PDA

View Full Version : Childminding assistant.

Heather 7
13-03-2014, 10:44 AM
Hi. I would very much like to become an independent childminder and have started to look into how to go about this. I understand it is quite a long process so in the mean time was thinking of becoming a childminders assistant but don't really know much about the role or how to do it? Any help from anyone in the know??

joannes
16-03-2014, 10:25 AM
From what I understand you pretty much need to go through the same training so not any shorter. You'd still need a DBS check and to do the Local authority course as there were some on my course who were planning on being assistants to friends/family. You'd still also need the paediatric first aid course and depending on your local authority the safeguarding. I'm not sure if you'd need the environmental health food prep training but that's all the training I've done to be a "full childminder" if that makes sense. The only other things I've done extra have been to do my policies and procedures, which would already be in place for you as an assistant but you'd still need to be aware of them as on an inspection Ofsted will probably ask you about them too. Also less financial lay out for you as everything would already be in place with the childminder if you assisted. perhaps contact your local family information services for more info as unless you knew someone there might not be anyone taking on assistants in your area or equally there may be someone crying out for one. good luck deciding!

FussyElmo
16-03-2014, 10:37 AM
You don't have to do the childminding course if you only want to be an assistant but seeing as you want to become a cm you are going to have to do it.

To be an assistant you need a dbs and first aid if you were to be left in sole charge of the children. If you didn't have first aid you can still be an assistant just you could not have them on your own.

You would need safeguarding but this could be done in house by the childminder you are working with. you would also need to know policies and procedures.

Good luck in your future childminding career :thumbsup: