PDA

View Full Version : Children who dont sleep!

KatieFS
04-03-2014, 01:38 PM
Seriously I'm struggling with these twins I mind. They are 13 months now and ever since I've had them they don't have a set sleeping pattern. Well parents roughly tell me when they should nap, but whether they do or how long is anyone's guess. One is slightly better than the other but still not good.
They usually have sleep around 9.30/10 ish mum says about an hour. Them again around 1 for 1-2 hours. That sounds about right for children their age.
But often they only sleep a short amount for am sleep, sometimes not at all. Doesn't affect the afternoon sleep whether they sleep short or long- often only 45 mins. So quite often they have had an hour or less. It's making routines difficult as having to stay in for periods of time, quite frustrating when they don't sleep!!!
Also affects everyone in the afternoon - Tuesdays I have them till 6.30 and often after 5 they are both very ratty.
Any pearls of wisdom!? I really feel like I need to raise it more seriously with the parents as having negative affect on the other children. Maybe they don't need morning sleep?

Oh and as we live close by, I often see whether parents are in at tones of the day. They are usually out on the afternoon, which makes me think maybe they aren't put to sleep as a routine, parents perhaps are telling me this as 'this is what is line to happen' type conversation.

As I type the little darlings are up and chatting. Neither slept this morning, afternoon sleep both only had about 30 mins. One is teething which I know doesn't help! I'm leaving them to chat while I tidy the lunch things!!!

Smiley
04-03-2014, 01:46 PM
I have had quite a few children who have dropped their morning sleep by 13 months or can certainly do without although sometimes an early lunch may be needed and then straight off to sleep. Of course as we know it depends on many things including the time they wake or gave to be woken in the mornings.

I assume you're trying to following their usual sleep settling routine and know if they prefer a cot or otherwise, comfort items etc. I think it would be best if you spoke to their mum perhaps she sings a certain song or strokes a cheek 3 times or any other of the strange rituals that some children become accustomed to.

moggy
04-03-2014, 02:17 PM
Honestly, some just don't need much sleep and if they are happy and playing then you can't make them sleep!

I have had lots of good regular sleepers but then you get one who is only 12mth old but is awake from 6.30am through to 11am, then just 30 mins nap and wakes full of energy for the afternoon. Exhausting for us but that is all they need.

If they are showing all signs of tiredness and finding it hard to nap, then it is more an issue you can tackle with parents (ie: routines, where they nap, comforters etc) but if they just don't NEED as much sleep as you expect then that is something to just live with!

Dragonfly
04-03-2014, 02:21 PM
Mine of 13 month have half hour if that in the morning, same in the afternoon. I don't think a child needs more then that if sleeping through the night. If they were tired they would sleep.I would try to keep them going in the morning then put them down for a sleep after lunch say 12.30/1pm, and see how things go.

KatieFS
04-03-2014, 02:21 PM
Yes I agree some just dont need sleep!

They often appear tired, especially in the afternoon post 4.30/5. Red eyes, rubbing eyes head, yawning, grumpy... Etc
I suppose if they went home at 5 it would be ok but am hour - 2 hours of 2 humpy 13 month olds is grating me a little and is becoming a problem for the other children here as getting to stage where I have to hold them to calm them down.
Would you suggest dropping the am sleep?

AliceK
04-03-2014, 04:06 PM
TBH I have had so many children come who do not have any sleep routine at home and as such they are so over tired they are a complete nightmare. I get them into a routine for the days they are with me, a routine that suits the child and is what the child needs. Sometimes you can try and talk to parents but they imo they either lie about it or don't seem to care.
I would suggest you go with what they seem to need, they will soon get into a routine with you despite what the parents do or don't do at home.

xxxx

smurfette
04-03-2014, 11:50 PM
[QUOTE="AliceK;1347004"]TBH I have had so many children come who do not have any sleep routine at home and as such they are so over tired they are a complete nightmare. I get them into a routine for the days they are with me, a routine that suits the child and is what the child needs. Sometimes you can try and talk to parents but they imo they either lie about it or don't seem to care. I would suggest you go with what they seem to need, they will soon get into a routine with you despite what the parents do or don't do at home. xxxx[/QUOTE
This!! Also yes I would try dropping am nap, and running them ragged in the morning to make them tired!!

KatieFS
05-03-2014, 12:50 PM
Oooooooo that sounds a bit cloak and dagger?!? No.?? Do you advice the parents of their routine with you.

AliceK
05-03-2014, 01:02 PM
Oooooooo that sounds a bit cloak and dagger?!? No.?? Do you advice the parents of their routine with you.

No it's not cloak and dagger, not at all. I will be very blunt with parents about their child being tired and needing to sleep. I write all sleep times down on their sheet which they take home so there's nothing hidden.

xxx

clareelizabeth1
05-03-2014, 01:24 PM
My ds is 15 months very unlikely to have a morning sleep and can sometime skip afternoon nap too. But by 5 he is a grumpy little #.

I have found a drink of milk at this time works wonders has to be warm but really cheers him up till bedtime. Or food can work too. His grumpiness comes from an energy drop so food helps could it help yours.

