PDA

View Full Version : what courses would you find useful?

yummyripples
08-03-2014, 11:36 AM
I found that when I first did my childminding course I found it was all about looking after a childs wellbeing. First aid, healthy eating and safeguarding. Now all the courses are about how to educate - mark making, literacy, risk in play etc.
None of it is about strategies to look after the child. What I would find useful is how to cope with separation anxiety, how to get a baby to sleep when it is used to being rocked, how to deal with a temper tantrum. All the things that people come on here asking.
What would you like to see on a course?

Simona
08-03-2014, 12:05 PM
I found that when I first did my childminding course I found it was all about looking after a childs wellbeing. First aid, healthy eating and safeguarding. Now all the courses are about how to educate - mark making, literacy, risk in play etc.
None of it is about strategies to look after the child. What I would find useful is how to cope with separation anxiety, how to get a baby to sleep when it is used to being rocked, how to deal with a temper tantrum. All the things that people come on here asking.
What would you like to see on a course?

This is my wish list
1. Understanding attachments
2. Dealing with transitions including from home to childcare, setting to setting, settings to schools
3. How to engage meaningfully with other providers when we share care for a child
4. promoting positive mental health in EY settings and primary schools
5. Understanding 'teaching' as judged at inspections
6. how to engage with other professionals such as H/Visitors and Speech and Language therapists
7. The Common Core of Skills and Knowledge

blue bear
08-03-2014, 12:35 PM
Reminds me I want to do a manual handling course, must get it booked while there is still funding