PDA

View Full Version : So on the same day that they call us too expensive...

lisbet
04-03-2014, 09:25 PM
They say that we're not good enough:

BBC News - Third of early years providers 'less than good' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-26440314)

:angry:

Mouse
04-03-2014, 10:00 PM
I think the issue is that Ofsted are judging more harshly, not that childcare is getting worse.

It also has to be noted that they are now concentrating on inspecting satisfactory/unsatisfactory/requires improvement childcare, so naturally their grades are likely to be lower. If they ever got caught up on inspections and started inspecting good & outstanding minders, you'd probably find that the percentages would shoot up.

lisbet
04-03-2014, 10:18 PM
I think the issue is that Ofsted are judging more harshly, not that childcare is getting worse.

It also has to be noted that they are now concentrating on inspecting satisfactory/unsatisfactory/requires improvement childcare, so naturally their grades are likely to be lower. If they ever got caught up on inspections and started inspecting good & outstanding minders, you'd probably find that the percentages would shoot up.

I know that everything you're saying is right x

I'm guessing lots of parents won't though - they will just hear "childcarers charge too much and aren't good enough". I'm just feeling a bit bruised by the misleading mudslinging against us from Truss, Ofsted, and the press, when I know that we are putting our heart and soul into doing a really worthwhile job for very modest financial reward :(

yummyripples
05-03-2014, 01:22 PM
Maybe it should say a lot of childminders prefer to spend time looking after children than doing paperwork and laminating signs.

loocyloo
05-03-2014, 01:33 PM
But although they said some are requiring improvement ... At the end of the report I heard they said that 2/3 of childminders and nurseries are good or outstanding! So why isn't that the headline!

rickysmiths
05-03-2014, 01:51 PM
The thing is that at no time will 100% ever be rated as Good or Outstanding that is unrealistic.

I actually find it quite interesting that the % are similar in Nurseries and Childminders and I find that quite reassuring in a way. The figures for the next year should be more interesting with the abolition of Satisfactory and the introduction of the new gradings. It should show a rise in Goods overall.

Simona
05-03-2014, 02:13 PM
The figures quoted in the BBC article are up from Sept 2012 (new EYFS) to October 2013...

unless I am wrong the new inspection framework kicked in Nov 2013 when Ofsted said they would toughen up the inspections and new grade of RI would replace Satisfactory...so it is a bit confusing

When the next statistics come out and cover the new inspection regime from Nov 2013 they may be even more worrying...frankly this is self defeating because the less we are good/outstanding the bigger the chance we cannot offer funding for 2 year olds and the govt will put them in schools

Ofsted clampdown sees early years grades fall | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nursery-world/news/1142537/ofsted-clampdown-grades-fall?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

teacake2
05-03-2014, 02:49 PM
That is what they want to surely, to put the 2 year olds in schools and then say look at all the money we are saving parents, or am I thinking out aloud too much?
Teacake2