PDA

View Full Version : Reluctant mark maker

Karen1
05-03-2014, 06:43 AM
Child is 4.5 boy and won't hold a pen, paintbrush. Doesn't want to do any of these activities. I know this is fine, but on progress check mums feedback was she is concerned over this.no interest in anything other than batman!

Have tried to incorporate it into play and get him to draw a moat etc, but he stamps his feet no. I get a lot of feet stamping

Playdough no
Paint no
Bake no
Colour no
Lunch time no stamp
Let's go park no stamp
Animal park no stamp
Outside no
Walk other hild to school no and a lot of fuss to get out of door,
Anything no stamp
Batman yes!

Any ideas how I can get him interested in mark making? Thinking of something that could go home and back to get his interest? But nothing too daunting to start with?

Last week I got him to do a cutting activity and was a struggle. Other child happily cutting at 3! He couldn't do it. On pick up mum told me he had never used scissors before!

I know children want to play that's fine, just would like some tips.

Tia

amyp
05-03-2014, 06:52 AM
Drive a bat mobile through paint? Make batman foot prints in paint? Black and yellow "sand", face painting- him self as batman? With a mirror

Mrsh3103
05-03-2014, 06:55 AM
I'd use his obsession with batman to try and get him to do these things :) My ds has some crayons that have batman pictures on, maybe get some of these. Print off pics of batman for him to colour in with the special batman pencils.
Put batman figures in play-doh, bake batman cakes. Build a batcave out of cereal boxes for batman figures to go in!

hectors house
05-03-2014, 07:49 AM
Would he draw in mud with a stick, draw with a lolly stick in a tray filled with sand - paint the patio with water on a big paint brush?

Mouse
05-03-2014, 08:59 AM
I used this with a mindee who was batman mad.

We used it to cover all sorts of learning opportunities.

1+1+1=1...Batman Preschool Pack (http://www.1plus1plus1equals1.com/batman.html)

LG2014
05-03-2014, 09:04 AM
You know he loves Batman so why not incorporate this into an activity?

Make a Batman poster for his bedroom?

Write a letter to 'Batman' (use your address) and receive a letter from Batman and some Batman stickers etc? Go for walk to postbox to post his special Batman letter.

Hope this helps! X

Karen1
05-03-2014, 05:26 PM
Wow. Thank you for all the ideas. Am feeling a bit more positive, am going to retry again.

Thanks Mouse for the batman preschool pack idea love it, and am going to write to batman thanks lg204.

In fact am going to give all the ideas a try, fingers crossed.

Thanks agin

clareelizabeth1
05-03-2014, 06:45 PM
I saw in cosy catalog they had superhero writing cuffs which children only get to wear while writing the looked quite cool.

Another idea I have seen is a writers tool belt where you get a tool belt but instead of tools you have pens pencils, a note pad which then the children can draw when the impulse takes them and not at set times we decide.

Karen1
05-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Ooh clareelizabeth I like that idea. Off to look now. Thank you

Karen1
11-03-2014, 08:54 PM
Have done the batman pack with him today, he did pick up pen and do some marks, so brilliant progress for him.

On pick up mum said she had nursery review and they said he basically won't do anything there and isn't ready for school!!! Due to start September. Mum was upset, they also said other things that upset her about his behaviour.

I asked what plan they have put in place- she said nursery said they wouldn't be doing anything other than what they are doing!!
In the past when I've spoken to his key worker, she hasn't seemed very interested and said he just stands in corner all day and won't interact!! Now I find him hard work and reluctant to do stuff, but have got him to help to make cookies, mix pancakes and now lift up a pen!! I've only had him since dec for 8hours a week. They have had him 15 hours week since he was three!!

I have already done a progress check on him and yes I feel he is low down on it, but I've only had him three months and he's been at nursery since he was three!

I've got him to drop at nursery tomorrow and I need to speak to nursery. Mum has given me signed permission and seemed really upset as she didn't question them.

I think there should be one to one support for him put in place, as feel that he needs additional support, but not sure how they will take it from me. Any tips or advice? I've not had to do this from a childminder role before (only in nursery role when I had more backing).

Sorry if this has rambled on. Any tips greatly appreciated.
Karen

amyp
11-03-2014, 10:23 PM
It's tough- just suggest things that you found has worked and say as a team we can make him school ready. Say what works with you so they should try... Can you go in for an hour or 2? ask to speak with their SENCO for next steps and support. Suggest daily support for his family as well as him?

Say you feel you have spent time with him in a one to one and can identify his areas if strength for them to build on.

It suggest to mum he comes to you for those 15 hours? For more 1:1 support? Cheeky but it would help him xx