PDA

View Full Version : So childcare costs are as much as a mortgage?

Mouse
04-03-2014, 11:45 AM
Yet again we have the news headlines that childcare is now so expensive it costs as much as a mortgage.

What is the current mortgage rate? Less than 5%?

When I had my mortgage it was more than 15% and could be anything up to 18%.

Isn't it then the case that mortgages are now as cheap as childcare?

Haven't mortgage rates come down & down, rather than childcare costs going up & up?

Wouldn't it be lovely if they used that as their headline

"Mortgages as cheap as childcare"

loocyloo
04-03-2014, 11:47 AM
That's what I was saying at toddlers this morning. And I'm sure that as a percentage childcare costs no more than it ever did.

Ripeberry
04-03-2014, 11:52 AM
Sensationalist headlines. Bashing the childcare industry as it seems that we are so 'greedy' Give me strength! :censored:

k-tots
04-03-2014, 12:15 PM
They compared the amount iof average mortgage a year compared to cost of childcare.. mortgages are usually for a period of 25-35 years....childcare is 5 yearish full time then part time while in school etc iyswim.....

AliceK
04-03-2014, 12:17 PM
I am so sick of hearing how expensive childcare is :angry:
Apparently the cost of childcare (and yes they did say childminders) has gone up 27% over the past 5 years. Really??? If that's the case then I am losing out because my rates have only gone up by 8% over that period and even that increase is only for new parents, current parents have never had a rise from me.
We are always being made out to be unfairly charging by these sensationalist headlines.

xxx

amylouise867
04-03-2014, 12:41 PM
Yet again we have the news headlines that childcare is now so expensive it costs as much as a mortgage. What is the current mortgage rate? Less than 5%? When I had my mortgage it was more than 15% and could be anything up to 18%. Isn't it then the case that mortgages are now as cheap as childcare? Haven't mortgage rates come down & down, rather than childcare costs going up & up? Wouldn't it be lovely if they used that as their headline "Mortgages as cheap as childcare"

Lol love your new headline :) x

wee_elf
04-03-2014, 01:20 PM
sensationalism at its finest!!

yummyripples
04-03-2014, 01:26 PM
You have kids, you pay for them. What's the suprise there? Government legislation is what puts childcare up perhaps that's where the blame should be put. The courses, first aid, safeguarding, paperwork, ofsted registration - if the government paid that for us could we reduce our prices?
Some children's centres don't allow childminders to certain sessions and have dropped the childminders drop in - more money for us to fork out.

bunyip
04-03-2014, 05:19 PM
I'd be delighted to care for the children of anyone who'd pay me on mortgage terms.

£20,000 down-payment to get started, then several £hundred per month for the next 25 years, per family, will do me just fine.

And if they fall behind on the payments I get to keep the children to sell on at auction. :D

k-tots
04-03-2014, 05:47 PM
I'd be delighted to care for the children of anyone who'd pay me on mortgage terms.

£20,000 down-payment to get started, then several £hundred per month for the next 25 years, per family, will do me just fine.

And if they fall behind on the payments I get to keep the children to sell on at auction. :D

Love your thinking x......

Koala
04-03-2014, 05:53 PM

Nice one - win win!! :thumbsup:

Mouse
04-03-2014, 05:55 PM
Now that really would give everyone something to complain about :laughing:

rickysmiths
04-03-2014, 06:24 PM
Do you know Truss is telling us we have to join Agencies to reduce our prices.

Exactly what are Private Day Nurseries going to be made to do to reduce their prices and become more affordable?

Simona
04-03-2014, 08:17 PM
I would like to see this headline: Childcare costs are rising because delivering high quality is crippling for providers!

In the year Truss has been Under Secretary for childcare she has achieved nothing...not a sausage!!!
I would like to know how many settings Family and Childcare Trust have visited and looked at their accounts and expenses and then...suggested a 'doable' solution rather than sensational headlines to grab parents' attention

It ain't working because the medicine is wrong...time for Truss to seek greener pastures!

