PDA

View Full Version : When Can You Approach Parents?

LG2014
02-03-2014, 05:55 PM
A few other childminders and I are training so not yet registered are wondering if you are allowed to approach parents seeking childcare if say they were looking for someone in your area for September time? If you feel you be registered by then are you allowed to drop them an E-mail?

Is there a protocol to follow?

Thanks

moggy
02-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Yes, you can approach parents but be absolutely clear that you are not registered yet and can not guarantee you will be registered then. No one knows if their reg may be delayed for some reason.

You do not want rumours spreading that you are saying you are reg when you aren't, so just make it very clear. You can not promise parents any dates and can't sign contracts and can't take deposits... but you can introduce yourself and make your plans to be registered known, then just keep in touch until the certificate actually arrives.

line6
02-03-2014, 06:17 PM
Yes I spoke with a potential parent before I was registered. We talked about everything but nothing was put in place until after I was fully registered.

amyp
02-03-2014, 07:54 PM
Yeap I had people booked in before I started! Good luck!

tulip0803
02-03-2014, 07:55 PM
I agree you can speak to parents but must say you do not know when your registration will be complete (hopefully by Sept).

When I first registered a parent at the school approached a childminder who told her I was registering - it was a close thing my certificate turned up the Friday before she started work on the Monday :phew:

If it hadn't we had arranged for me to go to her house to look after LO as a nanny till it appeared.

LG2014
02-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Do you not need all checks to be a nanny then?

So if I were to offer services as a nanny before getting certificate is that allowed? X

tulip0803
02-03-2014, 08:25 PM
Do you not need all checks to be a nanny then?

So if I were to offer services as a nanny before getting certificate is that allowed? X

Technically nannys are employed by parents so the parent needs to pay their tax and national insurance. There are no regulations for nannys but a parent cannot claim childcare element of tax credits unless they are registered with OFSTED.

In my case I knew the certificate would arrive within the week so it would only have been for a couple of days. It was not something either of us really wanted to do but it would have got us out of the bind for a few days

Personally I have used a childminder but I wouldn't want someone in my house while I was at work IYSWIM

Another option for a few days is to care for a child in your house for free but the problem with both scenarios is PLI or lack of

LG2014
02-03-2014, 08:28 PM
I agree with you. I was just wondering the procedures. Maybe something to look into as a last resort whilst waiting on register etc.

I prefer to be registered and own house as no offence to anyone but feel better protected and keep it within legislation etc x