PDA

View Full Version : Day nurseries extending to wraparound care

Simona
08-03-2014, 09:11 PM
Any thoughts on this?
NDNA have released their research into the shortfall of funding and other matters...it looks like many nurseries are already doing wraparound care and many proposing to extend into this area

What will it mean for Cms businesses in future?

http://www.ndna.org.uk/Resources/NDNA/Public%20Factsheets/Nursery%20Survey%20report%20-%20England.pdf

amyp
09-03-2014, 07:22 AM
I think that parents already know of they want a nursery or CM as the setting and care is different-all parents who come to me say we haven't looked at nurseries as we think a CM is right for us.

Hopefully it won't affect CMs

Mouse
09-03-2014, 07:40 AM
Most of the nurseries in our area operate a wrap around service, dropping and collecting children from school. There are some parents who use this as their first choice, particularly if the child went to that nursery prior to starting school. The majority though use it when they can't get a childminder to cover the wrap around care. Some of our schools have no childminders at all going to them, so parents have no choice but to use the nurseries or after school clubs.

That's an interesting read. If you substituted the word 'nursery' for 'childminder' I think it pretty much sums up our situation. I guess we forget that private nurseries are also struggling and facing uncertainty. It seems that school nurseries are the only winners in all of this - although I guess the teachers would probably disagree when they're faced with talk of extended hours and taking on 2 year olds!

FussyElmo
09-03-2014, 07:48 AM
Most of the nurseries in our area operate a wrap around service, dropping and collecting children from school. There are some parents who use this as their first choice, particularly if the child went to that nursery prior to starting school. The majority though use it when they can't get a childminder to cover the wrap around care. Some of our schools have no childminders at all going to them, so parents have no choice but to use the nurseries or after school clubs.

That's an interesting read. If you substituted the word 'nursery' for 'childminder' I think it pretty much sums up our situation. I guess we forget that private nurseries are also struggling and facing uncertainty. It seems that school nurseries are the only winners in all of this - although I guess the teachers would probably disagree when they're faced with talk of extended hours and taking on 2 year olds!

Same in this area this is nothing new nurseries run after school clubs and holiday clubs.

blue bear
09-03-2014, 07:57 AM
ours don't offer wrap around as yet but it's coming. one of the nurseries are very keen but as they run from a council building they are finding it difficult to get permission as the councillors support the only after school club (its a very nice but old fashioned community where people are expected not to step on each others toes)
We are expecting a massive increase in families shortly and to be honest we are struggling to provide enough childcare and after school care for the existing families so something will happen, I suspect a very cheap after school club in each primary school, much like the breakfast club that only charges the cost of breakfast not for the care, where the children are safe and offered quiet activities to keep them occupied until school starts.

Its definitely an uneasy time at the moment :panic:

FussyElmo
09-03-2014, 08:05 AM
We have more nurseries offering wrap around care than we do childminders at our local school. In fact come September there will only be me as two are/have retired and one will be on maternity.

Mouse
09-03-2014, 09:25 AM
We must have a dozen registered childminders at our school (and several unregistered), but it's still not enough. There are also 2 nurseries that do wrap around care and one play group that runs a breakfast club from the school hall. Several of the childminders work with assistants and are up to their maximum numbers of under and over 8s.

There really isn't much parental choice - most of them have to take what they can get. The nursery wrap around care and the breakfast club seem to work best for parents who might only need occasional care as they do offer pay-as-you-go care. Childminders are often the first choice for those needing regular care.

Tazmin68
09-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Hi
We have three nurseries that offer wrap around care plus there are four minders including myself we all manage fine. I must admit when my youngest leaves primary school which is around the same time that we sill have paid off our mortgage I'm very tempted into only having the pre school children.

rickysmiths
09-03-2014, 04:09 PM

The extended hours for Teachers has already been sorted and their current contract will not be changed so Teachers won't be operating wrap around care any time soon. I think this is why truss has said that cm registration is being changed to allow us to be covered working out of our homes i.e. running the before and after school care in schools. She knows Nurseries won't because they are stuck with expensive premises to run. We are the only ones who could be mobile.

None of the Nurseries in my area currently offer this service and they would have to extend their Premises in order to have the space for older after school/before school children and more staff and probably a car or two in order to pick up from schools because there is only one Nursery in the area that could walk to 3 schools but they don't have enough room. They wouldn't be allowed to build because the school whose grounds they are in have just used the available space changing the school from a one form entry to a 2 form entry .

sarah707
09-03-2014, 04:40 PM
Quite a few nurseries do it in our area - we have a lot of local nurseries!! Childminders are mostly still busy even with this ... and if Govt get their way and more parents do go back to work there will be even more demand :D