PDA

View Full Version : Waving newbie :)

gembo
02-03-2014, 04:16 AM
Hello from a newbie... I'm just starting to kick start my new childminding adventure :)
I studied a nVQ2 in college so I don't have to do the cypop5 unit :) just the EYFS unit which I'm booking into do this month... Sending off the paperwork and money Monday can't wait. Also my first aid and then I think I'm pretty much ready to book a oftsed registration.... Scary! Well unless I'm missing something :/ I will go over everything tho to make sure... I wish there was a checklist! According to the LA tho that's all I need.... How is everyone else coming on has any one applied for the government £250 back and had any luck? I did try but only just last night so I might be too late :(

When I was on the phone to the LA Friday she said theres government funding for over 24 year olds called 24+ Loans where you could do your NVQ3 Diploma in childcare but after looking on the internet theres so many to choose from I was wondering which one to do? I'm thinking maybe focussing on early years is better? Either way I'm going to apply so that it's something else on my cv :)

My names Gemma so I'm going to call it "Little Gem's" eeeeeeeek it's all getting exciting I have so many ideas I can't wait.... :) have you guys got any names?

What would your best tip/ bit of information that you've found out / thought of that you could share?

Mines, tonight I thought of getting annual attraction tickets for things like national trust, English heritage, local attractions etc something to look out for in papers and on internet for deals etc

I'm going to be on a massive hunt now for toys and equipment as I don't have any children :/

FussyElmo
02-03-2014, 06:57 AM
Have you done your safeguarding?

Toys etc I would wait until you sign up your first children no use getting baby toys if you sign up toddlers/older children.

Rick
02-03-2014, 07:14 AM
Hi and welcome:waving:

I love the enthusiasm and quite rightly so....what a great career! :D

I did my level 3 diploma via distance learning with The Childcare Company. They are very good so maybe have a look at that. I would say though, get yourself started with children once registered and then think about level 3 as part of the course is evidencing things from your setting; much easier after a few months. Also contact your local authority to see if they will part fund it as my LA did. Secure that in April if they do that as it's the new tax year.

As Fussy says, you don't need to go and buy every resource available yet, maybe get a few and explain to the inspector other resources you could buy depending on ages of children.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Nickidela
02-03-2014, 08:17 AM
I applied for the £250 start up grant but they will only pay it out when you are in possession of your registration certificate. I did my LA course and first aid in March 2013 and applied to ofsted in April 2013, but still waiting to be registered! I was really hoping I'd be up and running by now as the grant is only available until the end of March but it's not looking hopeful for me! :-( It would be interesting to know if there will be a similar start up grant for the new tax year. X

Kiddleywinks
02-03-2014, 08:34 AM
Hi and welcome :waving:

You'll find lots of information and help on the forum, and no doubt spending many an early/late hour scouring the site for more :laughing:
(there's a search facility at the top of the page and putting in a couple of keywords generally brings up lots of posts to help :thumbsup:)

Best tip?
1. Learn how to say 'I'll double check and get back to you about that'/'I'll have to check the diary and let you know' instead of '...'er, yes....ok...' (gives you time to think about things when you're put on the spot)

2. Set yourself a spending budget each month otherwise you'll be skinted :D Charity shops are brilliant for getting more for your money, and your local facebook selling sites (if you're on FB) are also a great place for bargains

3. Don't take on just any client when you first start, it's very easy to just 'grab' anyone so you're working, but then 6 months later when you get more enquiries, better hours etc regret it.

Good luck on your new journey ;)

Vikki5531
02-03-2014, 08:36 AM
Hi Gemma, I've just finished my LA childminding course.

I've just applied for mine and my Partners DBS checks. As of Feb this year, the new process for applying to Ousted is you have to have your DBS check and Health check before sending your application off. I'm just hoping my DBS doesn't take too long!

Good luck with your journey xx

flipflop20
02-03-2014, 09:39 AM
Hi Gemma, I've just finished my LA childminding course. I've just applied for mine and my Partners DBS checks. As of Feb this year, the new process for applying to Ousted is you have to have your DBS check and Health check before sending your application off. I'm just hoping my DBS doesn't take too long! Good luck with your journey xx

Hi do u know whether u have to have both DBS checks prior to submission, as far as I could see the form only asked for my details with regards to DBS and not hubby's. I've applied for mine, but just waiting for my driving licence to come back from Dvla (change my name as hadn't done it - got married 3 and half year ago oops) and then I can get the Id check done.

I thought if I get mine done now and then get my hubby's done next month. Didn't realise they cost so much :(

Vikki5531
02-03-2014, 05:03 PM
Hi do u know whether u have to have both DBS checks prior to submission, as far as I could see the form only asked for my details with regards to DBS and not hubby's. I've applied for mine, but just waiting for my driving licence to come back from Dvla (change my name as hadn't done it - got married 3 and half year ago oops) and then I can get the Id check done. I thought if I get mine done now and then get my hubby's done next month. Didn't realise they cost so much :(

I'm not too sure, I applied for both of ours just to be safe.

