PDA

View Full Version : WHat are your views on sleep mats?

Mouse
11-03-2014, 01:14 PM
I often have 3 or 4 mindees sleeping after lunch. They are all outgrowing my travel cots and pushchairs, so I am looking at alternatives.

I want something easy to store, easy to set up and comfortable.

I have looked at inflatable ready beds and sleep mats. Does anyone use either? What are your thoughts on them?

I like the idea of sleep mats being easier to store, but I don't know if I like the idea of children being on such a thin mat so close to the ground.

little chickee
11-03-2014, 01:21 PM
Sleep mats are fine.
I camp reguarly with Scouts and we all sleep on sleep mats and thats outside in the winter so inside a house - perfectly fine.
I have mindees who chose to sleep on the floor so its better than that.

You can get really good self inflating mats which are a bit comfier.

loocyloo
11-03-2014, 01:55 PM
I use the value exercise mats from argos ( bonus as waterproof! )
I made big pillow case type covers to go over them and each one has a fleece blanket.
They don't fold up particularly small but easy to store behind the door!

Maza
11-03-2014, 02:09 PM
I think they are okay too, as long as you know your floor is clean (well, as clean as a childminder's floor can be). The lower they are to the ground, the colder it can be and so you may want to provide them with an extra or thicker blanket. Obviously, the little ones might just get up before they fall asleep or as soon as they wake up, so you need to make sure you have risk assessed that. I have started using one these last couple of months for the same reason as you and my mindee absolutely loves it. He loves the independence of being able to get himself into bed! We have ready beds for when my niece and nephew come over for the night. I wouldn't want to use them all the time though as they are time consuming to inflate and the kids get over excited by it all!

Simona
11-03-2014, 09:12 PM
I like bean bags...have made them for my children as big as beds...they love them!

QualityCare
12-03-2014, 08:12 AM
I use camping sleeping mats cheapskate that l am l cut them in half, still long enough they roll up for storage. Simona years ago when l worked in a childrens home 0-5yrs we used to use bean bags for the babies either to lie in or sleep on and were told that we shouln't as they retain there heat and young children can't regulate their body temp they were ok to use for older children who can get up and walk away it they got hot.

Mouse
12-03-2014, 08:43 AM
Thanks everyone.

I do have couple of beanbag that the older ones like to chill on. They don't usually sleep, but they'll grab a blanket and tuck themselves in for a rest.

I think I might get a couple of camping mats to try :thumbsup:

Simona
12-03-2014, 09:09 AM
I use camping sleeping mats cheapskate that l am l cut them in half, still long enough they roll up for storage. Simona years ago when l worked in a childrens home 0-5yrs we used to use bean bags for the babies either to lie in or sleep on and were told that we shouln't as they retain there heat and young children can't regulate their body temp they were ok to use for older children who can get up and walk away it they got hot.

Sorry I was not clear on this
I use bean bags for the older children not babies as they have a cot or a buggy for sleep.