PDA

View Full Version : Studying - Reasons for

JCrakers
10-03-2014, 02:13 PM
I have a level 3 (NNEB) which I did in 1994. This was a 2yr full time course and it has gave me a huge amount of knowledge which I have been able to use as a nanny and now a childminder. :thumbsup:

I haven't really thought about doing a higher level in childcare as I'm quite happy at the moment and definitely wouldn't find the time to study and I take my hat off (If I wore one) to anyone finding time to study :D

I know its always a good idea to better ones self and gain further knowledge and I know its not all about money but unlike other professions there's no financial gain. I could still only charge £3.50 if I was level 5 as that's the going rate.

I do keep up to date with courses and internet info but I've not really thought about advancing my qualification as I know that someday I will want to do something else. I've been working with children for 20yrs and although I'm still absolutely loving it I don't think I'll do it for much longer than a couple more years. I'm tired and as my own children are advancing through teenage years I'm finding that I'm liking time to myself more, without doing something for someone all the time.

People who are studying, - are you doing it to advance onto another job or just to better yourself as a childminder? :D
Just curious :D

loocyloo
10-03-2014, 05:34 PM
I did my NNEB in 1989 ... and about 5 years ago I did the diploma in homebased childcare (level 3) as I wanted to update my knowledge as when I did NNEB the children's act didn't exist etc! I found it very interesting and useful.
I am deliberating starting a foundation course/doing a degree most probably in early years as that is the area I've always worked in and it still fascinates me. But I would be doing it for me and my personal satisfaction as i don't need it to change my job!
I'm currently doing forest school training and have other linked courses I want to do once finished. This will again, inform my practice and benefit my mindees but I won't be able to increase my fees!

tulip0803
10-03-2014, 05:54 PM
I love doing courses. I do them for my enjoyment and to benefit my childminding.

I did the Certificate of Childminding Practice when I first started childminding (ICP 2001, DCP 2002, ECP 2003 to complete it). I then did a year doing High/scope implementation training (working as a playworker 2006), Higher Certificate of Education in Welsh and Bilingualism In the Early Years (lvl4) (working as a childminder and playworker 2008), NVQ L3 CCLD and L3 technical CCLD and CCLD apprenticeship (working as a playworker and a childminder 2011).

I am now working as a childminder only and also thinking about doing the Foundation degree in childhood studies.

Again I do this for my own benefit, My personal satsification and to do my best for the children in my care. I am not changing jobs I love childminding and will continue to do it for the foreseeable future. My own children are older DS in twenties, DD1 in late teens, DD2 is 10. so it could be that in 2015 there could be 3 of us doing uni degrees :eek:.

I can't charge any more than the local rate and sometimes that grates when a new childminder comes along with no experience/qualifications and charges the same but then I have waiting lists and she doesn't, my vacancies fill quickly. I know others will say you can break through the local rate but they are not in this area.

samb
10-03-2014, 06:01 PM
I have a mixture of reasons as to why...

To do something for me
To better myself as a childminder
To show my commitment to parents too
To possibly move on from childminding (not sure if anything I might do would need a degree anyway)
My current qualifications will not count towards doing the degree soon and at the moment I can use credit transfer so if I don't do it now I will have to start from scratch in a couple of years
And because i like the thought of using my brain for something I find Interesting instead of watching tv which I do far too much of!

I would like to think if I applied for a job in a few years I might be more appealing to employers than someone who has less but not for more money if you see what I mean?

I think it's actually reasonable to charge slightly higher if you have more experience / qualifications even if just 10p an hour more.

samb
10-03-2014, 06:02 PM
Forgot to say I have a level 5 HND in the care of early years and have just been accepted to top up to BA hons early childhood studies! Aaaagh! :-)

manjay
10-03-2014, 06:16 PM
Forgot to say I have a level 5 HND in the care of early years and have just been accepted to top up to BA hons early childhood studies! Aaaagh! :-)

Sounds like you managed to get somewhere to accept your existing qualifications?:thumbsup:

samb
10-03-2014, 06:32 PM
Sounds like you managed to get somewhere to accept your existing qualifications?:thumbsup:

Yes manjay :-) I have put details on the original thread I started- the one in Wales would only accept it if under 5 years old- many said the same. I'm going with Doncaster.

amyp
10-03-2014, 06:33 PM
I am a qualified primary teacher and am looking at a masters in early years. I enjoy studying and don't think ill child mind forever. I am 30 and have a 16 month old- but who knows! I just love studying!

JCrakers
12-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Thankyou for your replies. :D Its nice to see different reasons and although I'm not thinking of studying at the moment it might be something to consider when I have more time.

I'm starting to think about the future and I'm unsure of what I want to do. I've worked with children since the age of 19 but helped my Mum out from the age of 10yrs when she had my brother. She then went on to have two more babies when I was 13 and 16 so I've been around babies from an age where I felt the need to help her out.

Now, after 20yrs I'm unsure if I need a change soon. I've got some fantastic children and families so I wont be changing at the moment but I'm thinking 5-7yrs.

Who knows where anyone will be in 7yrs.......7yrs ago I was on here asking for advice about setting up. :D

Smiley
12-03-2014, 12:29 PM
I'm pleased to hear that samb, I'm currently doing the 1st year of my masters with Doncaster University Centre.

The Juggler
12-03-2014, 05:30 PM
Thankyou for your replies. :D Its nice to see different reasons and although I'm not thinking of studying at the moment it might be something to consider when I have more time.

I'm starting to think about the future and I'm unsure of what I want to do. I've worked with children since the age of 19 but helped my Mum out from the age of 10yrs when she had my brother. She then went on to have two more babies when I was 13 and 16 so I've been around babies from an age where I felt the need to help her out.

Now, after 20yrs I'm unsure if I need a change soon. I've got some fantastic children and families so I wont be changing at the moment but I'm thinking 5-7yrs.

Who knows where anyone will be in 7yrs.......7yrs ago I was on here asking for advice about setting up. :D

if you don't want to manage a nursery or go into leadership you won't need a level 4 but it might be nice to do when you have some time. You could think about lots of related jobs, support worker, family support worker, health visitor assistant (nursery nurse) or working in a nursery/preschool. If you want more of an early years advisor type role you might need to do your level 5 but depends on what you want to do.

good luck whatever you decide.