PDA

View Full Version : using spare room

haribo
22-07-2008, 11:26 AM
hi there , ive a daughter about to leave home:( trying to look on the positive side , im thinking her room would be a great den for older mindees after school, and a quiet room for naps in the day (for the babies not me:laughing: ) upstairs isnt registered at the moment, and im wondering what the regs are for doing so. the room hasnt a fire escape window, does it have to have? the loft is done and has a good escape route onto the roof. would this be enough or not . i have smoke alarms on each floor . anyone any ideas? if necessary will have the window replaced but will be costly cos its at the front of the house, and im thinking would have to have downstairs done too, to match!! any ideas?

sue m
22-07-2008, 11:51 AM
I told the inspector at the pre reg visit that I wasn't using upstairs and then decided to use the small bedroom to let them sleep in the travel cot so I wrote to Ofsted and said that the window was locked and I had a stair gate on the door and they just wrote back and said it was ok, sent me another form and said I was now registered to use the upstairs back bedroom for sleeping.

SimplyLucy
22-07-2008, 12:02 PM
I had my daughters bedroom registered yesterday during my inspection. The windows in there are locked so don't even open!

The room will be used by the older mindees who want to get out of the way of the little ones. They can read, play quiet games and generally chill out up there.

haribo
22-07-2008, 12:54 PM
thanks! so it seems there doesnt HAVE to be a fire escape window? hope this is the same in sept. it would make a real difference , not having a great deal of space downstairs. think will give ofsted a call. Then again, dont want to remind them im due for inspection:laughing:

Pauline
17-09-2008, 11:49 AM
WE wanted to use our spare room as a playroom. When I applied to Ofsted for the change I sent in a detailed Risk Assessment of the room and landing (explaining that I would not have low furniture or chairs on the landing so that children couldn't climb on it and fall over the bannister) I also explained what we would do in an emergency to get the children out, especially as we can have 6 under 5's two of which can be babies.

The inspector was impressed and passed the room for use without even visiting, we just had a chat on the phone and she said she was happy that I fully understood the dangers and was aware what I should be doing.

So, make sure you show that you are aware of the risks and you should be ok. :)