You're right though, they are expensive!

I'm going to the Drs tomorrow for him to complete my Health booklet, and I'm dreading what he might charge me :( xx

blue bear
02-03-2014, 05:10 PM
welcome to the forum :clapping:

For my nvq i rang round all the local colleges asked what they could offer me, what support was available for my money and how good they were, found one that suited my needs perfectly and had a super assessor :thumbsup:

learn how to say no to adults would be my advice i still have trouble doing this.

Tulip
02-03-2014, 05:28 PM
Hi Gembo and welcome :waving:
I am a new childminder and have received the £250 start up grant. It was paid very swiftly with no problems.
Good luck x

PeekABoos
02-03-2014, 06:04 PM
Hey I am pre reg too just ordered my course and waiting for log in details! Can't wait to get started like you I have lots of ideas :-)

Best tip I have learnt is go on your hands and knees so you are child level and risk assess as there is so much more to see at their level!

Best if all good luck :-) xx

gembo
02-03-2014, 10:55 PM
Hi and welcome:waving: I love the enthusiasm and quite rightly so....what a great career! :D I did my level 3 diploma via distance learning with The Childcare Company. They are very good so maybe have a look at that. I would say though, get yourself started with children once registered and then think about level 3 as part of the course is evidencing things from your setting; much easier after a few months. Also contact your local authority to see if they will part fund it as my LA did. Secure that in April if they do that as it's the new tax year. As Fussy says, you don't need to go and buy every resource available yet, maybe get a few and explain to the inspector other resources you could buy depending on ages of children. Good luck :thumbsup:

Thank you il have a look into it.... And thanks for the advice I wasn't sure if that was the case I'm guessing it doesn't really make much different weather started now or in a few months...

Thanks ladies appreciate your answers have picked up some useful information! Xx

gembo
02-03-2014, 10:56 PM
I applied for the £250 start up grant but they will only pay it out when you are in possession of your registration certificate. I did my LA course and first aid in March 2013 and applied to ofsted in April 2013, but still waiting to be registered! I was really hoping I'd be up and running by now as the grant is only available until the end of March but it's not looking hopeful for me! :-( It would be interesting to know if there will be a similar start up grant for the new tax year. X

I guess I don't have a chance then lol! Here's hoping for the 24+ loan then or I'm gonna be out of luck :( my LA have already said they have no funding :/ x

gembo
02-03-2014, 10:59 PM
Have you done your safeguarding? Toys etc I would wait until you sign up your first children no use getting baby toys if you sign up toddlers/older children.

What is this? Nothing's been mentioned about a safe guarding course? X

FussyElmo
03-03-2014, 08:29 AM
What is this? Nothing's been mentioned about a safe guarding course? X

You have to do a safeguarding course and it has to be redone every 3 years :-D

loocyloo
03-03-2014, 08:40 AM
welcome to the wonderful world of childminding :D

I have annual passes for English heritage, local theme park/zoo and local aquarium, and a parking permit for local forest. I did have passes for a couple of local musuems, but I wasn't using them! sometimes its hard to fit in enough visits to make it worth while having the passes ( unless they were a bargain! by collecting tokens in my local paper I can get a years pass to the aquarium for £12.00 ! that's cheaper than one adult entry !!! ) the other issue I have found is that the passes are great if you have 3's & under, any older and you need to pay for the children, so I can't actually use most of my passes in the holidays! English heritage is fine though as you can take up to 6 children up to age 18 with you on a single adult pass. I think national trust is the same, but as most of the local attractions are English heritage around here, I don't have national trust.

I wish places did a childminder pass ... I would happily pay for a family pass, but be able to have 'flexible' children! you have to put photos on most cards and when you have different children each day it becomes difficult!

shortstuff
03-03-2014, 01:48 PM
welcome to the wonderful world of childminding :D

I have annual passes for English heritage, local theme park/zoo and local aquarium, and a parking permit for local forest. I did have passes for a couple of local musuems, but I wasn't using them! sometimes its hard to fit in enough visits to make it worth while having the passes ( unless they were a bargain! by collecting tokens in my local paper I can get a years pass to the aquarium for £12.00 ! that's cheaper than one adult entry !!! ) the other issue I have found is that the passes are great if you have 3's & under, any older and you need to pay for the children, so I can't actually use most of my passes in the holidays! English heritage is fine though as you can take up to 6 children up to age 18 with you on a single adult pass. I think national trust is the same, but as most of the local attractions are English heritage around here, I don't have national trust.

I wish places did a childminder pass ... I would happily pay for a family pass, but be able to have 'flexible' children! you have to put photos on most cards and when you have different children each day it becomes difficult!

If you approach the places they might be flexible. I approached intech a science centre in winchester and they were happy to allow me flexible childrens passes. Never hurts to be cheeky x