PDA

View Full Version : Next steps ideas please

Lu 2010
01-03-2014, 05:16 PM
Stuck for next steps can anyone hekp please?

T (4 yrs 1mth) was holding a globe and said "all this is our planet"

I'm assuming this is UW The world, bit stumped for next steps, was thinking maybe talk about animals from around the world (she's an animal lover) Kangaroos from australia, lions from africa etc

Any thoughts?

Thanks

LG2014
01-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Could you do a holiday adventure type thing... so how about making passport, what we need for suitcase, making house into different countries each day so say you experience China - you do costumes, look at animals, taste food etc, look at books etc.

If just animals then maybe a safari activity - maybe trip to zoo?

X

Lu 2010
01-03-2014, 05:27 PM
fab thank you x

yummyripples
01-03-2014, 08:21 PM
Could you do a holiday adventure type thing... so how about making passport, what we need for suitcase, making house into different countries each day so say you experience China - you do costumes, look at animals, taste food etc, look at books etc.

If just animals then maybe a safari activity - maybe trip to zoo?

X

Lovely idea. I'd throw in about what makes the world - rainforests, jungles, deserts, oceans.

sarah707
01-03-2014, 08:21 PM
Next steps don't have to take a child's learning forward - they can be 'more of the same'.

Sometimes an observation stands alone - wow the child has said / done something fab - and you want to share it with parents for its own sake.

Hth :D

moggy
01-03-2014, 08:51 PM
Next steps don't have to take a child's learning forward - they can be 'more of the same'.

Sometimes an observation stands alone - wow the child has said / done something fab - and you want to share it with parents for its own sake.

Hth :D

Yes, there is no need for a next step unless one comes to you as a natural response to what you see/hear. Don't force one in if it doesn't seem obvious to you. Only about 50% of my obs have a next step.

Child said 'all this is our planet'- that is lovely and worth noting. I would not start a globe/world/animal project from that, unless there is a lot of other interest from the child in that subject.

Children say all kinds of random things, it does not mean they want to follow them up with anything. Sometimes they might, but just as likely there is something totally different they are more interested in!
I'd be looking to build up a stock of evidence that a child is interested in a topic, and discussing it in advance with the child, before launching into a Next Step involving planning activities and outings on that topic.

LG2014
01-03-2014, 08:59 PM
I'm currently training at moment so not registered but I use a childminder for my own children.

I'm bit surprised at not having to expand on what child has said. Surely we should be expanding their interests?

I'd still do topic as you can always stop if you feel child not interested but I sure, like me, a parent be thrilled you've picked up on their child interests and child having fun whilst learning! :) xx

amylouise867
02-03-2014, 01:13 AM
I'm currently training at moment so not registered but I use a childminder for my own children. I'm bit surprised at not having to expand on what child has said. Surely we should be expanding their interests? I'd still do topic as you can always stop if you feel child not interested but I sure, like me, a parent be thrilled you've picked up on their child interests and child having fun whilst learning! :) xx

Hey Hun,
It's not that you wouldn't expand on what they've said, and their interests etc....

Children say a lot of things during a day and making that statement alone wouldn't mean you would need to sit down and begin to plan a full blown topic out of that one sentence.

Yes it is a lovely thing to say and there is tons that can be done off the back of it (lots of lovely activities mentioned on here alone) but it wouldn't mean you need to focus on a topic necessarily, yet.

If however (you know the child better than we do) she has made other remarks relating to the world we live in and is showing interests and curiosity then that is different.

You mention she likes animals etc but does this mean she's interested in animals around the world? Or is she more keen on Pets in the home - if so maybe create a vet role play & see how this goes down with her?

Again it's down to you knowing the child really.

You just inquired about next steps and sometimes (as it's been said) you don't always need next steps.

If you home in on every remark they make you will be over run with things to do and not enough time to do them all in.

Good luck with becoming registered!
This is a great place to be for help, support, giggles & advise!

Amy :) xx

LG2014
02-03-2014, 07:56 AM
Thanks Amy! :)

Your post made lots of sense! I realise if I do too much it be mad times rushing to do activities on each child!

Thanks again! X

LG2014
02-03-2014, 10:06 AM
Thanks again x

Zoomie
02-03-2014, 06:54 PM
If mindee interested, introduce them to google maps. You could also do activities to understand maps (draw plan of your playroom and laminate sheet). Hide a toy and mark it with an x.

amylouise867
02-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Thanks Amy! :) Your post made lots of sense! I realise if I do too much it be mad times rushing to do activities on each child! Thanks again! X

No worries Hun xx

I know when you are passionate and excited to get going sometimes you can really look into things as you really want to do the best you can as a professional and offer the best for the children.

Your passion sounds great and I wish you every success and happiness in your new venture :) your little ones (and you) are going to have lots of fun :)

Amy :) xx