PDA

View Full Version : When do you plan?

Mcgons
02-03-2014, 09:12 AM
I can easily lose time browsing on the internet, especially Pinterest, and need to be more organised and productive so just wondering what others do.

When do you plan activities and resources to cover next steps or children's interests?

Do you try and fit it in during the childminding day or do it in an evening or weekend?
And how long do you spend doing it?

sing-low
02-03-2014, 10:49 AM
I find the best time to plan is right after the children have left, while what they've been doing/enjoyed is fresh in my mind. But this is also the time when my own family needs tea so it seldom happens. So what I usually end up doing is planning in the evening - which basically involves deciding what toys to put out. If I want to make play dough or gloop, I'll look out the ingredients in advance. I try not to take very long to do any of this (10, 20 minutes, max), although I find limiting the time I spend frustrating as I always feel I could do more. I don't do planning or paperwork at the weekend unless I absolutely have to (e.g. impending Ofsted inspection or meeting a new family on a Monday). I've been using Sarah's play plan and finding that really helpful (available in free resources).

I so know what you mean about Pinterest - it competes with the Forum as the ultimate time waster for me!!!!

Mcgons
02-03-2014, 11:29 AM
I'm the same, I'd rather plan for the next day when I finish in the evening but my family starts demanding that time, but then I don't really want to spend the evening working. And like you say, if I limit my time I feel like I'm not quite doing enough.
I hate working at the weekends too so try to avoid that, but I end up doing that if I've not organised myself in the week!

sarah707
02-03-2014, 11:45 AM
I do some when the children are busy playing or resting during the day - mostly retrospective writing up things we have done / children have enjoyed / new observations which might lead to planning opportunities etc.

I do the rest on my day 'off' :D

loocyloo
02-03-2014, 01:03 PM
I do some when the children are busy playing or resting during the day - mostly retrospective writing up things we have done / children have enjoyed / new observations which might lead to planning opportunities etc.

I do the rest on my day 'off' :D

Same here! Plus I volunteer in school on a Monday morning and use the half hour of morning play to do my final plan of the week!

Mcgons
03-03-2014, 02:31 PM
Maybe a day 'off' is the only answer! It would be nice :)

clareelizabeth1
03-03-2014, 09:01 PM
Most of my planing is done on the hoof. Mine are both 15months so very much have to see there temperament of the day. I only have two though so it's easier to know what their next steps are in my head and how to extend their play.

I have most art things at the ready and basic plans for Easter Mother's Day and what not.

Mouse
03-03-2014, 10:09 PM
I do most of my paperwork while I am working. If the children are playing happily, or while they are asleep I will do planning, writing up obs, assessments etc. I also make resources, write daily diaries, newsletters etc during my working day.

Every now & again I will use my day off to make sure I am caught up on everything, but that's probably not more than once a month.

I don't do much paperwork outside my working hours, but my mind seems to think about childminding 24/7. I only said to DH this weekend that I wish I could switch my mind off sometimes :p