View Full Version : Emergency Box

tori4
28-02-2014, 12:01 PM
I'm looking at making a emergency box for our assembly point

So far I have
Long life snack
Foil blanket

What else do I need in there?

I intend to leave it outside in our gazebo so dnot want to leave any personal details in there I always carry my mobile on me do have contact number on me.

And other ideas?
TIA

shortstuff
28-02-2014, 12:10 PM
how about bottled water? it usually has a great long date on it

Also some kind of spare footware incase you have left in a rush?

Greengrass74
28-02-2014, 12:36 PM
I might get shot down for this but do you really need snacks, unless you live in the middle of nowhere, I would have a first aid kit. If you are keeping the kit outside maybe some warm clothing, hats, scarves etc.
Maybe speak to your neighbors and as part of your evacuation plan you could go to their house (obviously only if they are home), I am also sure that in an emergency neighbours would certainly help out. We are lucky and live in a cul-de-sac with a lot of the residents at home all day.

hectors house
28-02-2014, 03:16 PM
Do you have a car - I would keep all of those things you and others have suggested in your car and then if the car broke down while you have mindees you then have first aid box, food, water, blanket. If your car doesn't break down you could still go to it as your emergency point as then you have shelter and a means of taking the children away from the danger.

Mrsh3103
28-02-2014, 03:54 PM
I have some money in my emergency bag. £20 note and some change. I over panic about things! I kept imaging that I had to leave the house in a hurry, didn't have time to grab my purse, car has no fuel so can't go anywhere.

tori4
28-02-2014, 05:48 PM
thank you for the replies - footwear a gd ideas thanks for that - the snacks are an incentive for the LO and may come out on some fire drills but not every time.

Like the idea of the car - it makes sense - BUT our assemble point and safest place is at the front of the house - the car is at the back and I don't want to be getting in the way of the emergency services - you cant drive to the front so - but that's just my house.

Yes got lots of nice neighbours but this is an just encase box

warm clothing another gd idea - we did a run through today and all went out bare font just enough time to discard socks. but it was cold.

One thing that did come up was (puppy) ;-( I left him inside in my head all ok cause it just a practise but I would be heart broken if anything actually happen to him - his lead is kept out the back so not handy...

def got to put a spare lead in the box but still haven't worked out how I will get him out safety as well as the LO ;(((

thanks again for the feedback xT

rickysmiths
28-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Do you have a car - I would keep all of those things you and others have suggested in your car and then if the car broke down while you have mindees you then have first aid box, food, water, blanket. If your car doesn't break down you could still go to it as your emergency point as then you have shelter and a means of taking the children away from the danger.

This is what I do. Our assembly point is my car . I have a bag in the boot with A packet of biscuits, cereal bars, long life milk, carton of formula milk if I have a lo using it with a Platex bottle with the sterile disposable linings and a sterile teat. A few plastic cups, assorted socks for bare feet, a space blanket each and in the winter I have at least 2 large fleece blankets in a bag in the boot. I have a torch and a first aid kit and bottled water and £20 cash, paranoid about running out of petrol! in the car anyway. I have a small photo album which I keep on me when I go out when we come in it is on the window sill by the front door near the car keys. By the back door I have a secured envelope with all the children's details, a photo of them and their parents and a copy of their child info form, I have a copy of my car key on the keys for the back door these are both our main exit points so i can grab as I go past. I would put all the children in the car where they would be warm and safe and if necessary I would drive off the drive of the house to allow access for emergency services.

hectors house
01-03-2014, 08:37 AM
This is what I do. Our assembly point is my car . I have a bag in the boot with A packet of biscuits, cereal bars, long life milk, carton of formula milk if I have a lo using it with a Platex bottle with the sterile disposable linings and a sterile teat. A few plastic cups, assorted socks for bare feet, a space blanket each and in the winter I have at least 2 large fleece blankets in a bag in the boot. I have a torch and a first aid kit and bottled water and £20 cash, paranoid about running out of petrol! in the car anyway. I have a small photo album which I keep on me when I go out when we come in it is on the window sill by the front door near the car keys. By the back door I have a secured envelope with all the children's details, a photo of them and their parents and a copy of their child info form, I have a copy of my car key on the keys for the back door these are both our main exit points so i can grab as I go past. I would put all the children in the car where they would be warm and safe and if necessary I would drive off the drive of the house to allow access for emergency services.

