View Full Version : Childminding family members

28-02-2014, 07:21 PM
Hi hope someone can advise, I registered last year as cm and only ever had after school children but then come September I began to mind my 2 nephews , they are the only children I have at present, but someone has told me that I can't have just family and need another child not related to me?? I have looked at hmrc as sister gets tax credits and this is all I could find

When you can claim for childcare provided by relatives

You can only claim tax credits for childcare provided by a relative if the relative is either:
a registered childminder who cares for your child outside of your child's own home

a childcare provider, approved under a Home Child Care Providers Scheme in Wales or Northern Ireland, who cares for your child outside of your child's own home - but they must also care for at least one other child who's not related to them

So now I'm confused? I am in England

28-02-2014, 07:34 PM
I think ya fine to look after family, my sister in laws mum is a childminder an looks after her own grandchildren even with no other children on her books, but I could be wrong not 100%

28-02-2014, 08:31 PM
Yes, does not matter if they are your nephews- you have a contract and they pay and you work as their CM in the full way, EYFS etc? Then you are fine.

28-02-2014, 11:19 PM
If I remember correctly, the rule 'must also care for A.N. Other' was brought in to stop, predominantly grandparents, registering as a CM and then only minding family members, when Ofsted first became the regulator.

So long as you are actively advertising availability for other children, but just happen to only have family on your books at the moment, you'll be fine :thumbsup:

blue bear
01-03-2014, 09:46 AM
Ofsted will not register grandparents to only look after their grandchildren they must be prepared to take on another child non related. If when ofsted ring to do an inspection you only had the grandchildren on role they give you three years to ring back and tell them you have take an unrelated child on, if you do not call in that three years they will remove you from the register.
This is the same as if you had no children on roll.im not sure if it relates to other related children such as nephews but either way you have plenty of time to take on another unrelated eyfs child so no need to panic.

01-03-2014, 11:12 AM
There are 2 separate issues, because you are dealing with 2 separate organisations: Ofsted and HMRC. Neither is interested in the what the other does, so don't even begin to think that consistency between the two is in any way relevant.

With HMRC it's a matter of whether you need to declare the income for tax purposes; whether you can claim expenses for the cost to your business of minding family members; and whether the client/family member can claim Tax Credits.The OP is correct in that the parent can claim TCs if you can mind them in your own home, but you'd have to be looking after another child too if you worked in the parent's home (as a home-childcarer.) Also, it's an all-or-nothing deal. By that, I mean you cannot choose to have the best of both (all 3 ?) worlds: so mum cannot claim TCs and you claim expenses but then choose not to declare the income for tax.

With Ofsted, it's a question of whether they will inspect and maintain your registration if you only mind for family.

IIRC, each organisation has its own definition of what it regards as 'family', depending on the relationship/degree of separation.

01-03-2014, 12:25 PM
Thank you for your help, happy to hear its ok, I am advertising to fill free times that I have just nothing has come up as yet :)