PDA

View Full Version : Ratio

BR23
07-03-2014, 12:21 PM
Hi all

I have my pre reg visit next Friday. I've already got children lined up etc but had another pArent visit this morning.

At the moment on a Thursday I will have 2 sets of siblings. One set is 8month old girl and 2yr old boy and the ones that came this morning. 1yr old boy and 3 yr old girl.

The first set will come 7:30-4:30. The second are wanting 7-1 for the 1 yo and 7-8:45 for the 3 yo. I've said this should be fine.

This will mean for just over an hour I will be over ratio. But would this class as continuity of care?! As j will be having them on the Wednesday 7-12:30. Do I ring ofsted to ok this once registered or how does it work?

Can anyone help please.

B x

gef918
07-03-2014, 12:28 PM
I think that this would be classed as new business rather than continuity of care, do I don't think that you can do it.

FussyElmo
07-03-2014, 12:41 PM
You will be registered for 3 under 5's. So you will not be able to take this second family on even if it is for an hour.

tulip0803
07-03-2014, 01:51 PM
Agree with fussy and gef. You will be registered for 3 children under 5 years (including any children of your own). You cannot take a child on knowing that they will take you over your numbers even for a very short space of time - you do not have a space available for that child.

New business cannot be classed as continuity of care as you are not providing any care to continue IYSWIM.

BR23
07-03-2014, 07:31 PM
Yeah I see what you mean. Would it usually be ofsted I would call and ask?

Going to try anyway can only try. I know people have had exceptions before so worth a try! X

amyp
07-03-2014, 07:46 PM
You can take them on then maybe that week the mum may change her hours and you have to provide continuity of care and take them for that hour? Say to the mum that you may need to change the contract the following week if she is happy to do that x

FussyElmo
07-03-2014, 07:58 PM

Going to try anyway can only try. I know people have had exceptions before so worth a try! X

Ofsted don't deal with variations anymore we have make our own judgement on the eyfs regulations.

However on this there is no exceptional circumstances for you to take on these children.

Is it worth risking a inadequate for you first grading and if the inspector deemed you were over minding they would wait with you while you decided which set of siblings you had to give notice too and their parents too come. if you already have one set of siblings then you only have one space.

bunyip
07-03-2014, 08:01 PM

Ofsted's usual reply to this sort of question is, "refer to EYFS". Irritating as it seems, they have good reasons for saying this. They are no longer foolish enough to leave themselves open to liability if things going wrong, and they are treating us a bit like adults who might actually read the regulations and follow them, instead of treating the regs as 'suggestions' that we might just be able to find a way to wriggle around. And whatever the trained chickens who run the phone line tell you really isn't going to interest your inspector.

I see quite a few CMs who decide things are "worth a try" ( = let's see what I can get away with.) It's your business and your choice. You "can only try." ????? It's a risk. If I were a parent and prospective client, I'm not sure I'd want to leave my children with a risk-taker whose approach looks like one of seeing what they can get away with.

Yes, I'm being harsh: because I don't want to see someone crash and burn. :panic: I can only say, "don't say we didn't warn you." :(

sarah707
07-03-2014, 08:43 PM
You have had good advice - please do not do this - you will be working above your ratios which is not complying with your requirements x

sing-low
07-03-2014, 08:48 PM
Hi all

I have my pre reg visit next Friday. I've already got children lined up etc but had another pArent visit this morning.

At the moment on a Thursday I will have 2 sets of siblings. One set is 8month old girl and 2yr old boy and the ones that came this morning. 1yr old boy and 3 yr old girl.

The first set will come 7:30-4:30. The second are wanting 7-1 for the 1 yo and 7-8:45 for the 3 yo. I've said this should be fine.

This will mean for just over an hour I will be over ratio. But would this class as continuity of care?! As j will be having them on the Wednesday 7-12:30. Do I ring ofsted to ok this once registered or how does it work?

Can anyone help please.

B x

I agree with others, this is not allowed under the EYFS. But you don't have to take our word for it. Why don't you ask the pre-reg inspector?

