PDA

View Full Version : 2yr olds parents wont let him walk

amyp
07-03-2014, 06:43 PM
They want him in a push chair on all outings- how would you approach this?

lisbet
07-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Are they maybe anxious about his safety out in the 'big wide world' without them and so want him cocooned in a pushchair?

If so, would taking the pushchair, but letting the LO walk on reins for part of the time ease the parents into it?

Or could you approach it from the 'promoting a healthy lifestyle' angle?

Hope you can get to the bottom of it and find a solution that you're all happy with x

Mouse
07-03-2014, 06:52 PM
I would have to find out why they wanted him in a pushchair all the time.

If it's a worry about his safety, maybe suggest you put him on reins when you are out?

AliceK
07-03-2014, 06:59 PM
I would just be quite blunt and say that at that age there are times when I would usually let a 2yr old walk safely with me. I'm not very good with tact when it comes to silly requests I'm afraid.

xxxx

amyp
07-03-2014, 07:13 PM
Day one we walked to the park on reins- he was great. I told the parents and they looked like I had cut off his legs- then later came back to me to say i mustn't take him out unless he is in the push chair. I'll work on them!

SYLVIA
07-03-2014, 07:24 PM
I would be asking for a very good reason why. At the age of 2 I'm looking for mindees to be walking quite a bit really. It's good for them and they have to start learning new boundaries about being out in the big wide world.

kellib
07-03-2014, 07:25 PM
Are they planning on sending LO to school in a pushchair?!

I have a 2 year old mindee who I get walking as much as possible, she behaves impeccably when we are out and never once moans about walking, unlike my older mindees!

A lot of the children who come to me are so used to being in cars all the time that I make them walk as much as possible. We used my car a lot over the winter due to the wet weather but now it's picking up I am planning on walking more with LO's.

sarah707
07-03-2014, 08:45 PM
We get them out of buggies and walking on reins as early as possible ... they love wandering around and learn so much more when they have freedom :D

sing-low
07-03-2014, 08:51 PM
Am I sensing a theme here, amyp? Same parents as the other thread you started? Sounds like they need bags of reassurance, for the sake of the LO. He needs to be allowed to take some risks.

amyp
08-03-2014, 07:24 AM
Yeap same parents! The LO can't even hold a cup or feed himself. I will see where this ends up! X

sing-low
08-03-2014, 08:31 AM
Oh dear, that's really not good. Sounds like parents can't let go of the baby stage but this puts him at serious risk of developmental delay. Can't hold a cup at age two?! What's that, 2 EYO bands behind?

But I suspect you'll have to work very hard to persuade his parents to 'let go'. Possibly the two year check will be an opportunity to bluntly tell them where he is at. Although I think I'd be doing starting points ASAP and then having a discussion with the parents. Problem is, if you push too hard, they may pull him out and it sounds like he desperately needs someone who will allow him to be two. Tricky.

Ripeberry
08-03-2014, 12:37 PM
Some parents like the 'safety' of the pushchair and cannot abide the thought of their child being on reigns like a 'dog'.

jackie 7
08-03-2014, 01:54 PM
I have a lo of 18 mts. He walks 1/2 to get to me. Mum used to carry him on back. He won't go in pushchair for them. When I needed s variation they said I had to use a pushchair to take him to the park. My lo is very much in charge at home!