PDA

View Full Version : First question parents ask

gef918
06-03-2014, 08:11 AM
I'm getting fed up of enquiries that start with 'how much do you charge?'

My fees are actually very competitive, but parents are looking for at the hourly fee rather than asking about the whole pricing policy. I'm looking for a way to express this when parents ask how much I charge. I'm worried that I will put people off if they ask how much I charge and I don't tell them. Would much rather that they come and meet me though before bringing fees into the equation.

smurfette
06-03-2014, 08:52 AM
Lol I know it's annoying isn't it? I quoted someone last week and they txt back last night and said yes please still need care but I was quoted half uour daily rate!!! So I text back saying there is no way I could provide the care I do and the outings we go on for that money so best of luck! Incredible! Think she quite fancied what I offered but wanted it for that price! On your bike as they say here!

tulip0803
06-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Lol I know it's annoying isn't it? I quoted someone last week and they txt back last night and said yes please still need care but I was quoted half uour daily rate!!! So I text back saying there is no way I could provide the care I do and the outings we go on for that money so best of luck! Incredible! Think she quite fancied what I offered but wanted it for that price! On your bike as they say here!

So now they think we are like insurance companies and will price match :huh: . Do you think that next year she will ring around again and move child to the best quote?

Here the minder that used to undercut everyone - then added mileages to take children places Per child everyday per journey. All entrance fees. charged entrance fees for children that got in free. snacks whether she provided or not so turned out not such a good deal

julie w
06-03-2014, 02:57 PM
offer a free meerkat lol

loocyloo
06-03-2014, 03:16 PM
I always say " I charge £x an hour inclusive of all meals snacks and outings "

Mouse
06-03-2014, 03:24 PM
I don't see a problem with parents asking how much I charge.

I'd rather they knew from the outset whether or not they can afford me rather than wasting my time & their's by getting all the details, then finding out I'm too expensive (I am one of the most expensive in the area). If they want cheap childcare I'm not the person for them, so I'd rather they knew that from the beginning :thumbsup:

wee_elf
06-03-2014, 03:53 PM
maybe we should have a disclaimer that plays before the call connects saying the price lol! xx

bunyip
06-03-2014, 06:59 PM
My fantasy is that one day someone will phone and say "I think my child would benefit from spending time with a CM."

In reality, it's "I [not my child] need a CM."

Yes I do get fed up with the standard questions:

Are you available?
How much do you charge?
Where are you?
Are you flexible?

It boils down to "I want someone cheap and convenient. I don't care about quality. I'd rather have poor childcare than add 5 minutes' drive to my daily commute. And I can always moan about the quality later."

As for "flexible": it is utterly meaningless, in that it means an entirely different thing depending on who is saying it.

Sorry, this is an old bugbear (rant) of mine. But I think we are sometimes collectively to blame for encouraging this sort of enquiry. We set fees based on what the 'local rate' is. And the local rate is usually lousy: dragged down by the worst CM in the area who can afford to charge peanuts cos it's all Value spaghetti hoops and as many lo's as possible watching the Disney Channel while she gets on with ironing. :mad:

It's also a problem with 'headline rate' advertising (encouraged by over-simplistic listings such as FIS provider lists.) I quote an all-inclusive rate to parents which is clear with no added extras. Parents then go with some other CM who looks cheaper, but then they end up paying more cos they have to pay for every meal, snack, trip, toddler group, etc. I have 2 clients who came to me from other CMs who they thought were cheaper, cos they quoted hourly rates lower than mine. But they save money with me, partly cos I don't charge them for holidays, but also cos I'm not eagerly adding stuff to the bill every 10 minutes. I know some CMs who practically follow the lo's round with a restaurant waiter's pad, noting every time they have a raisin. The one that really gets my goat is the one who pays £1 (total) to take 3 lo's to a volunteer-run toddler group, then charges each parent £1 per child for having taken them there. :eek:

gef918
07-03-2014, 11:11 AM
My fantasy is that one day someone will phone and say "I think my child would benefit from spending time with a CM."

In reality, it's "I [not my child] need a CM."

Glad to hear I'm not the only one annoyed by the question.

My mindee's mum was made redundant after Christmas, but they still sent lo to me, because he really enjoys coming and they've seen how much he's developed in my care. Felt really good to be a luxury expense rather than a necessity!

Mummits
07-03-2014, 01:33 PM
I have had a few of the opposite sort= who have chatted about everything under the sun except money. I keep asking if they have any questions, expecting them to ask how much and they don't. I have had to ask if they wanted me to quote for the hours they wanted! I always give them a figure per month, inclusive of everything, and advise everyone to make sure they compare like with like. I don't haggle though.

bunyip
07-03-2014, 07:05 PM
Glad to hear I'm not the only one annoyed by the question.

My mindee's mum was made redundant after Christmas, but they still sent lo to me, because he really enjoys coming and they've seen how much he's developed in my care. Felt really good to be a luxury expense rather than a necessity!

:clapping: Bless you. :littleangel:

You've gotta be doing it right then. :thumbsup:

alex__17
07-03-2014, 09:08 PM
I don't mind the question, would rather they know straight up what the cost was, no point them deciding they like me then can't afford me and wanting to try and haggle which I'm not prepared to do, and don't want to waste their or my time meeting and going through everything for them to say no too expensive.

unalindura77
08-03-2014, 07:14 AM
When a parent says to me 'ooh you're expensive!' I just don't want to work with that person any more, I don't even want to meet them. I have had one parent who I really liked who was very respectful and I saw her eyes water when I said the fee :blush: so I offered a compromise as I really wanted the business and could afford to do it, it wasn't by much but I appreciated it. But others I've had asking me to 'be kinder to their pockets' I have to say goodbye, toodles. I send out an old thing I found called 'Childminding - A Negotiating Guide' or something to that effect by NMCA, as it explains so well what we have to pay and our expenses.

We have to follow the EYFS, the same as nurseries, paperwork, activities etc and I'm sick of being bashed about how much we charge. The child has one on one time with an adult and also with other children, so why should we be paid less than nannies? I just don't understand.

Of course, we have to consider parents too and not be over the top, but...it just isn't fair.

unalindura77
08-03-2014, 07:16 AM
Maybe a good way to answer the question would be 'with or without meals and outings included?'

bunyip
08-03-2014, 09:22 AM
When a parent says to me 'ooh you're expensive!' I just don't want to work with that person any more, I don't even want to meet them. I have had one parent who I really liked who was very respectful and I saw her eyes water when I said the fee :blush: so I offered a compromise as I really wanted the business and could afford to do it, it wasn't by much but I appreciated it. But others I've had asking me to 'be kinder to their pockets' I have to say goodbye, toodles. I send out an old thing I found called 'Childminding - A Negotiating Guide' or something to that effect by NMCA, as it explains so well what we have to pay and our expenses.

We have to follow the EYFS, the same as nurseries, paperwork, activities etc and I'm sick of being bashed about how much we charge. The child has one on one time with an adult and also with other children, so why should we be paid less than nannies? I just don't understand.

Of course, we have to consider parents too and not be over the top, but...it just isn't fair.

Is there a link to the document you use? 'Childminding - a negotiating guide'

unalindura77
08-03-2014, 03:35 PM
Hi Bunyip let me try upload it!

Ooo errrr a bit bad with uploading things on to this site but here goes!

SYLVIA
08-03-2014, 06:19 PM
The question I get asked more and more now is "Do you charge bank holidays". I have lost a couple of possible placements because I said yes. I have since increased my rate for all newbies and now say no to charging for bank hols. It seems to work

bunyip
08-03-2014, 07:31 PM
Hi Bunyip let me try upload it!

Ooo errrr a bit bad with uploading things on to this site but here goes!

Excellent. many thanks for that. :thumbsup:

loocyloo
09-03-2014, 01:02 AM
The question I get asked more and more now is "Do you charge bank holidays". I have lost a couple of possible placements because I said yes. I have since increased my rate for all newbies and now say no to charging for bank hols. It seems to work

I say yes ... But as I don't work Mondays most of them don't count!

Simona
09-03-2014, 10:07 AM
It is hardly surprising that parents ask about charges before 'how high is your quality'? ...
after all they have been brainwashed with how expensive childcare is ...if not told it is extortionate...by all political parties, various Think Tanks and research upon research...so all parents are out to get the cheapest deal they can.
...although they hardly mention to us how many benefits the govt gives them to access childcare?

I would suggest never telling parents on the phone...invite them to visit your setting and show the 'quality of your setting'...then give them your price after you have found out how serious they are in securing the space

There is also suggestions of 'negotiations'...what are we suppose to negotiate with each set of parents?
if we negotiate with one what about the other?
some talk of discount for siblings...why? and many more issues that would be endless to name here