PDA

View Full Version : learning journey

little kingdom
05-03-2014, 08:14 PM
So I have a question regarding a lj.
I have got a little one back again she started when she was 2 so ive done a lj with her she went away In December
and has now started back again she is doing her 15 hrs funding at a nursery and spends 4 hrs a week with me walking back from nursery and walking to meet mum its less than 4 hrs spent at my house.
so should I do a lj for her??

moggy
05-03-2014, 08:27 PM
So I have a question regarding a lj.
I have got a little one back again she started when she was 2 so ive done a lj with her she went away In December
and has now started back again she is doing her 15 hrs funding at a nursery and spends 4 hrs a week with me walking back from nursery and walking to meet mum its less than 4 hrs spent at my house.
so should I do a lj for her??

Yes, you have to do something to meet EYFS requirements. I'd be working with nursery- see if you can get copies of their LJ obs/plannings, get info from parents on what child is doing new, make what obs you can- things you chat about on your walk, things she does/points out etc. You can fit a lot in on a walk!- counting, looking at nature, collecting leaves, spotting numbers on houses, spotting shapes in the environment, playing eye-spy and talking about initial letter sounds, making up stories (EAD)... it can be in proportion to the hours you have her so just do what you can.

little kingdom
05-03-2014, 08:31 PM
Yes, you have to do something to meet EYFS requirements. I'd be working with nursery- see if you can get copies of their LJ obs/plannings, get info from parents on what child is doing new, make what obs you can- things you chat about on your walk, things she does/points out etc. You can fit a lot in on a walk!- counting, looking at nature, collecting leaves, spotting numbers on houses, spotting shapes in the environment, playing eye-spy and talking about initial letter sounds, making up stories (EAD)... it can be in proportion to the hours you have her so just do what you can.

so just note things down as the short time shes with me I don't want to be writing for the half time shes here.

Rick
05-03-2014, 08:47 PM
Sarah wrote this for the Independent Childminders FB group:

A reminder to all members! If you are working with children in the Eyfs - for more than 2 hours a day - you must deliver the full Eyfs - a baseline assessment showing what the child can do when they first start with you, brief observations of learning, assessments linking learning to Early Years Outcomes, evidence of how you are teaching the child - individual / next steps planning, notes about how you support learning at home, a few comments about how the child learns (their learning characteristics), evidence of working with other settings and parents...
You do NOT have to write reams - a few notes for part time children will build up into a good Learning Journey over time and will be enough to show they are making good progress - but you do have to write something. It's a statutory requirement of the Eyfs and if you do not do learning and development information for part time children - even if they spend most of their time elsewhere - you risk a grade of 'inadequate' or, at best 'requires improvement' at your next Ofsted inspection

little kingdom
05-03-2014, 08:57 PM
Sarah wrote this for the Independent Childminders FB group:

A reminder to all members! If you are working with children in the Eyfs - for more than 2 hours a day - you must deliver the full Eyfs - a baseline assessment showing what the child can do when they first start with you, brief observations of learning, assessments linking learning to Early Years Outcomes, evidence of how you are teaching the child - individual / next steps planning, notes about how you support learning at home, a few comments about how the child learns (their learning characteristics), evidence of working with other settings and parents...
You do NOT have to write reams - a few notes for part time children will build up into a good Learning Journey over time and will be enough to show they are making good progress - but you do have to write something. It's a statutory requirement of the Eyfs and if you do not do learning and development information for part time children - even if they spend most of their time elsewhere - you risk a grade of 'inadequate' or, at best 'requires improvement' at your next Ofsted inspection

thanks for that.
yes will difently write something down but as what sort of format?
the nursery had said today as I did ask them earlier that taking a cloud as they use there and writing down if lo does something at mine.
so do this and my own obs?

sarah707
06-03-2014, 02:43 PM
Thank you Rick ...

Yes you need to do something - it doesn't have to be a lot but it does need to show you are complying with the requirements :D