SYLVIA
04-03-2014, 09:30 PM
I started minding in 1998 and charged £3.50. I now charge £5 per hour. I don't think thats too bad over all those years. It does include feeding them usually 3 meals a day, all outings and all the stuff that we all have to have and keep updated and renewed. So fed up with all this moaning about fees.

TabbyTuTu
05-03-2014, 08:01 AM
I was at playgroup yesterday with my DD and overheard one of those lovely childcare convo's. Something along the lines of childcare providers just being in it for the money (The nursery nurses I've met doing my courses are on minimum wage and down here the going rate is 3.50 for minders so almost half that) and how unfair it is for parents. I've had this arguement with one of my good friends, an extremely well paid nurse who only works nights and only needs a minder two mornings a week yet apparently the amount she pays for the childcare is "crippling" and she can't afford to live anymore - Her DH is on three grand a month too I may point out. I said to her there are three options. Don't work and look after your kids yourself, Option two, don't have kids if you can't afford to stay at home or have childcare. Or option three, go to work and pay the fees. She wasn't too happy with me!

bunyip
05-03-2014, 11:57 AM
I would like to see this headline: Childcare costs are rising because delivering high quality is crippling for providers!

In the year Truss has been Under Secretary for childcare she has achieved nothing...not a sausage!!!
I would like to know how many settings Family and Childcare Trust have visited and looked at their accounts and expenses and then...suggested a 'doable' solution rather than sensational headlines to grab parents' attention

It ain't working because the medicine is wrong...time for Truss to seek greener pastures!

Yup, they could publish your headline next to the other one we never see: "Childcare standards fall statistically as Ofsted move goalposts again" :panic:

Not strictly true that Truss has "achieved nothing." Becoming the most destructive, lying, over-coiffured bint since Thatcher has to be some kind of achievement. :angry:

Simona
05-03-2014, 01:36 PM
Yup, they could publish your headline next to the other one we never see: "Childcare standards fall statistically as Ofsted move goalposts again" :panic:

Not strictly true that Truss has "achieved nothing." Becoming the most destructive, lying, over-coiffured bint since Thatcher has to be some kind of achievement. :angry:

She is also in denial judging by her response to the survey...not sure why she is quoting Wales and Scotland as they have different systems from England
If costs, as she says, have stabilised...it is certainly not down to her reforms but the sector resilience and continuing subsidy of the pitiful amounts LAs dish out to us

I had only skimmed through the F&C Trust report last night and now I see once again that they survey LAs ...not providers...I wonder what the results would be if we told them the real costs?

can anyone tell me what is an 'average' mortgage? and what are 'average' fees?

The coalition has stabilised childcare costs (http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/03/the-coalition-has-stabilised-childcare-costs-so-why-do-headlines-suggest-theyre-rising/)

Is this what you are referring to regarding the 'ever changing Ofsted goalposts'?

if so even less providers will be able to take 2 year olds and all will march into schools...looks to me is premeditated
BBC News - Third of early years providers 'less than good' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-26440314)

...oh! ...it looks like Children Centres are not good enough either

Half of children's centres fail to achieve 'good' rating | Children & Young People Now (http://www.cypnow.co.uk/cyp/news/1142530/half-childrens-centres-fail-achieve-rating?utm_content=&utm_campaign=050314&utm_source=Children%20%26%20Young%20People%20Now&utm_medium=adestra_email&utm_term=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cypnow.co.uk%2Fcyp%2Fnew s%2F1142530%2Fhalf-childrens-centres-fail-achieve-rating)

Simona
06-03-2014, 01:57 PM
EY Representing associations and others have responded to the survey....funding is the main issue ...glad to see this

'Our childcare system isn't fit for purpose' warns the Family and Childcare Trust (http://www.daynurseries.co.uk/news/article.cfm/id/1562762/our-children-system-isnt-fit#.Uxb4JW4WVrE.twitter)

wee_elf
06-03-2014, 03:58 PM
[

I have had so many people asking me if I was starting minding to 'rake in the cash'??????!!! Seriously who do they think I will be minding - the kardashians?! :rolleyes: