PDA

View Full Version : Parent asked me to shut dog out all day

amyp
07-03-2014, 06:42 PM
A new parent has asked me to keep my dog outside all day- I have said no and recommended another childminder- what do you do with your dogs?

tulip0803
07-03-2014, 06:52 PM
My dog spent most of his time upstairs but only cos he was old and didn't need to be bothered by little people - when he was younger he was part of the family and wandered. I agree with you, I would not put any of my animals outside or shut them away on a parent request. I wouldn't be the right childminder for them and would suggest they looked elsewhere.

I take it she is worried about the dog for some reason

AliceK
07-03-2014, 06:57 PM
Surely she knew you had a dog when she signed up.
There is no way my dog(s) would be shut outside, they are part of my family. I do keep the dog separate, She mainly stays in the snug area of the kitchen, usually asleep or sometimes she can go and sit in the lounge which I do not use as a playroom. The children love her and always want to hug and kiss her but I don't trust any dog 100% so they are only allowed close contact with me supervising. She does sometimes go and sit at the stairgate which is on my kitchen and the children stroke her through the gate.

xxxx

Mrs Scrubbit
07-03-2014, 06:57 PM
I haven't got a dog but a few years back a parent ask me to keep my birds away from the area that their child would be in during the day...........my answer was ' I'm not as they are family pets and this is the enviroment I offer, the choice is yours!' ( must add they were not kept in the kitchen). So in my opinion you did the right thing xxx

Mrs Scrubbit
07-03-2014, 07:07 PM
Surely she knew you had a dog when she signed up.
There is no way my dog(s) would be shut outside, they are part of my family. I do keep the dog separate, She mainly stays in the snug area of the kitchen, usually asleep or sometimes she can go and sit in the lounge which I do not use as a playroom. The children love her and always want to hug and kiss her but I don't trust any dog 100% so they are only allowed close contact with me supervising. She does sometimes go and sit at the stairgate which is on my kitchen and the children stroke her through the gate.

xxxx

Just to say I'm not referring to your comments( didn't even see your post) about having animals in the kitchen, but as birds can get abit 'flappy at times' I don't keep them near food prep, cooking and eating areas so this parent couldn't really complain ( I felt) and her son did not have an allergy either xx

amyp
07-03-2014, 07:12 PM
Odd thing was I have had the boy already he loved the dog! I said this to the parents and they said they don't want the dog in the house. Mum has a fear. But the child squealed with delight!

dawn100
07-03-2014, 07:45 PM
I have dogs one of which prefers to be outside during the day another's favourite spot is in the kitchen or lean to, they don't come into the rooms where I predominantly cm but whilst one of my dogs generally likes to be outside I would never shut her out on a parents request, I always reassure parents that their child will never be unsupervised with the dogs and that they don't come into the rooms i cm from but they are part of my house and family and if they have a problem with that they should look elsewhere as I'm clearly not the cm for them.

sing-low
07-03-2014, 08:24 PM
i would try and reassure Mum that you will keep her boy safe. Talk through your RA for your dog with her. Ultimately, they knew you had a dog when they chose you so it's a bit late now to be making demands. It should have been discussed (raised by them) before contracts were signed.

amylouise867
07-03-2014, 08:43 PM
You did the right thing.

It's his home and it would be very unfair and cruel to push him away.

I know it's hard with all these stories you hear in the news about dogs too but she has to respect your home and everyone in it xxx

AliceK
07-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Just to say I'm not referring to your comments( didn't even see your post) about having animals in the kitchen, but as birds can get abit 'flappy at times' I don't keep them near food prep, cooking and eating areas so this parent couldn't really complain ( I felt) and her son did not have an allergy either xx

Lol, thanks but don't worry. I saw that we had both posted at the same time :)
Xx

*daisychain*
08-03-2014, 07:48 AM
What a cheek ! My dog spends most the day upstairs by choice, but she enjoys walks with us and playing in the garden. Did they know you had a dog when they came ?

Tealady
08-03-2014, 09:48 AM
I personally don't like dogs unless I can see they are clean and well trained and then it takes me a long time to warm to them and trust them. Because of this I wouldn't choose a Childminder with a dog in the first place. I certainly wouldn't place my child only to make demands later.

amyp
08-03-2014, 02:49 PM
I asked them if they wanted to see the dog on their visit and they said no. The thing is I have an 11 stone St. Bernard so she is a horse of a dog! Oh well people are odd- I don't mind if they don't like the dog but they should have picked another childminder

little chickee
09-03-2014, 12:18 PM
I have 2 dogs.
They generally stay in the kitchen / diner during the day.
We only go through fo lunch and snacks.
I take minddes through and put them up to the tables.
Dogs stay in the kitchn / diner unless they sit begging for food then i put them into utility room or outside.
Dogs can come through to living room as long as i am there and kids are happy to have them there.

I have just had a potential customer visit who kept going on about dog attacks and where the dogs are kept during the day.
I do not expect her to sign up as she seems fixed on dog attacks.

Her loss!!

Jiorjiina
09-03-2014, 09:57 PM
Our dog wanders about with us all day. Since he's actually a lazy ****** what it actually means is that he's asleep on a sofa somewhere for most of the day. I just make sure he isn't left alone unsupervised with the mindees. I will shut him in another room if he does start getting boisterous though.

The kids love him, and he loves them. One set of parents actually chose me because I have a dog, because they wanted their child to grow up around them and not be afraid (mission definitely accomplished there! ;)).

Boris
10-03-2014, 08:42 PM
I certainly wouldn't put my dog outside all day for a parent! It's his home! He's very excitable and a bit crazy so I don't let him have much to do with the children (my choice, not theirs!). He stays in the kitchen mostly and has his own fenced off area in the garden but I do let him into the lounge for a cuddle with me when the children are in bed!

yummyripples
11-03-2014, 07:13 AM
We are hoping to get a dog and I must admit I am a bit concerned about it. I have risk assessed It and drawn up policies and procedures. I have spoken to my parents about it and they are more than happy. I just need to tell the parents of my new little one who is starting in sept - don't know how happy they will be!