PDA

View Full Version : Should I review risk assessment?

CookieCutter
13-03-2014, 01:07 PM
Hi everyone! I have had a really stressful morning. I did some painting with my little ones which resulted in such a mess (mess stresses me out on its own!), they had it all over arms, hands, faces and even hair. After cleaning up a bit with wash cloths, I realized they would need a bath. I have all permissions in place and have risk assessed, but this is the first time I've ever needed to bath a mindee. I put swim nappies on them (as per my risk assessment, should one of them poo) and put them in the tub together. It never crossed my mind to do it separately because there are only 2 little girls of a similar age and I figured it would be safer to bathe them together than to divide my attention trying to watch one inside and one outside the bath.

Anyway, everything was fine until I wet mindee's hair. She let out the most horrible scream, which scared my lo. My lo stood straight up like a shot, lost her balance, and toppled over the edge of the tub face first onto the floor. I didn't even have time to register it was happening until it was over, I couldn't stop it. I'm then in a position of trying to comfort 2 very upset little girls, and my lo has a massive lump on her forehead (but is otherwise fine in herself).

My instinct tells me that this was just a freak accident and I shouldn't update my risk assessment to say I will bathe them separately in future, but I just what everyone else would do?

Mrsh3103
13-03-2014, 01:20 PM
To be honest I'd still bath them together. Like you said It was a freak accident! The lo obviously doesn't like having her hair washed so I'd just make sure I didn't do that again!
There would be more risks involved in bathing them 1 at a time! What if the lo not in the bath slipped or distracted you? You'd then take your attention from the lo in the bath.

watford wizz
13-03-2014, 01:23 PM
I'd perhaps add a bit about bathing likes and dislikes info from parents/carers x

hectors house
13-03-2014, 01:40 PM
I have never had to bath children other than when babies have been sick or pooed all up their backs when tiny - how would you supervise 2 children in the bathroom if one was in the bath and the other was fiddling about with things whilst covered in paint - I would still continue to bath both at same time if it came to that or supervise more closely while painting to ensure you don't need to bath them in the first place. Hope your little one is ok.