PDA

View Full Version : Level 3 - from home?

NinkyNonk
12-03-2014, 02:37 PM
Hi all, I'm in the process of registering to become a childminder and want to do my Level 3. I'd prefer to do this from home so I've been searching around but am completely confused now!

Has anyone else done this or can you recommend a reputable company that offers a recognised qualification? There seems to be so many people online saying they're a scam and not worth it etc.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

tulip0803
12-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Pacey definitely do one.

If you have any remnants of a Family Information Service for you area they may have info of good ones.

You do have to be careful as some companies have been doing "lvl3" courses that are not actually recognised or at lvl3 standard

shortstuff
12-03-2014, 02:43 PM
I am currently studying my level 3 and a bulk of it is from home but I attend classes about once a month? although it isnt compulsory. Mine is through PACEY.

I also know Rick who is a mod on the forum has done his entirely from home and Im sure he will be on later to let you know the details.

NinkyNonk
12-03-2014, 02:48 PM
Great, thank you...I'll have a look and hopefully will get some more info later too.

I had considered going to college but with starting childminding at the same time I think I may be putting too much on myself at the same time! I'm thinking if I can limit myself on numbers/days I can still earn a little but be able to give time to studying too. That's the plan anyway. ;-)

AliceK
13-03-2014, 06:03 PM
You may want to hold on for a few months (Sept I believe) for the EYE which will be the latest and newer one they are bringing out.

xxxxx

Simona
14-03-2014, 11:57 PM
Yes...keep your eye open for the EYE due to start Sept...there will be more news on this as many training providers will be preparing for this
This course requires a GCSE in maths and English...this is very much the hot topic debated at present and there will be more info out soon

Preschool Learning Alliance (PLA) also offers the Level 3 and I know they are preparing for EYE as well

Rick
15-03-2014, 10:25 AM
I have just finished mine through The Childcare Company and they were very good. Beware trying to start it too soon as the course often asks for you to evidence from your setting and childminding experience

mrs robbie williams
16-03-2014, 07:53 AM
im in the middle of mine, from home, with parenta xx

NinkyNonk
16-03-2014, 07:10 PM
Great, thanks for your advice everyone. Really not sure what to do...if I wait until Sept I will have to re-do my GCSE maths which scares me! If I spend a year doing that and then on to Level 3, I may lose the will to live!!

cookiesncream
17-03-2014, 12:38 PM
Doing mine from home with PACEY - it does require work evidence so I would hang on for a bit if I were you.

What's this EYE everyone is mentioning?

NinkyNonk
17-03-2014, 12:49 PM
If I started it at the same time as starting childminding, would that be ok do you think? Or would I need to working for a period of time first?

I think EYE is the new level 3 course coming in Sept...although I could be wrong!

Rick
17-03-2014, 01:00 PM
If I started it at the same time as starting childminding, would that be ok do you think? Or would I need to working for a period of time first?

I think EYE is the new level 3 course coming in Sept...although I could be wrong!

I would leave it at least 2 or 3 months if you can. You will obviously gain experience while doing your course too which will enable you to answer later questions. Your tutor may be able to order your questions according to your experience

Simona
17-03-2014, 02:51 PM
Doing mine from home with PACEY - it does require work evidence so I would hang on for a bit if I were you.

What's this EYE everyone is mentioning?

Early Years Educator (EYE) the new level 3 coming in Sept 2014
More news will come out of this as the training providers prepare for the course and meet criteria

CACHE Level 3 Diploma in Early Years Education and Care (Early Years Educator) (http://www.cache.org.uk/Qualifications/CYP/CYPL3/Pages/CACHE-Level-3-Diploma-in-Early-Years-Professional-Practice-%28Early-Years-Educator%29.aspx)

kaz26
14-05-2014, 11:38 AM
I started mine last week through my local college and I'm doing 2 days a week in a pre school I got a 24+ adult learning loan xx

Tulip
14-05-2014, 11:46 AM
I am guessing that I won't be able to use my CYPOP5 towards if I leave starting my level 3 much longer, does anybody know please?

Kirstylob
14-05-2014, 12:17 PM
Tulip - I've nearly finished my level 3 and some of the childminders who had CYPOP 5 were able to use theirs as one of their optional units. Ask your tutor, they will know. Good luck.

shortstuff
14-05-2014, 01:48 PM
I am guessing that I won't be able to use my CYPOP5 towards if I leave starting my level 3 much longer, does anybody know please?

We just had to produce our certificate and the tutor marked it as seen

Tulip
14-05-2014, 05:33 PM
Thanks Kirstylob and shortstuff, I haven't even applied to start it yet