PDA

View Full Version : Storing toys - categories??

NinkyNonk
07-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Hi, I'm in the process of registering with Ofsted so I'm trying to get myself all sorted. I just have a question with regards to storing the toys. I have a playroom (my kids are 8 and 10) and I've changed various bits to make it more child friendly again. I have storage units with plastic boxes for the toys - but I'm wondering, so I need to store the toys by categories if you know what I mean?? I'm guessing you'd put musical things together, arts and crafts, books, small world etc but some stuff we have is quite general? Hope I'm making sense!!

amylouise867
07-03-2014, 09:00 PM
Hi, I'm in the process of registering with Ofsted so I'm trying to get myself all sorted. I just have a question with regards to storing the toys. I have a playroom (my kids are 8 and 10) and I've changed various bits to make it more child friendly again. I have storage units with plastic boxes for the toys - but I'm wondering, so I need to store the toys by categories if you know what I mean?? I'm guessing you'd put musical things together, arts and crafts, books, small world etc but some stuff we have is quite general? Hope I'm making sense!!

Yes that's great if you can do that.
It also makes it easier to see what you have and what would be great to get if your low on something.

You can label your boxes too. I've seen people label them with words, by taking photos of what's in there and sticking on the outside and using photos and words.

Of course you don't have to label if you really don't want to but it might help the children seeing what is on offer.

You will find once you start sorting things out that every item will have a place.

It will help keep your space in order too. If everywhere has it's place it will make your life a lot easier.

You can get some wicker baskets too - if I get the farm out for example I set it up, place a few of the animals around but use the wicker baskets for my little ones to access all the other animals as they wish out the baskets.

They are also good for when little ones want to fill them up with various bits and pieces. I have lots of jar tops for example and my little one loves opening the tub they are in and filling up the baskets and then transporting them.

They are great for sorting too. I have various laminated category cards that I place in the baskets and children can sort out the mix match of objects around them.

I'm going off abit here.... But with you saying something's are general if you wish to get certain things out from a box but not all their content the baskets are great.

Hope that helps :) xx

NinkyNonk
10-03-2014, 12:28 PM
Yes that's great if you can do that.
It also makes it easier to see what you have and what would be great to get if your low on something.

You can label your boxes too. I've seen people label them with words, by taking photos of what's in there and sticking on the outside and using photos and words.

Of course you don't have to label if you really don't want to but it might help the children seeing what is on offer.

You will find once you start sorting things out that every item will have a place.

It will help keep your space in order too. If everywhere has it's place it will make your life a lot easier.

You can get some wicker baskets too - if I get the farm out for example I set it up, place a few of the animals around but use the wicker baskets for my little ones to access all the other animals as they wish out the baskets.

They are also good for when little ones want to fill them up with various bits and pieces. I have lots of jar tops for example and my little one loves opening the tub they are in and filling up the baskets and then transporting them.

They are great for sorting too. I have various laminated category cards that I place in the baskets and children can sort out the mix match of objects around them.

I'm going off abit here.... But with you saying something's are general if you wish to get certain things out from a box but not all their content the baskets are great.

Hope that helps :) xx

Thank you for that. I guess I need to get in the thinking of EYFS while sorting these out - it'll come eventually! Love the idea of wicker baskets - thanks. xx

Chatterbox Childcare
10-03-2014, 01:11 PM
I gave up storing in places as the children just change it all around and I couldn't do it by EYFS areas of learning as they all intermingle.

I would label your boxes with words and pictures as this gives clear choice to the children and Ofsted are hot on this. I took photo's of each boxes contents and then said what they were, laminated and stuck them to the boxes

misskft
10-03-2014, 02:18 PM
Where did you get the wicker baskets from?

amylouise867
10-03-2014, 09:00 PM
Where did you get the wicker baskets from?

Country Baskets - they do all sorts of shapes and sizes.

Ranging in price from like 40p-£15.

I will warn you though - you won't just buy wicker baskets especially if there is an occasion on like Easter, Christmas - so many lovely things.

Hope there is one by you! It's FAB! xx

blue bear
10-03-2014, 09:19 PM
Igot my baskets from candigifts online.