PDA

View Full Version : Confusion over the EYE GCSE requirements

Simona
10-03-2014, 10:09 AM
What are your views?

Confusion over Early Years Educator GCSE requirements | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nursery-world/news/1142577/confusion-educator-gcse-requirements)

gef918
10-03-2014, 10:42 AM
I find a working knowledge of trigonometry to be essential in my role as a childminder

And my 3 year olds are constantly asking me to quote 'Romeo and Juliet' :p

tulip0803
10-03-2014, 11:10 AM
I have English and Maths grade C or above but CSE & o'level because I am old :rolleyes: - I also have "functional skills" level 2 application of number and communication supposed to be equal to GCSE maths & English. But apparently I would need to do my GCSE English and Maths before I could do this course!!! - not that I will do it as I have level 3 NVQ already. So it excludes against oldies too.

Makes no sense like most of what this government does.

Like Gef says I am always using the level of maths & English that I did at o'level with my mindees - all 4 and under

shortstuff
10-03-2014, 11:19 AM
Where is the issue? I had to have c or above in English and maths before I could do the CYPOP5.

It is just making it a level playing field for all. Also you would need the English to be able to complete the work to a satisfactory level and the maths to actually run the financial side of your business. There is nothing taxing in gaining these qualifications. Also if you dont already have them you complete a test to demonstrate you are at the required level.

FussyElmo
10-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Im in two minds about this

A) No we don't need it (however in most walks of life you will never need trigonometry and a working knowledge of Shakespeare until you child get old enough to be studying it)

B) Most professions require English maths and a science at c or above so why should childcare be any different.

Simona
10-03-2014, 11:29 AM
If you feel strongly ...one way or another...please input your views in the PLA #EY Agenda survey
EYE is one of the issues you can express your views on

https://www.pre-school.org.uk/whats-new/early-years-survey?dm_i=1LR1,28RKQ,BA72IB,84HGI,1

Audipops
10-03-2014, 12:11 PM
I think it's important that childcare is seen as a profession. In order to raise the status of childminding in society maybe one of the first steps is to raise the level of qualifications required. Maybe them people wouldn't just see us as babysitters.

Jayse74
10-03-2014, 12:57 PM
Also stop the media panning us all! It is slowly teaching parents that maybe we are not the right choice after all :(

I have filled out that survey! Made sure the comment boxes were full as well.

I agree it is important to have a good grasp on Math and English, but if you have not done so well at school and then made up for it later in life! why should you be punished again and again?

LauraS
10-03-2014, 01:49 PM
I have English and Maths grade C or above but CSE & o'level because I am old :rolleyes: - I also have "functional skills" level 2 application of number and communication supposed to be equal to GCSE maths & English. But apparently I would need to do my GCSE English and Maths before I could do this course!!! - not that I will do it as I have level 3 NVQ already. So it excludes against oldies too. Makes no sense like most of what this government does. Like Gef says I am always using the level of maths & English that I did at o'level with my mindees - all 4 and under

I would hope that o level would be seen an equivalent but you can never tell. I have the gcses but don't have my certificates anymore as proof and for various reasons (long story) cannot replace them. I also have maths and English at a-level and have the certificates for those, and whilst some educational establishments will accept the a levels as an alternative, some won't. Notably, the college where I took the cypop wouldn't, plus another local college and a university a few years back. If they are going to impose these rules I wish there would be some consistency and common sense.

JCrakers
10-03-2014, 02:24 PM
I had to have 3 or 4 GCSE's C and above to get onto my NNEB course in 1991. Cant remember if it was 3 or 4.

I only had 2 in English (lit and Lang) and 1 for Textiles. I received a D in Maths because I was ill on the exam day and couldn't concentrate on the paper. :(

So, I had to do a Year of BTEC in Caring first before I could do the NNEB.