PDA

View Full Version : lo with suspected concussion

Rickers83
12-03-2014, 01:42 PM
20 mnth lo fell off 5ft slide last night st home. The impact cracked the crash helmet he was luckily wearing!

mum took to a&e and told to monitor for 3 days.

he was fine this morning but woke from nap screaming and now is very lethargic, wont walk or stand, falling asleep when i pick him up.

i think its concussion, mum has asked me to give calpol and ring in half hour ad he also has a heavy cold and conjunctivitis!

if it is concussion how long should he stat at hone for?

i have another 20 month lo plus 2 4 year olds tomorrow?!

AliceK
12-03-2014, 01:46 PM
Gosh poor thing. If you suspect it may be concussion I would be getting mum to get him an urgent doctors apt this afternoon or take him back to A&E. I wouldn't be happy to have him back until he has been checked out again.

xxx

emma04
12-03-2014, 01:48 PM
What a caring mum!! If it we're me I'd be hot footing to collect regardless of the fact that lo has a cold already!!

A&E said to monitor for 3 days!!!!! So clearly made her aware that lo could still be in danger!!!

Tell her to come and fetch the poor mite!!

auntym
12-03-2014, 02:10 PM
They say monitor meaning any untoward behaviour or symptoms over next 3 days bring back - she needs to collect now and take back xxx

Ripeberry
12-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Do you have a walk in health centre? Take him there or to A&E. It can take time for swelling of the brain to show up. He should never have come to you to be honest.

sing-low
12-03-2014, 03:01 PM
If Mum hasn't collected yet could you call LO's GP for advice? Sounds like he needs to be checked out ASAP, poor love.

QualityCare
12-03-2014, 03:15 PM
Go to your nearest accident and emergency (A&E) department as soon as possible if you or someone in your care shows any of the following signs:
mental confusion
drowsiness that goes on for longer than an hour
difficulty speaking
loss of balance
persistent headache

Taken from NHS web site on concussion.

Rickers83
12-03-2014, 04:10 PM
UPDATE;

lo fell asleep not long after my post, I was unable to wake him, tried lifting him up, clapping, calling him... Nothing

rang nhs direct who could hear me trying to wake him & they send an ambulance!!!

ambulance arrived in 10 mins, lo still not waking up....

doorbell goes, front door opens to let them in & he sits up!!!!

within 10 mins he appeared fine.....& I felt like a huge wally!!

mum arrived in an absolute state & was clearly shocked to see him sat in ambulance playing with an ear probe, little ***!

theyve taken him to hospital to check him over anyway,
im emotionally drained & although i know i did the right thing feel like mum thinks i was being dramatic :0(

AliceK
12-03-2014, 04:14 PM
UPDATE;

lo fell asleep not long after my post, I was unable to wake him, tried lifting him up, clapping, calling him... Nothing

rang nhs direct who could hear me trying to wake him & they send an ambulance!!!

ambulance arrived in 10 mins, lo still not waking up....

doorbell goes, front door opens to let them in & he sits up!!!!

within 10 mins he appeared fine.....& I felt like a huge wally!!

mum arrived in an absolute state & was clearly shocked to see him sat in ambulance playing with an ear probe, little ***!

theyve taken him to hospital to check him over anyway,
im emotionally drained & although i know i did the right thing feel like mum thinks i was being dramatic :0(

You did absolutely the right thing. Sounds scary. Hope LO is actually okay.

xxx

Ripeberry
12-03-2014, 04:39 PM
You did the right thing! The mum should be thanking you! Hope you get a chance to relax this evening. Must have been so scary :(

smurfette
12-03-2014, 06:03 PM
That's scary well done you... Mum should
Not have sent him to you today, and certainly should have been more available than she was! If she gives you any flack it will be because she is cross with herself., hope she isn't though! Not being able to rouse him is exactly what ambulance is for and better safe than sorry! Big glass of wine for you tonight!

Kirstylob
12-03-2014, 06:20 PM
No way were you being dramatic! You had difficulty rousing him and had been told to watch for signs of concussion. We all would have done the same. Hope he's ok. Xx

sing-low
12-03-2014, 06:30 PM
You did absolutely the right thing. The paramedics will have seen recoveries like your LO's before. It's not uncommon. Hugs to you.

JCrakers
12-03-2014, 06:55 PM
You did the right thing, would she rather arrive and see her little one ok with the care and attention he needs or would she like to arrive to see that you had done nothing to help him.

As a parent I know which one I'd choose, well done you !!

cathtee
12-03-2014, 08:01 PM
You did what any caring person would do, shame mom couldn't have kept him at home and done the same:mad:

Shamai
12-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Well done on taking action when you did - what a horrible experience for you. Relax this evening knowing you did the right thing, even if the Mum thinks you are over-reacting, better than under-reacting like she did :panic: You just cannot take chances with head injuries so don't feel bad.

Don't forget to write up incident first thing tomorrow while its fresh in your mind, and get Mum to sign it.

Big hugs xx

blue bear
12-03-2014, 08:43 PM
Well done, you did all the right things,goodness little one has a big bang to the head,mummy is told to monitor for three days,sends him offf to childminder and too busy to come straight out to him when you ring worried?
I'd be having stern words.