Chatterbox Childcare
07-03-2014, 09:58 PM
Also consider that if you are not working under your Ofsted regs (EYFS) then are you insured? Is it really worth it

tigwig
07-03-2014, 10:26 PM
Good grief I hope this post is a joke! If serious I am shocked at your attitude of 'couldnt really care less'.
As others have stated you cannot do this even if you do try and call ofsted. The exceptions are there for genuine reasons and for you to take on two sets of siblings straight away to maximise your income does not come into it!
I do apologise if I come across as extremely harsh but you dont seem to be taking any advice seriously.

MAWI
07-03-2014, 11:19 PM
I can see how it is so easy to want to take on the 2 sets as a newstarters and you need the business.I am in the same position myself. I restarted this week (as a lot of you may know). I have taken on one set of siblings for 2 days a week and I had another parent wanting another set of 2 to start on the same days. Whilst this would suit my days and mean I would not have to work another day, I just had to say "NO". It would be so easy to say yes and just go with it but I would be going against the rule of continutiy of care. It is not continuity of care. I only have one place available and had to refuse the business.

At the end of the day, it is your business and you run it how you want to, however I agree with everyone else that you should not go with it. Just because other Childminders do it or have 'got away with it' does Not make it right.

We all work really hard to maintain a professional status and working within the guidelines and requirements of the EYFS is one of them.

Good luck with your Pre-reg visit.

Simona
08-03-2014, 09:17 AM
Hi all

Can anyone help please.

B x

BR 23.....You say you will be over the ratio for just 1 hour?
I am sure you could try to resolve this in another way?
I also understand you are getting your registration visit today...please feedback after so we know what the inspector has said to you...if anything at all and we can take it from there

it is hard to support or give advice on this matter because neither the EYFS nor the judgement from inspectors is reliable or consistent...nor is the way EACH one of us interpret variations as they are very badly written on page 21

In another thread there is a question about variations and how long they can stay in place....so even on that score none are too sure and the EYFS has been out a long time now and there is plenty on the fact they have to be for a limited period only

I know people who have variated and done so over a very long period of time...were they wrong or doing exactly what the EYFS says....or interpreted on what it does not?

so before I get told off for saying something wrong let me explain....

- Cms have now the biggest chance and opportunity to input and make sure this is sorted 'once and for all' as the EYFS 2012 is 'under revision' again...at this very moment and will be by the end of April ready for September....not long

- will we write to Lorna Fitzjohn Ofsted Director for Childminding on this issue and present our concerns to her?

- Will CM attend the Ofsted Big Conversation in the Midlands where Fitzjohn is the allocated Ofsted Director and due to meet the sector soon in the next wave of OBC meeting?

- will cms bring this matter in the open ...not just in this forum...and discuss it so all can help us because I have a feeling the rest of the sector has no idea that cms can self variate and have more than 3 under 5s under 'exceptional circumstances'
Lucky for them the EYFS is extremely clear.

- what are the representing associations doing about the variation saga fro Cms?
They are best placed to bring it to Ofsted and DfE attention as they do meet regularly....Pacey used to have resolutions every year at their conference that the Board would try to resolve for their members....is this still the case for pacey or anyone else?

- Will any Cms who cannot attend OBC meetings send their questions to anyone who does?....truly we should be attending in droves as Cms face the biggest series of reforms ever produced by any govt

so please rather than disagree over a matter that we always have a different opinion on...lets be proactive...very soon the variations will be gone and forgotten under the new reforms

I feel it is time we as a large section of the sector tried to resolve this anomaly in the EYFS

While the destructive Truss goes on bleating about the loss of CMs ....which she has engineered to perfection since her appointment as Under Secretary to Gove ....and the lack of available spaces in childcare...what are we doing?

...disagreeing over 1 hour overlap which Truss herself promised to resolve in her reforms...she has not done so...maybe we should flag this up because she said it was outrageous...I agree with her there!

I personally would like this matter resolved once and for all and so far I have seen very little action on it
Can we put the same strength of feeling in this as we did the ratio? or some are putting in agencies while more vital matters slip away under our very nose

I hope we can find a solution....my view of course

yummyripples
08-03-2014, 09:30 AM
I am presuming that you are going to be required to take the 3 yr old to pre school. Have you thought about how you will manage this with 2 presumably none walkers and 2 young children? It's not easy, especially in the rain. I personally think you would be better off not taking the second set on but if you really want to and you think that you can manage then it's worth contacting ofsted or do you have a support childminder to talk to? Another thought - if you have a partner who is around at that time in the morning and could help, could you register them as an assistant?

bunyip
08-03-2014, 09:42 AM
I agree with others, this is not allowed under the EYFS. But you don't have to take our word for it. Why don't you ask the pre-reg inspector?

Sing-low, I think you've hit upon an excellent solution if the OP will but push your suggestion just a wee bit further.

One of the bog-standard questions we can all pretty much rely on a pre-reg inspector to ask is, "Do you understand how many children you can look after?" Then we all roll out the answer about 6 under-8's, of which no more than 3 under-5's, of which no more than 1 under-1, and then the exceptions about baby twins, 'rising 5s' blah-di-blah-di-blah.

How very simple. :idea: When Mrs O pops that particular question, all our OP need do is reply, "yes, I know the numbers but I intend to discount them and overmind from the start, especially if I can find a forum member to agree with me." Then all s/he has to do is see if Mrs O will register him/her on that basis, and find out whether the last few months of CYPOP 5, PFA training, and goD knows how much spent on resources has been a complete waste of time and effort. Sorted! :thumbsup:

Simona: I fully understand your campaigning approach to this matter, and have every sympathy, sharing your frustration over the fuzziness of issues surrounding ratios. But I think it behooves us on the forum to exercise extreme caution when responding to posts about specific cases. We all know that many aspects of the regs are illogical, but unless/until they are changed, we have to live with a "rules is rules" situation, and advise members accordingly. Hope you understand my uber-cautious approach: I don't want any CM to get into trouble and think, "but those lovely forum people led me to believe I had a case for getting away with this." :(

sing-low
08-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Sing-low, I think you've hit upon an excellent solution if the OP will but push your suggestion just a wee bit further.

One of the bog-standard questions we can all pretty much rely on a pre-reg inspector to ask is, "Do you understand how many children you can look after?" Then we all roll out the answer about 6 under-8's, of which no more than 3 under-5's, of which no more than 1 under-1, and then the exceptions about baby twins, 'rising 5s' blah-di-blah-di-blah.

How very simple. :idea: When Mrs O pops that particular question, all our OP need do is reply, "yes, I know the numbers but I intend to discount them and overmind from the start, especially if I can find a forum member to agree with me." Then all s/he has to do is see if Mrs O will register him/her on that basis, and find out whether the last few months of CYPOP 5, PFA training, and goD knows how much spent on resources has been a complete waste of time and effort. Sorted! :thumbsup:

Bunyip, that is not what I meant (but I think you know that :rolleyes: )

Simona
08-03-2014, 10:09 AM

Simona: I fully understand your campaigning approach to this matter, and have every sympathy, sharing your frustration over the fuzziness of issues surrounding ratios. But I think it behooves us on the forum to exercise extreme caution when responding to posts about specific cases. We all know that many aspects of the regs are illogical, but unless/until they are changed, we have to live with a "rules is rules" situation, and advise members accordingly. Hope you understand my uber-cautious approach: I don't want any CM to get into trouble and think, "but those lovely forum people led me to believe I had a case for getting away with this." :(

I take on board what sing-low says and what you say too Bunyip but....
The EYFS is not clear on this and if we ring Ofsted on this matter they will tell us ...'it is up to you to judge according to p21 of the blessed EYFS' ...so there are no rules just individual interpretations

If I drove at over 70 miles on the motorway I would have no excuse if stopped by the police because the law is clear on speed...70 it is and no variation

So why is the EYFS which is a statutory and legal framework so fuzzy?
what is the reason for it to be so unclear?

any member who asks questions on variations in this forum has to take our cautionary replies...I agree with that

I know my frustration on this matter is very evident now...all I ask is: what is the solution?
what can we do to bring it to the attention of the DfE who write the EYFS and get them to sort it out with Ofsted who have a mind of their own...in fact many minds because each inspector is different

It is very useful to read all this as I intend to flag it up...I just hope we are united in wanting this issue solved once and for all...in addition to the notice for scheduled inspections which Ofsted have replied with the usual broad explanation that is not satisfactory...either we get a call or we don't...in which case the guidance has to be 'clearer' on that too and not allow inspectors to do as they please

I think I will do what Sarah has done and write down the issues for CMs and present them at the OBC meeting in London
I will also ensure my association is aware of them as I have an interest in speaking up for CMs

The input here is very useful...thank you everyone

bunyip
08-03-2014, 10:39 AM
There is a very simple answer/solution, but it's not going to be a popular one.

DofE/Ofsted could remove all the uncertainty at a stroke by removing the 'exceptional circumstances' provision.

I'm not saying that would be beneficial or desirable, but if we push too hard, it could well be the unintended consequence we end up with.

Simona
08-03-2014, 10:57 AM
There is a very simple answer/solution, but it's not going to be a popular one.

DofE/Ofsted could remove all the uncertainty at a stroke by removing the 'exceptional circumstances' provision.

I'm not saying that would be beneficial or desirable, but if we push too hard, it could well be the unintended consequence we end up with.

I slightly disagree...they could start by trying to make it less a guess for us and write the p21 EYFS section more clearly...in fact in 'plain English' not 'edu speak'.

Yes it would be undesirable if the 'exceptional circumstances' were removed but who would it hurt if not the parents who the govt says 'need flexibility' and continuity of care and less red tape when looking for childcare?
the result 'could' be that more parents choose schools over CMs where these problems will not arise....will schools offer care from 7am to 7pm?

what we need to push for is clarity and someone to listen to us but the latter will be impossible...worth a try though in my view.

Becci26
08-03-2014, 12:31 PM
Can I just point out that the op is new and looking for advice, any chance we can not scare them off with having yet another long debate on someone else's thread please ;)

To the op, you have been given some good advice, and I, like others, would say that this is new business and not continuity of care and therefore should be avoided like the plague,

I remember when I started out a few years ago wanting to take every enquiry on because your new business is just starting and Uncertain but I ended up full with a waiting list very quickly

Simona
08-03-2014, 12:45 PM
Can I just point out that the op is new and looking for advice, any chance we can not scare them off with having yet another long debate on someone else's thread please ;)

To the op, you have been given some good advice, and I, like others, would say that this is new business and not continuity of care and therefore should be avoided like the plague,

I remember when I started out a few years ago wanting to take every enquiry on because your new business is just starting and Uncertain but I ended up full with a waiting list very quickly

My apologies if you feel we have deviated from the original post...I think the input is vital and very relevant
This is a forum and hopefully we are allowed to 'extend' the discussion?...unlike twitter where we are limited to 140 characters but then even that can be very useful

We have asked BR23 to feedback on her pre reg visit which I believe is today and her OP only put here yesterday...no reason for anyone to be scared off as the opinions posted are for support and to allow reflection....I think we have done that very well

alex__17
08-03-2014, 01:07 PM
Bunyip what's the deviation for 'rising 5's'? What is a rising 5?! Sorry to be stupid, I'm also new!

FussyElmo
08-03-2014, 01:13 PM
Bunyip what's the deviation for 'rising 5's'? What is a rising 5?! Sorry to be stupid, I'm also new!

A rising 5 is when a 4 year old is in full time reception class. They can for purposes of ratios be classed in your 5-8 age bracket :-)

alex__17
08-03-2014, 03:05 PM
Oh thanks for that, I have a 4 year old starting with me soon and was wondering what would happen if when he goes to school and I'm asked to do school drop-off whether I would be able to or not, as I can't really afford to give up an eyfs place for a couple of hours after school care.

bunyip
08-03-2014, 07:48 PM

I agree: my apologies for getting involved in a somewhat tangential matter which would be better pursued on a new thread. :o

Becci26
08-03-2014, 08:05 PM
No need to apologise :-)

I am just aware that we don't want to be frightening off newbies with debates on their threads iykwim

Simona
09-03-2014, 09:54 AM
No need to apologise :-)

I am just aware that we don't want to be frightening off newbies with debates on their threads iykwim

Sorry to come back on this...but how are new CMs supposed to understand how the EYFS works and how to interpret it if we established Cms have not been able to work it out after 18 months it has been implemented?

I know these new CMs are 'handed the framework' by the LAs and told to get on with it....appalling....so here they come for advice and support

Ratio/variations is the most asked question in this forum...why?
I would bet a lot of money there will soon be another thread asking for help and advice on this.

What I feel would be very useful is if those who seek help come back when they have found a solution...I hope BR 23 will do that when she has made her enquiry

BR23
12-03-2014, 10:20 AM
I never actually said I couldn't care less. I asked for advice and have got grief for it. I'm going to speak to my inspector on Friday when she comes. I have worked in childcare for 4+ years I know how things work. Sorry I asked. I won't be back again for any advice.

munch149
12-03-2014, 10:26 AM
I never actually said I couldn't care less. I asked for advice and have got grief for it. I'm going to speak to my inspector on Friday when she comes. I have worked in childcare for 4+ years I know how things work. Sorry I asked. I won't be back again for any advice.

People have really misinterpreted your post. I hate it when that happens. Read the facts don't make assumptions

shortstuff
12-03-2014, 10:33 AM

Please dont stop asking for advice. This thread did get carried away but most answers were constructive.

BR23
12-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Feel like a naughty child. Knew it was a bad idea to ask! Was just staying I know a few childminders that have worked round things before. I wasn't going to risk anything. I haven't even started yet and was going to go about it the right way and ask ofsted properly At my pre reg visit not one of the people on the phone as I know they're useless! I've been ringing them every week for 2 months just to get my pre reg visit!

But ah well obviously I am in the wrong and everyone has jumped on the band wagon to slag me off!

shortstuff
12-03-2014, 10:43 AM
Feel like a naughty child. Knew it was a bad idea to ask! Was just staying I know a few childminders that have worked round things before. I wasn't going to risk anything. I haven't even started yet and was going to go about it the right way and ask ofsted properly At my pre reg visit not one of the people on the phone as I know they're useless! I've been ringing them every week for 2 months just to get my pre reg visit!

But ah well obviously I am in the wrong and everyone has jumped on the band wagon to slag me off!

I dont think anyone deliberately slagged you off. There were a couple of individuals who judged you but please continue to use the forum. It is all about discussions even if opinions differ.

BR23
12-03-2014, 10:49 AM
Think people need to realise nobody is perfect and that the only people that can tell us what to do is ofsted. Was just interested to see of anybody had had any exceptions before and how they worked.

Just all seems a bit OTT on here. Like people calling me a joke. Don't judge somebody that you don't know. Like I said I've worked in childcare for over 4 years. I've run a preschool for the past year. I know people bend the rules all the time. Wasn't asking for a huge heated debate.

littletreasure
12-03-2014, 10:56 AM
hi,

you should be fine to do this,
i rang ofsted about a similar situation and they wont give a yes or no answer

The only thing i would say is you will need to look at how you will transport 3 that young as i had to buy a triple buggy in the end (not cheap and a nightmare to store and fit in anywhere)
also you will need to risk assess the extra child and consider whether you can meet all their needs as they are all so young

Whatever you decide to do good luck :)

bunyip
12-03-2014, 11:35 AM
I wouldn't set out to slag anybody off. God knows I'm not perfect and She also knows that nearly everything I've learned has been learned from making mistakes of my own. I only hope some of that can help others from time to time, or I would be wasting my time here completely.

Just be aware that we're all trying to offer guidance, and we'd rather appear 'harsh' (being cruel to be kind) than be all nice, friendly, and cuddly whilst watching a fellow-CM make a big mistake.

