PDA

View Full Version : space and storage....how do you cope?

sab
11-03-2014, 04:36 PM
Hi im currently in the process of registering as a childminder and just wondered how you cope without a play room? I have a 3bed with 2 young children but dont really want mindees playing with all their toys but with all the new toys and resources I need to get I don't know where im going to store everything.

I only have a large lounge and a resonanly sized kitchen/diner plus a utility. What clever storage ideas do you use?

Kaybeaa
11-03-2014, 07:12 PM
I keep mine in the attic in boxes but do you have a garage or shed? Quite a lot of CMs keep theirs in outside buildings.

Glitter
11-03-2014, 07:18 PM
I bought a big cupboard to keep resources in. The rule is if it won't fit in the cupboard I can't buy it. This stops me from buying to many toys.

The other things, like pushchairs, are hidden all over the house. In the porch, under beds, or even under the kitchen table.

sing-low
11-03-2014, 08:27 PM
I've decided recently that toys have to 'pay their way'. If it's not being played with, and especially if it's big, it's going to Oxfam! Obviously within reason, I'm not getting rid of all my baby toys just because my LOs have outgrown them but the enjoyment they get from pots and wooden spoons or playing in the garden shows how little you really need.

JoRo163
11-03-2014, 08:30 PM
I have a shed which is mainly used for CM stuff, so toys & other equipment.

Then the key is ROTATE!! I have an average size 2 bed house, with no play room. It is doable, but you have to be organised. I have everything in plastic boxes so easily movable

MAWI
11-03-2014, 09:08 PM
Hi im currently in the process of registering as a childminder and just wondered how you cope without a play room? I have a 3bed with 2 young children but dont really want mindees playing with all their toys but with all the new toys and resources I need to get I don't know where im going to store everything.

I only have a large lounge and a resonanly sized kitchen/diner plus a utility. What clever storage ideas do you use?

I've gone from having a large playroom in my old 4 bd house to a small 3 Bed house. It is difficult. I've already got too much and haven't even got all resources. I am in the same boat and looking for lots of ideas. I think the advice is right, ROTATATION is the key. I'm going to have as much as possible out basics such as Trains/Happyland/music toys/books/baby toys/ puzzles/dolls but use storage crates and stack toys in the Garage/upstairs in any nook or cranny. I Will use a photo book and picture wall for the children so that they can ask for toys not out. Arts and crafts stored under the stairs in one of those 3 tier things with plastic drawers from Argos. Gets pulled out place in the kitchen during the day then rolls back at night. That's one solution I have managed to do. Countless others. Hoping to also use some Storgae in the garden as others have mentioned.
Good luck.
P.s I used to work in a packaway Preschool setting and it is amazing how much can be stored in one cupboard if you play a bit of Tetris.

sab
12-03-2014, 06:04 PM
Thanks all, I guess lots of storage boxes and rotation it is. I have been looking around my house to see where I can stash toys, behind my sofa, clear space in garage and under the stairs lol. Like the idea of storage on castors, will definitely have to try that :)