View Full Version : Do Childminders have to have yearly Gas safety checks?

10-03-2014, 09:33 AM
My central heating is only used on the odd occasion whilst i am working,(and whilst its mild it wont be on atall in daytime) Other than that my log fire is on in daytime when its chilly.I have used the same gas safety check company for a few years,but as my business has been much quieter than usual for a while then i can't really afford to pay out between £40 and £45 in one go if its something i don't neccesarily need.Its an expensive month as it is for me with all sorts to pay out for.I have never had any probs with my boiler,cooker and my fire when they have been checked,and i don't use my cooker for minded ones.I live in Wales (incase different rules apply in England!) I cant remember whether or not my inspector asked about my gas safety check!

10-03-2014, 09:52 AM
Personally I would not mess about, gas boilers whether you have the heating on or not (what about your hot water?) can be very dangerous. You need to get the annual safety check done. Do you have a proper carbon monoxide detecter? You wouldn't know if there was a problem and your boiler was leaking carbon monoxide, it can happen for a number of reasons which wouldn't necessarily affect the workings of the boiler. You really shouldn't be blasé about gas appliances.


10-03-2014, 09:55 AM
Thanks AliceK. Yes hot water used all the time (which i forgot about!!) I have a proper carbon monoxide detecter

10-03-2014, 10:03 AM
I would compare the safety of a boiler to that of our car...if we use it for business....where we have an MOT and service done every year
Boilers usually have a guarantee and that is valid if we have the appliances checked regularly by a Gas Safe engineer

Again the EYFS is the document to follow in this instance (p23-24)

Safety and suitability of premises, environment and equipment
3.53 Providers must ensure that their premises, including outdoor spaces, are fit for purpose. Spaces, furniture, equipment and toys, must be safe for
children to use and premises must be secure. Providers must keep premises and equipment clean, and be aware of, and comply with, requirements of health and safety legislation (including hygiene requirements). Providers must have, and implement, a health and safety policy, and procedures, which cover identifying, reporting and dealing with accidents, hazards and faulty equipment.

3.54 Providers must take reasonable steps to ensure the safety of children, staff and others on the premises in the case of fire or any other emergency, and must have an emergency evacuation procedure. Providers must have appropriate fire detection and control equipment (for example, fire alarms, smoke detectors, and fire extinguishers) which is in working order. Fire exits must be clearly identifiable, and fire doors must be free of obstruction and easily opened from the inside.

Take a look and decide on what actions you need to take

hectors house
10-03-2014, 10:12 AM
I don't have my boiler serviced or tested - I have a carbon monoxide alarm. Where would you draw the line - PAT testing for each electrical appliance too?

watford wizz
10-03-2014, 11:15 AM
I have full gas check on all appliances, electric check every 5 years and chimney check and sweep every year for my own family safety as well as childminding x

10-03-2014, 12:54 PM
Yes I do have my gas safety certificate done every year. It is in my childminding folder

10-03-2014, 01:11 PM
Never ever lapse on this!

We even have a Carbon meter in the minding room which constantly tests the air! It detects anything wrong it will soon let you know with its alarm. It does not mean you can be complacent it just means an extra tool in your arsenal of being safe and providing a secure setting :)

10-03-2014, 01:22 PM
Hi Snow white

I am in Wales and I have an annual check on my oil boiler

Looking at NMS Standard 24.18 "Where required by relevant legislation, gas, electrical, oil and coal burning appliances and fittings, including central heating systems and fires are regularly checked by an approved technician. Such appliances must conform to safety requirements, are to be appropriately guarded and must not cause a hazard to children. Appropriate certification must be kept and be available for inspection by CSSIW."

On 2 out of the 3 inspections I have had the CSSIW inspector has asked to see my safety certificate and on my pre-reg it was an action. So I would assume that the boiler service is required by relevant legislation whatever fuel it is powered by.

Standard 22.6 also says "Rooms are maintained to a temperature of at least 18 degrees Centigrade (65 degrees Fahrenheit)." So heating is quite vital I have thermometers in each room to ensure that the temperature is correct.

10-03-2014, 01:41 PM
I would definately get a check done.

If your property is rented I was under the impression it is up to your landlord to do this every year, if it is your own property I think it is wise to pay for the check, well done for having the detector, even with a gas check faults still arise. :thumbsup:

10-03-2014, 01:45 PM
I have a safety check done every year and i am very glad i do as my co2 detector must have had a fault and the guys found I had a problem and immediately condemned my boiler. Without the check we could all be dead. Oh and I was one of those who routinely check the monitor also.

It might sound dramatic but I would always rather be safe than sorry.

If you sing up to the monthly direct debit of one of the major companies it provides an annual check as part of the package.

10-03-2014, 02:07 PM
Thanks all.x

10-03-2014, 05:14 PM
As Tulip says it is a requirement in Wales. I have always been asked to provide my certificates at each inspection:thumbsup: