PDA

View Full Version : Well impressed with Home minder

manjay
22-07-2008, 04:36 PM
I have had to make a claim on my policy after only having it for 5 days:rolleyes: Dopey hubby left the freezer door open late on Sunday evening. I got up yesterday and everything was defrosted. I didn't think I would bother with a claim thinking it wouldn't be worth it. However totted up everything that was in it and it comes to nearly £300. It is a massive freezer but never thought it would hold that much.

Anyway spoke to Layton Blackham and they said no need to keep any of the damaged food. I have just had to add it up (have done a fake Tesco online order) and have called them with the figure. They say I should be reimbursed within a couple of days.:clapping: :clapping:

sarah707
22-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Wow! Great news!

That makes me feel confident I've done the right thing changing to them :D

crazybones
22-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Great news. You'll have to go shopping again. :D

manjay
22-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Great news. You'll have to go shopping again. :D

I know!! Trouble is I can't afford to refill the freezer as I also had to have a new dishwasher yesterday:panic:

Blaze
22-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Pleased their good...I will definately join them now!:)

flora
22-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Glad all is well.

Such a relief when claims go smoothly:thumbsup:

butterfly
22-07-2008, 07:28 PM
sounds great! i was just thinking this morning that i should get a quote from them. i def. will now!

angeldelight
22-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Thats good news

Angel xx

ajs
22-07-2008, 09:06 PM
that's great amanda
my car is insured with them and although i have never made a claim i am really pleased with the service

i think i'll get a quote from them for the house too

mimo
24-07-2008, 03:37 PM
That sounds like good service anyone got the web address for them i cant seem to find them on the search engines thanks

miffy
24-07-2008, 04:32 PM
That's impressive!

I remember my hubby doing something similar - he switched the leccy off when we went on holiday, completely forgetting about the freezer :eek:

We came home to a really smelly, soggy mess but he insurance did pay up!

Miffy xx

manjay
24-07-2008, 04:44 PM
I am mega impressed. I received the cheque today. How's that for speedy? I now just need to fill it up again:D Although I have already replaced my Ben & Jerrys

sarah707
24-07-2008, 05:22 PM
That sounds like good service anyone got the web address for them i cant seem to find them on the search engines thanks

http://www.layton-blackham.com/homeminder_1.aspx?id=1:29982&id=1:28972&id=1:28957

JazzyL
25-07-2008, 12:09 AM
already replaced ben & jerry's? well, as long as you have the essentials, you'll be ok ;)

Donkey
28-07-2008, 11:47 AM
hows the pricing though, is it competitive??

don't mm do home insurance?

manjay
28-07-2008, 11:51 AM
hows the pricing though, is it competitive??

don't mm do home insurance?

It was about £140 cheaper than our existing cover and there seems to be so many extras included. They have included our caravan, all hubbies tools, bikes and fishing equipment and also all the stuff we keep in a lock up.

Not sure about MM but don't have the time or patience to ring round loads:D

cher25
07-08-2008, 08:24 PM
We have just renewed our home insurance and have gone with home minder. We technically only have 2 years no claims (only been in hour 2 yrs), however they have put down 5yrs and have now said that it's the same discount for both. They did however get my dob wrong.

Cher

Nicki L
07-08-2008, 08:30 PM
I joined homeminder when my insurance was up for renewal. My old provider put the price up by quite a bit and when i said i was a childminder they were going to increase it again as it might not be a family member that damages my property!!! flaming cheek.

Home minder are definitely cheaper, a professional service and the provide more cover than you give them figures for - for example i have got buildings and contents with them. The ask you what the cost to rebuild you house would be if it fell down - which mine worked out at £86000, they then cover you for up to i think he said £200,000 anyway.

Also, it doesnt matter who ruins your contents you are covered anyway.

Its well worth the money.

Pedagog
08-08-2008, 07:33 AM
I'll have to have a look at that.

EllieF
08-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Word of warning if you are thinking of using motorminder for your car insurance
I have been with them for a few years, always have all the add ons etc, and last year had an accident, all was fine untill renewal this month.
They told me I did not have protected no claims so it was going to cost £1200 to renew!
I always have all the add ons, so how did this happen?
Their response was that I should have checked the paperwork they sent through, which is quite right, but I am still peeved.
Anyway, I went onto the online comparison sites, and all other insurance companies quoted between £400 and £600
A big difference!
It pays to shop around (and check the paperwork)
Ellie

sarah707
08-08-2008, 07:58 AM
I am with Morton Michel for my car at the moment ... I always shop around but found it difficult to get a company who would give me cover as a childminder this year for some reason...

thats good advice Ellie... always shop around and be clear what you want! :D

pattomo
27-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Hi

I'd like to add that I've been with Homeminder for a few years now. I always shop around for the best quote and found Homeminder to be cheaper than several other companies, with far more items covered. It gives me peace of mind that the mindees posessions are covered as well as my minding equipment. I've also got the motor insurance with Layton Blackham. The quote was very competitive and the staff are always very friendly and helpful. When I had an accident a couple of years ago, they were fantastic. I was a wreck when I phoned them - had just scraped my neighbours car while parking (another car was speeding towards me at the time). They sorted everything out, including a hire car. My neighbour was really impressed when they sorted out the garage who did a rubbish re-spray job on his car. He asked who I was insured with & said he's consider them when his insurance was up for renewal.
This morning got the quote for building & contents insurance, which seems reasonable & I can pay in 10 monthly payments for no extra charge. Great for budgeting.

rickysmiths
10-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Word of warning if you are thinking of using motorminder for your car insurance
I have been with them for a few years, always have all the add ons etc, and last year had an accident, all was fine untill renewal this month.
They told me I did not have protected no claims so it was going to cost £1200 to renew!
I always have all the add ons, so how did this happen?
Their response was that I should have checked the paperwork they sent through, which is quite right, but I am still peeved.
Anyway, I went onto the online comparison sites, and all other insurance companies quoted between £400 and £600
A big difference!
It pays to shop around (and check the paperwork)
Ellie

Only just seen this thread havent been on the forum very long.

I have never found Home minder very compeitive. Been with Churchill for years never had a problem being a childminder with them and years ago when we had a fire in the flat next door they were fantastic dealing with the claim.

We have had Motor Minder cover though WHAT A NIGHTMARE! They seem incapable of getting document details right, whats with the additional £44 fee to make sure
you get the right size hire car so you can work?!!!!!

I did have cover for a Year the renewal quote was £265.39 plus tax £13.27 plus £25 for legal cover plus £20 Broker Admin fee

TOTAL £323.66 plus that extra £44 for car hire of course
£367.66

I googled and have renewed with Churchill (I was with them before I went to motor minder) and wait for it the premium........

£247.80!!!!!!

It includes tax, legal cover and I paid £15 extra (incl in the total ) for an enhanced hire car deal. It covers me and hubby for childminding' covers all cars seat replacement everything that motor minder does and I've saved myself £120 quid.

Motor minder had great difficulty in getting the details right or even sending ammended papers for checking.
They also seem to be into trying to scare you in so much as they think they are the only people who provide full and comprehensive cover for childminders. Thats what they did when iI rang yesterday to say I wasnt going to renew with them!
There is no mention I can find of any extra or special chilminding cover in the fancy 'Your Elite Motor Programme' folder they send out as far as I can see 'Childminding' is not specifically mentioned anywhere , Members of the 'Guild of Beauty Therapists' are although apparently they are not covered by Layton Blackham any more!!!!!!!!!!!!

Layton Blackham are now called Bluefin by the way, same tel and address.

Thats my rant of the day!!!!!!!

Ebs71
10-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Well i tried getting a quote off homeminder/ layton blackham, left my details and they said they would email me back............ 5 days later im still waiting?????????

rickysmiths
10-01-2009, 11:42 PM
Well why am I not surprised! They should have sent me an updated renewal document on the 18th dec cause the got some details wrong - still waiting!

I rang them yesterday they apparently had no record but they did have a record that I'd called that day and had sent other info. They also took six months last year to send a refund!!!

As you can see from previous post I've renewed with Churchill.

Wouldn't touch LB (Bluefin) with a bargepole again.

Ebs71
11-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Well why am I not surprised! They should have sent me an updated renewal document on the 18th dec cause the got some details wrong - still waiting!

I rang them yesterday they apparently had no record but they did have a record that I'd called that day and had sent other info. They also took six months last year to send a refund!!!

As you can see from previous post I've renewed with Churchill.

Wouldn't touch LB (Bluefin) with a bargepole again.

Well i have to thank you Rickysmiths as i have done a home insurance quote with Churchill and its comeback at £98.... im paying £268 with Norwich union and thats without allowing to be a childminder!!! a big thankyou as im going to get that changed over asap!!!:jump for joy:

rickysmiths
11-01-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm really pleased I wish mine was that cheap!!!!:clapping: :laughing: :clapping:

ajs
11-01-2009, 10:04 PM
i am surprised that you have had a bad experience with them
when i called round last year for a cheaper quote and got one from norwich union layton blackham matched the quote so i saved £80 on their own price

rickysmiths
11-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Not so much the quotes though spose the renewal was high. Its more their general attitude and they way they tried to scare me into renewing with them by strongly implying that no other company provides adequate cover and it really annoys me when companies behave like that.

By the way I have been driving since 1973 had my own insurance since 1983 have full no claims and dont live in a very high risk area. I drive a med sized family car and in all those years have been involved in only 4 accidents all minor bumps, so I dont think I am very high risk.:laughing:

Ebs71
15-01-2009, 08:25 AM
Well i tried getting a quote off homeminder/ layton blackham, left my details and they said they would email me back............ 5 days later im still waiting?????????

Well they eventually rang me back twice yesterday (in 10 min period) whilst i was driving so i couldnt answer but they left me 2 voice mail. Then later in the afternoon a lady called and did my quote there and then £384!!!!! absolutly ridiculous, thats with over 5 years no claims too, especially as chuchill was £9?.... its a big difference, so im going to check that the covers are the same and that churchill havn't missed anything off IYGWIM. To top it all, the original gent who left me a 2 voice mail when i was driving rang me back yeasterday tea time and when i explained that his collegue had already done me a quote a few hours earlier he was very hostile with me :eek: saying 'well i left you 2 messages to phone me back!!'..... obviously he just wanted the commision!!! :angry:

jibberjitz
15-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Wow! At least you can claim for it:)

Liz