PDA

View Full Version : Pneumonia exclusion

Karen1
27-02-2014, 08:02 PM
Hi

Minded off Tuesday. Has now got pneumonia. Due back Monday. Mum says she will be well? Pneumonia, she's on antibiotics and inhalers. Surely she won't be well enough! How long do you all think she should be out? Tia

watford wizz
27-02-2014, 08:12 PM
Iv had this 3 times and was off for. 6 wks each time I know children bounce back quicker than adults but that's ridiculous !!

LauraS
27-02-2014, 08:33 PM
I've had it twice too, the first time it started with a cold, had mild symptoms of breathlessness and chest pain and I was much better within about a week.

The second time it was triggered by flu and it took three long weeks for me feel any improvement, four weeks to feel ok and for the worst symptoms like breathlessness and chest pain to go, and six weeks or so to feel well. Dh had it at the same time and we spent three long weeks on the sofa with a duvet feeling absolutely awful. I was out of breath climbing the stairs or walking down the hallway and came close to a hospital admission.

I would therefore think that it would depend on how lo responds to the antibiotics, and how well she is in herself. She may well make a great recovery and bounce back, but she might also still be very poorly by Monday. I don't think a blanket policy per illness works, it has to be a judgement call based on whether you think lo is able to participate in your setting and is improved enough to attend. Hopefully mum trusts your judgement on that and vice versa?

Karen1
27-02-2014, 09:34 PM
Hi

Thanks for your replies. Her mum is shift worker and means she is here at 7am, so very early start anyway for her, but with pneumonia. Plus having to do two school runs with me as well in the morning, so out and about for a while. I don't think she will be well enough for Monday at all. Bless her she's only two. Think I'm going to say no for Monday at least. She's only due here one day next week anyway and then two the following week. So think I will so no for Monday and see how it goes. Surely she will just want to stay in bed!

Karen1
02-03-2014, 02:53 PM
Right, child due tomorrow at 7. Not heard from mum, but I don't want to b up and ready waiting if she isn't coming! Shall I text or just wait and see! Would really b annoyed if I miss out on hour in bed if no show!

shortstuff
02-03-2014, 02:58 PM
Right, child due tomorrow at 7. Not heard from mum, but I don't want to b up and ready waiting if she isn't coming! Shall I text or just wait and see! Would really b annoyed if I miss out on hour in bed if no show!

I would send a text asking how lo is. I wouldnt mention tmw initially just check on health.

Karen1
02-03-2014, 05:53 PM
Mum texted at five to ask to swop day to later in week! Obv stil not well and didn't give me the 24 hours notice, so thought she would change the dAy! Have swooped the day and will see what happens for Wednesday,

nikki thomson
02-03-2014, 09:38 PM
I consider my self very flexible especially with illness, but pnemonia!!!, I'm sorry but I can't imagine for one minute lo can be feeling alright at all, my friend died from pnemonia, and my dad was admitted to hospital and was very very poorly, I don't know them so can't judge on them but some parents will take the Michael if you let them, you need to know that lo is well in themselfs otherwise I'd say no. X

Karen1
03-03-2014, 10:06 AM
hi nikki

thanks for the reply, I know Pneumonia isn't very good, but omg death!- she is the parent that turns up when she isn't booked in and messes me around a lot. I try to be flexible with all my parents and am happy to change my days around (if i can) at the last minute, but she has really taken the mick. shes only been with me a month too.

last week (before I knew this) I gave her five weeks notice to change her all year round contract to term time only. she has accepted this, but she is such a pain.

I know people have to work, but she travels an hour in the morning to get to me for 7am (as work is close to me), then child with me until 3pm. I have school run and preschool run to do as well in morning, then another preschool run at 12 on Wednesday. I think I will text mum on Tuesday to find out how she is, I will explain I will have other children Wednesday and cant be looking after a sick child!! especially not pneumonia. I just feel so sorry for the child, being dragged around.

nightmare. wish I had just terminated now!

Kiddleywinks
03-03-2014, 12:16 PM
I do think people underestimate the damage pneumonia can do.
I had pneumonia years ago, thought it was the flu.
I was rushed to hospital because I couldn't breathe, and could barely move. I was told if I hadn't got to hospital when I did, I'd have been dead within the week! (I'd also developed pleurisy as a result of not getting treatment earlier)

It took me 6 months to get back on my feet, and left me with a weak chest. Almost a year to the day later, I caught it again, and was poorly for about 4 weeks.

If the LO does too much too soon, they could get ill again and will take a long time to recover.

Karen1
03-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Thank you all. Am going to say no to mum for Wednesday. Really don't feel after reading your replies, that she will be well!
Surely mum knows this- if it was my child I wouldn't be going to work, ahh I know shouldn't judge, but, poor child.
Will speak to mum tomorrow.
Thank you all.

mama2three
04-03-2014, 07:27 AM
Thank you all. Am going to say no to mum for Wednesday. Really don't feel after reading your replies, that she will be well!
Surely mum knows this- if it was my child I wouldn't be going to work, ahh I know shouldn't judge, but, poor child.
Will speak to mum tomorrow.
Thank you all.

Just remember Karen that everyone is different. Ds had pneumonia too , but recovered very quickly and was back to school the following week...ok we made sure he took it slightly easier for a wee while but he really was ok. We were advised that exercise in moderation ( walking , swimming) would be good for his lungs too. For every horror story there will be lots of cases like mine ...you need to decide based on how the child actually is rather than presuming ...

Karen1
04-03-2014, 06:58 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I am not going to text mum, will just see what happens but will make it clear to mum that it will be a quiet day and will be ringing immediately for immediate pick up if child seems unwell.

Karen1
05-03-2014, 05:30 PM
Thank you for all the advice. Child came today. Without inhaler or antibiotics!!

Anyway a lot of coughing and spluttering, quiet day as it could be with two others here and three school runs!

She did even try the pancake that we made, so phew, glad she off now until next week, and hopefully a lot better again.