KatieFS
05-03-2014, 01:56 PM
Thanks - the peak time is 5-6.30. While they eat they are ok. But after that time I'm getting dinner for the other children so this is their free play time. They have very low threshold - any stumbles or anyone takes anything they want - meltdown! Was tough day yesterday, was so tired!

Maybe I need to take control of just do it. I think I'm dropping the nap here and will put then down to sleep in the afternoon. I did mention to mum that think they may need to drop the am nap and she was fine with that, although did look a bit worried and said 'oh that's a long day' I said errr yes me too!?!?!!!!!?

KatieFS
05-03-2014, 09:07 PM
Today 5-6.30 was awful! One of the little angels crying screaming only stopping when held.
Gave calpol as thought might be teeth, red cheeks etc. didn't seem to make any difference!?!
Happy days

smurfette
05-03-2014, 09:16 PM
Today 5-6.30 was awful! One of the little angels crying screaming only stopping when held. Gave calpol as thought might be teeth, red cheeks etc. didn't seem to make any difference!?! Happy days

Oh dear that doesn't sound fun. I have a little fella who was like that Til recently,, slept well at lunch time but tired mid afternoon and fell apart before mum came at 530. Seems to have grown out of it , was just a phase as now usually giddy when mum arrives thank God! I also think pp was right he got hungry so gave him liga or something (meant to be high energy)

It's an awful long day for them isn't it. Not called the witching hour for nothing!

smurfette
05-03-2014, 09:20 PM
Really does sound like they aren't getting enough sleep.. Very hard if parents don't have any kind of routine .. I always say that yes kids can adapt to two different routines in two different places but it does take longer doesn't it?! Have you tried them sleeping in a buggy? I had two Los this time last year who only slept 20 mins all day.. Both now sleep two hours in a buggy. I used to rock them when they woke up and eventually they got used to sleeping longer (did leave them to cry it out too if necessary which neither mum did, they both used to pick them up immediately they woke) I know it's hard isn't it?! Well and grand if they don't need that much but sounds like they do!

smurfette
05-03-2014, 09:20 PM
[QUOTE="murphf;1347349"] Oh dear that doesn't sound fun. I have a little fella who was like that Til recently,, slept well at lunch time but tired mid afternoon and fell apart before mum came at 530. Seems to have grown out of it , was just a phase as now usually giddy when mum arrives thank God! I also think pp was right he got hungry so gave him liga or something (meant to be high energy) It's an awful long day for them isn't it. Not called the witching hour for nothing![/QUO

Just thinking would they sleep again 3/4 o clock?

KatieFS
05-03-2014, 09:47 PM
Very!

And parent was late! Didn't leave till nearly 7. I'm shattered! I ended up going into another room with him as screaming so bad. Hope it's a phase. I've earnt my money today!

smurfette
05-03-2014, 09:54 PM
Very! And parent was late! Didn't leave till nearly 7. I'm shattered! I ended up going into another room with him as screaming so bad. Hope it's a phase. I've earnt my money today!

And a big glass of wine!!!

KatieFS
05-03-2014, 10:13 PM
Paracetamol and bed for me. Still got a headache!

Ripeberry
05-03-2014, 10:35 PM
Two boys from one family. One is 3yrs old, the other 18 months. They will ONLY sleep in the car. It has to be moving and have music on. I find myself driving 50 miles a day just getting them to have a nap. If they don't get their sleep, they are horrid later on in the day. Can't even stand, get nasty and fight a lot. I'm so bored of driving most of the day! :(

shortstuff
06-03-2014, 05:58 AM
Two boys from one family. One is 3yrs old, the other 18 months. They will ONLY sleep in the car. It has to be moving and have music on. I find myself driving 50 miles a day just getting them to have a nap. If they don't get their sleep, they are horrid later on in the day. Can't even stand, get nasty and fight a lot. I'm so bored of driving most of the day! :(

My mum tells me my older brother was the same. Have you tried putting them in a buggy which you rock with the radio and hoover on? Apparently the hoover simulates the engine noise? Obviously depends on how loud your hoover is but might be worth a try.

KatieFS
06-03-2014, 01:35 PM
They only cat nap in the buggy, 10/20 mins usually.

It is partly teeth, mainly tiredness. He was stumbling around everywhere yesterday afternoon - it was like he couldn't walk properly anymore! Bless him, felt so sorry for him.

I'm going to speak to parents as its very unfair on everyone else. Ill also avoid working past 5, although Tues I have them till 6.30.

amylouise867
06-03-2014, 01:47 PM
My daughter is 14 months but for weeks now she only has 1 nap a day.

I put her down anytime between 12.30 and 1.30 I wait till she starts showing me she is tired and she falls to sleep like a dream then.

Again depends how long she has anywhere from 40 min to 2 hours sometimes.
It's usually around an hour she has though.

I would cut their morning sleep..... It's a waste of time and effort getting them settled when they aren't really that tired by the sound of it.
That will mean they will go down better towards dinner time.
Speak to mom and see if that sounds like a good idea to her xx