What an organised childminder you are - thank you for sharing your emergency plans, I think I need to rethink mine as although we do practise going outside without shoes and coats (even if cold and raining) I haven't thought about what would happen if we have to stay outside for any length of time. And back in November I found out how cold concrete is in bare feet, when I was evacuated from local pool with nothing more than a wet swimsuit and a space heat blanket!

rickysmiths
01-03-2014, 03:00 PM
What an organised childminder you are - thank you for sharing your emergency plans, I think I need to rethink mine as although we do practise going outside without shoes and coats (even if cold and raining) I haven't thought about what would happen if we have to stay outside for any length of time. And back in November I found out how cold concrete is in bare feet, when I was evacuated from local pool with nothing more than a wet swimsuit and a space heat blanket!

Thank you. :blush:

It just evolved really. However the car thing is down to my dear Dad. When he insisted I learnt to drive when I was 17 (I didn't want to!) he also taught me how to change a tyre, check oil, water, and in those days you had to check your battery regularly and top it up. He also taught me how to put in anti freeze for the winter. In the winter he always had a spade, extra rubber mats, a thick coat, gloves and hat and an overnight bag in his boot, he worked in Bristol and we lived in Bath so he had a 50 mile round trip to work and wanted to be prepared if he got stuck in bad weather. We also lived in a small village a couple of miles outside Bath and had friends further out so were always travelling along little country lanes. He was a Scout and an ex RAF Officer so 'Be Prepared' was his life long motto and it was ingrained into me and my sister. We were Guides and are still involved in Scouting so I guess it has followed us as well!

Indeed I haven't this winter because there has been no snow or real threat of it but most years I have a spade and extra rubber mats in the boot. I currently live on the edge of the Countryside and drive down little single track country lanes every day, we also live on the edge of a small twon that you can't get out of without going up a steep hill and we are at the top of one!

hectors house
01-03-2014, 05:08 PM
Fancy you growing up in a village near Bath - only 10 miles or so down the road from me!

rickysmiths
01-03-2014, 07:59 PM
Fancy you growing up in a village near Bath - only 10 miles or so down the road from me!

I saw you were in Somerset! Bath was in Somerset when we moved to Bathampton, then it was Avon then North Wiltshire and now back to Somerset again all in just under 50 years. We moved there in 1965 when I was 10. I love the city and miss my weekends down there my Dad moved away 15 years ago but my beast friend from 1965 school days lived in Corsham but she moved to Yorkshire 3 years ago. :( I was hoping my son would get a place at Bath University but he got Liverpool. He is very happy there and doing well though.

WibbleWobble
01-03-2014, 09:03 PM
I saw you were in Somerset! Bath was in Somerset when we moved to Bathampton, then it was Avon then North Wiltshire and now back to Somerset again all in just under 50 years. We moved there in 1965 when I was 10. I love the city and miss my weekends down there my Dad moved away 15 years ago but my beast friend from 1965 school days lived in Corsham but she moved to Yorkshire 3 years ago. :( I was hoping my son would get a place at Bath University but he got Liverpool. He is very happy there and doing well though.

Ooh ooh ooh I know bathampton! We go across the toll bridge to get to my aunty who lives in Dorset ( it's the most direct route and an old family favourite)

Wibble xxx

rickysmiths
09-03-2014, 12:02 AM
Ooh ooh ooh I know bathampton! We go across the toll bridge to get to my aunty who lives in Dorset ( it's the most direct route and an old family favourite)

Wibble xxx

Over to the A36, know it well. I used to drive down to Southampton that way to see my boyfriend at the time. He still lives there!
I used to work at the Old Mill Hotel by the bridge and at the pub down by the church. Spent many an hour canoeing up and down the canal! The fee to go over the Toll Bridge used to be 2.5p (sixpence) when we first lived their and Dad got a discount because he used it twice every day to get to the A46.

I'll have to give you a call when I come down that way next. I was last down in August for my dear Dads memorial service at Bathampton Church, he passed away last April and to inter his ashes in the grave with my dear Mum and her parents.