PDA

View Full Version : Own children's LJ?

appletart88
04-03-2014, 07:29 PM
Hi, this is probably a stupid question but when I'm registered do I need to do my own child a learning journal?
TIA

maisiemog
04-03-2014, 07:37 PM
No. However I always did one as it's a nice keepsake and I could show hers to parents who visited without breaking confidentiality

cupcakencookie
04-03-2014, 07:38 PM
Not a stupid question at all and one I've often wondered about so will watch with interest. I don't think you need to and I never have done because as far as I'm concerned I am my children's Mum not their childminder! I think even if it was a requirement I would really dig my heels in about this as I refuse to let Ofsted or any paperwork detract from the sheer joy of being a parent. Will be interested to hear what everyone else has to say about it as I'm a relative newbie only having been minding for a year.

Kaybeaa
04-03-2014, 07:39 PM
No you only need to do an LJ for minded children in the EYFS.

Although when I had my last inspection the inspector asked me if I had one for my own son. I panicked and said I didn't thinking suddenly the rules had changed and I was meant to do one but she said I didn't need to, it's just a nice thing to have. You are expected to know where your own children are in terms of L&D though

appletart88
04-03-2014, 09:03 PM
Thank you! I think I will start one for these exact reasons, although I won't panic if it's not up to date as long as the others are :-)

No. However I always did one as it's a nice keepsake and I could show hers to parents who visited without breaking confidentiality

hectors house
05-03-2014, 07:54 AM
I have my grandson one day a week - I don't charge but I still try to do a LJ for him although when I am falling behind with paperwork it is his LJ that suffers. I have decided now that I don't do my LJ for Ofsted but for the child and the parents.

munch149
05-03-2014, 09:24 AM
I don't do one for my daughter but kind of wish I had done. To be honest I watch her play and am doing one in my head all the time anyway

loocyloo
05-03-2014, 12:05 PM

I did one for dd .. She was my Guinea pig when eyfs first came in! It was good to share with parents without any confidentially issues. I also shared it with her keyworker at nursery and then teacher at school and it was good to share ideas and ways of doing things! (LJ related not my dd related! Lol)