It's unfortunate that good, ol'-fashioned straight-talking is, too often these days, seen as "rude" and "offensive".

benandjerrys
12-03-2014, 07:06 PM
One thing to come from this thread is that the current rules are not working. I am now doubting my own variations two days a week. My variations will end when a child leaves. Is that wrong?

Why aren't PACEY helping us gain clarification? We pay them money every year but are still so uncertain.

Why did so many people oppose four under fives ? I manage perfectly well and it seems quiet when I only have the three.

Exceptional circumstances - what if something isn't mentioned in the guidance? Can we not do it? People are getting their fingers burnt because ofsted can't be bothered to put some thought into it all.

I wasn't registered when ofsted granted variations but it seems at least then childminders had their backs covered.

Simona
12-03-2014, 07:18 PM
Think people need to realise nobody is perfect and that the only people that can tell us what to do is ofsted. Was just interested to see of anybody had had any exceptions before and how they worked.

Just all seems a bit OTT on here. Like people calling me a joke. Don't judge somebody that you don't know. Like I said I've worked in childcare for over 4 years. I've run a preschool for the past year. I know people bend the rules all the time. Wasn't asking for a huge heated debate.

We deviated slightly from your question but overall we agree with you ...the variation on p21 of the EYFS is not clear or we would not end up discussing it so often

I did start a separate thread to see how others feel about it...should it be clarified? my feeling is yes and we could try now the EYFS is 'under construction' again for Sept 2014

BR23
13-03-2014, 07:30 PM
I have read page 21 over and over and it says about siblings so when I have my pre reg visit in the morning I am going to tell her the situation I am in and ask her opinion and ask if she can expand on page 21 and on how the ratios should work and what an inspector would have to say if they came and I had made my own variations and decisions.

Will let you know the outcomes!

Simona
13-03-2014, 07:38 PM
I have read page 21 over and over and it says about siblings so when I have my pre reg visit in the morning I am going to tell her the situation I am in and ask her opinion and ask if she can expand on page 21 and on how the ratios should work and what an inspector would have to say if they came and I had made my own variations and decisions.

Will let you know the outcomes!

Good luck for tomorrow....I got it wrong thinking it was last week the inspector was coming? :o
Give it all you can and ask her...you never know you may get a reply...at this stage we have nothing to lose by challenging a wee bit?

I have read EYFS p21 first thing in the morning...late at night.....with a glass of wine...sober as a judge...upside down and lengthwise...it still does not make sense to me...I suppose I could claim EAL as my excuse? :angry:
Look forward to your feedback :thumbsup:

alex__17
13-03-2014, 07:41 PM
It'll be interesting to hear what an inspector actually says when questioned, rather than the ofsted call centre... Although I'd still want it in writing to cover myself in case the inspector that does next inspection has a different view. Look forward to an update, good luck!

Chatterbox Childcare
13-03-2014, 09:13 PM
hi,

you should be fine to do this,
i rang ofsted about a similar situation and they wont give a yes or no answer

The only thing i would say is you will need to look at how you will transport 3 that young as i had to buy a triple buggy in the end (not cheap and a nightmare to store and fit in anywhere)
also you will need to risk assess the extra child and consider whether you can meet all their needs as they are all so young

Whatever you decide to do good luck :)

Sorry but why say this when you don't really know (I am assuming this because you said you "should" be fine) and it completely contradicts the EYFS

tigwig
13-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Just wanted to say I'm sorry for sounding so horrible in my earlier answer. Pretty sure I am the person who has offended you and after reading back what I wrote I can see why! :(
The only thing I can say in my defense lol is it was fri night after an very busy week and I had had quite a lot of wine! ! Something you may become familiar with after you start childminding ha ha :)
Anyway due to this I did misinterprete you reply saying you were going to try anyway after others had said no and I took this to mean you weren't entirely bothered.
Clearly I was wrong and I apologise again. It would never be my intention to make anyone think they didn't want to post on here again. I hope Ofsted can help you work this out and you can take on all the children you want to. But if not dont worry there will be plenty more come along! Good luck with it all and I am truly sorry again :)

nikki thomson
13-03-2014, 10:20 PM
A large glass of wine and a big bar of chocolate is needed here, everything seems clearer after a glass of wine and a bar of chocolate. Xxx

