PDA

View Full Version : Not worth it?

SonnysMummy
22-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Hello:)
Got a call from a lady today asking if i could have her child after school, one day a week from september...so basically 3 hours i week. I said no. It's not worth it is it? I'm desperate for some mindees but i really don't think this is worth it...did i do the right thing?:(

sarah707
22-07-2008, 08:32 PM
I have always done part timers so I would probably have said yes...

I would just make sure I charge extra for food, esp if the child was older and might eat a lot.

butterfly
22-07-2008, 08:33 PM
not sure it depends on what you want. It depends really how many spaces you have. I would have said yes because i have 3 spaces for after schoolies up to age 8 so need as many as poss. however i only have 1 space for an under 5 so i'm looking for mindees wanting as many hours as poss. I'm sure you'll get loads more enquiries any way so you'll be fine!!

miffy
22-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Some would do this but charge a minimum number of hours a week or, as Sarah said, charge extra for food.

If you are happy to wait for something more worthwhile financially to come along then that's fine.

Hope you get some more enquiries soon

Miffy xx

SonnysMummy
22-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Oh no!!! I've probably made a big mistake then:( What an idiot!!!:censored:

Rubybubbles
22-07-2008, 09:31 PM
In the past I would of said yes, because my own children didn't go to school so it got my face reconized in the school, but what you have to thing is for 3 hours would it be a tie, or not?

TBH I need the money so would do it! did you keep her number at all?

crazybones
23-07-2008, 06:12 AM
I would have done it because it may have fitted with my part-timers and you eventually end up filling empty days. But if it didnt fit in with you then maybe you did the right thing. As others have said though it would be a way of getting your face known at the school and also you would get experience and be able to advertise yourself as an experienced childminder. If you have her number perhaps you could ring her back and say your situation has changed.

miffy
23-07-2008, 06:31 AM
Oh no!!! I've probably made a big mistake then:( What an idiot!!!:censored:

You never know what's round the corner with this job - something better may come up or, if you've still got her number, you could ring her back

Miffy xx

wendywu
23-07-2008, 07:13 AM
Sometimes it starts a small job but ends up with a lot more days in the end. So if it was at a school i collect from i would have done it. I would charge 3 hours then an extra hour to collect, then food ontop.:)

kindredspirits
23-07-2008, 08:41 AM
i think its barely worth it - i had a woman who wanted me to look after her LO for 45 mins after school as she finished work at 4 and i said i would do it but she'd be charged my full afterschool rate of £50 per week - needless to say she didn't take it so it was the same as saying no, but if that LO took up a space that could have been filled by a full after schooler iykwim its pointless.

MissTinkerbell
23-07-2008, 12:52 PM
I had this a while back. I had an under 5 who only wanted 11 hours a week. Having only one under 5 space I said no because it wasn't worth it. I really regretted it the next day because it would have been some income. However four days after that another mum phoned for her 18 month old - 43 hours a week.

So you rerally never do know what is around the corner.

childminder54
23-07-2008, 01:15 PM
i think its barely worth it - i had a woman who wanted me to look after her LO for 45 mins after school as she finished work at 4 and i said i would do it but she'd be charged my full afterschool rate of £50 per week - needless to say she didn't take it so it was the same as saying no, but if that LO took up a space that could have been filled by a full after schooler iykwim its pointless.
how much do you charge for before and after school..

veronicaxxxx

Chimps Childminding
25-07-2008, 05:34 PM
I will have a similar problem next year - a lo i look after will start school and her mum wants me to have after school (mum works 10 - 4) so she will drop off at school in the morning and lo will come to me from 3.30 till mum gets here at 4.30! one hour a day, 3 days a week!

Not quite sure what I am going to do, as it is a pain with having to pick my sons up from high school as they finish at 4 so she will come home, go straight in the car to pick the boys up and then race back in time for mum to pick her up - not sure when I will get EYFS done on her!!!!!!!!!! but I have had her since she was 6 months old so don't really feel I can say no!