PDA

View Full Version : Nursery Managers have asked how they can work better with childminders!

hectors house
11-03-2014, 09:40 AM
I have been asked to attend a Nursery Managers cluster meeting this afternoon as they would like to have a childminder representative present as they would like to ask me how they can work better with childminders and meet our needs more effectively!

If you were given the opportunity to tell Nursery Managers what they could do to support Partnership working, what would you suggest?

I have come up with several questions to ask them about how they would like us to prepare children to be Nursery Ready, how they would like us to communicate with them ie: phone or e-mail and whether they find the review on a child that I send before child starts useful (I include development stage, likes/dislikes, interests, characteristics of learning).

But am finding it hard to think of how I want them to work better - as at the moment I have 2 children at different Nurseries and although I have visited once on my day off and chatted with Key workers, I have never received anything back - the copies of their reviews, I only get if parents photocopy it for me. So anything they do will be an improvement!

Really feeling daunted at attending this Managers meeting - yes I am the manager and owner of my setting, but what I say will be minuted and hopefully be actioned, so I want to get this right.

QualityCare
11-03-2014, 10:07 AM
I would like to see nursery staff do a home visit at the childminders house as well as a home visit with parents also to make time to talk to us about the children not just the parents we have a shared information form nurserys should as well (l have never come across a nursery that does this), if a child is already with a childminder it would be signed on admission if child starts after they have been at the nursery form could be given to childminder to pass on.

LG2014
11-03-2014, 10:42 AM
Hi,

Checklist on what nursery like childminders to do is s good

How about arranging visits with childminders so childminder can visit setting and be part of transition progress (with parents permission) as I believe not all nurseries do this.

Having meetings prior to child starting nursery with childminders and parents so that key information/learning journeys/Assessment can be discussed and plans put in place x

loocyloo
11-03-2014, 11:41 AM
Arrange to meet with childminder to discuss development etc like they do with parents but maybe before a parent's evening so a shared report can be given. Involve childminder in summative assessment.
Value and appreciate childminders and what we do! Accept that we know what we are doing!
Ask childminder what working on/ theme at childminder setting and add it to what they do.
I like the idea of visiting child at childminders before starting.

hectors house
11-03-2014, 01:13 PM
Thank you for your suggestions - if anyone else has anything to add, I have another 2 hours to work on my list!

How many of you have a good working relationship with Nurseries, what makes it good, what do they share? Topics & planning, Observations, wow moments, are you allowed to look at the Learning Journals when parents have them at home, are your views included on 2 year reviews (where child attends Nursery more than you)?

Simona
11-03-2014, 01:26 PM
I think this is a really good opportunity to start proper relationships with nurseries....I would also add preschools in this
I wish all LAs would facilitate this

My only question to you Hector House is in the message you received:

'they would like to ask me how they can work better with childminders and meet our needs more effectively!'

A bit unclear as to why they feel we have 'unmet' needs...I am sure you will find that out

All other suggestions are good about home visits, sharing info and LJs and visiting

All the best of luck to you and please feedback

hectors house
11-03-2014, 01:31 PM
I think this is a really good opportunity to start proper relationships with nurseries....I would also add preschools in this
I wish all LAs would facilitate this

My only question to you Hector House is in the message you received:

'they would like to ask me how they can work better with childminders and meet our needs more effectively!'

A bit unclear as to why they feel we have 'unmet' needs...I am sure you will find that out

All other suggestions are good about home visits, sharing info and LJs and visiting

All the best of luck to you and please feedback

Thanks Simone, I must admit "meet our needs more effectively" has confused me too - I will feedback later

amylouise867
11-03-2014, 02:15 PM
In addition to what has been added how about sharing planning so you know what the children are doing in school so you too can extend/work on their topics a little.

Invite you into their settings to help out with activities, trips etc if you have free days. This helps you learn how they like to go about teaching certain things too, it helps the team around the child build relationships.

Maybe allow you into school once or twice a term to talk about the child's development and see where they feel the child is at and compare notes and ideas on how to bring their learning forward.

If they have any particular facilities such as the library, sensory room, quiet areas - allow you to book these out for your childminding children to access.

Maybe they could offer 'loans' on some of their toys too.

I think the visiting childminders in their home is a great idea too!! After all some children spend more time at their childminders home than they do at their own.

How about seeing if there is any trips on that would be suitable for you too. Team up?

Look forward to hearing what comes back from your meeting :)

Offer you to attend after school clubs of interest?

Good luck and don't be nervous I'm sure it will flow nicely for you :) xx

amylouise867
11-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Another thing-

Most schools have their own websites now.

Some areas are locked by passwords for parents/carers etc to access so they can view photos, see future plans at the school, trip info, school being closed on snow days and so on.

- would he great to gain access to these areas so you too can get messages of what your children are doing at school and what's going on in the local community.

They could even set up a separate page to add information for childminders?

xx

hectors house
11-03-2014, 06:51 PM
Another thing-

Most schools have their own websites now.

Some areas are locked by passwords for parents/carers etc to access so they can view photos, see future plans at the school, trip info, school being closed on snow days and so on.

- would he great to gain access to these areas so you too can get messages of what your children are doing at school and what's going on in the local community.

They could even set up a separate page to add information for childminders?

xx

Thank you Amy some great ideas there, unfortunately I didn't see your reply before I went to the meeting, but it all went very well - this has all come about due to the manager of the Cluster meeting attending a meeting on "School Readiness and Transition" - where they want to encourage effective communication between schools, nurseries, childrens centres and childminders.

I put forward my views on how important it is to all be working together - the Cluster group has decided to invite reception teachers to some of the meetings to find out what transition info they want from them (and whether they even read it!) and to send one of the Nursery managers to our next meeting to find out what can be done to work better effectively. I really got the feeling that the Cluster group Chair really wants to find a way to make this work rather than just tick a box for Ofsted, but not quite so sure how enthusiastic the other Nursery managers were but one has volunteered to attend our next meeting, so hopefully she will feed back to the Nursery group at their next meeting and something could be in place by September.

I will keep you all updated - perhaps our town could not just be a flagship for setting up it's own Independent Childminding group but will also for finding a way to make other settings communicate with each other. "I have a Dream"! :D

shortstuff
11-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Thank you for putting our side forward and feeding back x brill job x

Simona
11-03-2014, 07:13 PM
Thank you Amy some great ideas there, unfortunately I didn't see your reply before I went to the meeting, but it all went very well - this has all come about due to the manager of the Cluster meeting attending a meeting on "School Readiness and Transition" - where they want to encourage effective communication between schools, nurseries, childrens centres and childminders.

I put forward my views on how important it is to all be working together - the Cluster group has decided to invite reception teachers to some of the meetings to find out what transition info they want from them (and whether they even read it!) and to send one of the Nursery managers to our next meeting to find out what can be done to work better effectively. I really got the feeling that the Cluster group Chair really wants to find a way to make this work rather than just tick a box for Ofsted, but not quite so sure how enthusiastic the other Nursery managers were but one has volunteered to attend our next meeting, so hopefully she will feed back to the Nursery group at their next meeting and something could be in place by September.

I will keep you all updated - perhaps our town could not just be a flagship for setting up it's own Independent Childminding group but will also for finding a way to make other settings communicate with each other. "I have a Dream"! :D

Well done.....a small step today could be a giant leap in the future for all of us?
It can only be in our and the children's interests to work together...not sure why it is taking so long to materialise

Sounds to me there are others in that group who need their needs met?
keep us posted :thumbsup: