The main thing is don't think you will be covered if you write disclaimers and get parents to sign because they really don't mean anything in these circumstances.

It's good though that this topic has come up for you before anything happens so you can make some changes if need be :)

xxx

watford wizz
15-03-2014, 12:47 PM
I inquired about this with my insurance company a few years ago and the cost of cover was very high so we just don't go on them. Think this is better than having some on and some off anyway x