Becci26
13-03-2014, 10:39 PM
A large glass of wine and a big bar of chocolate is needed here, everything seems clearer after a glass of wine and a bar of chocolate. Xxx

It's worrying how reliant we all are on wine!! Lol
I was concerned there looked like only 2 glasses left in the bottle this evening :/

bunyip
14-03-2014, 08:43 AM
For anyone yet to find it, there is a parallel thread running http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/general-childminding-chat/129415-eyfs-2012-ratios-self-variations.html in which we're debating the wider issue of ratios.

It might be useful to keep the general debate on that other thread, and keep this one for the OP's specific situation. Otherwise it all gets mixed up and general issues can get personalised unnecessarily. :thumbsup:

BR23
14-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Well I have had my visit.

Everything went fantastic. She was lovely. Said all my paperwork was very thorough, house was fine, equipment looked very good. My experience and knowledge was excellent and that everything looks perfect. So I couldn't be happier.

Ratio issue - I asked. And she said due to my experience and equipment she sees no problem with it due to them being two sets of siblings. She read page 21 and read it out loud to me and said she feels it fits it. She thinks I would be able to care for them and be able to see to all their needs. I have been told to call ofsted and enquire. If they doubt it I can give her name and ask them to call her so she can tell them her views on it. If they allow it I should note it and take their name incase anyone were to report me I can prove I have the permission.

So once my certificate is through I am going to call and again will keep you updated! But it's looking good so far! :-)! Ofsted aren't always the ogres they seem!!

shortstuff
14-03-2014, 11:18 AM
Im so pleased for you, thanks for the feedback

Vikki5531
14-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Yay well done! Clapping clapping xx

Simona
14-03-2014, 11:47 AM
Well I have had my visit.

Everything went fantastic. She was lovely. Said all my paperwork was very thorough, house was fine, equipment looked very good. My experience and knowledge was excellent and that everything looks perfect. So I couldn't be happier.

Ratio issue - I asked. And she said due to my experience and equipment she sees no problem with it due to them being two sets of siblings. She read page 21 and read it out loud to me and said she feels it fits it. She thinks I would be able to care for them and be able to see to all their needs. I have been told to call ofsted and enquire. If they doubt it I can give her name and ask them to call her so she can tell them her views on it. If they allow it I should note it and take their name incase anyone were to report me I can prove I have the permission.

So once my certificate is through I am going to call and again will keep you updated! But it's looking good so far! :-)! Ofsted aren't always the ogres they seem!!

Well that is a great result...especially the fact she is allowing you to quote her name when you enquire next

Good on you for trying ...glass of wine tonight! :thumbsup:

BR23
14-03-2014, 11:52 AM
Thank you! Yes I was really pleased she said she will back me up on it because she's confident I would cope with the situation. And it's only 1 hour once a week until September when the child will be at school! :-) knew it was worth trying for. She was lovely about it all.

Will be celebrating with champagne and a Chinese take away as I can't go out because I've got my 2 yr old cousin staying until Sunday! :-)! X

alex__17
14-03-2014, 12:00 PM
Fantastic, well done! And thanks for updating on the whole ratio thing, I would of said from p21 it wouldn't be allowed but great if it is, and they really need to clarify it officially to clear up all the confusion.
Well done again :-)

Simona
14-03-2014, 12:20 PM
Thank you! Yes I was really pleased she said she will back me up on it because she's confident I would cope with the situation. And it's only 1 hour once a week until September when the child will be at school! :-) knew it was worth trying for. She was lovely about it all.

Will be celebrating with champagne and a Chinese take away as I can't go out because I've got my 2 yr old cousin staying until Sunday! :-)! X

That has also jogged my memory to put 'overlap' as another area to clarify from Ofsted...enjoy your bubbly! cheers

tigwig
14-03-2014, 10:26 PM
Wow that really is great news! Well done you :)