PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone's OH work nights/weekends?

buzzy bee
27-02-2014, 07:26 PM
OH hates his job and has finally been offered a new one after months and months of being turned down. It's 12 hour shifts, 8-8, so I just don't know how he is going to manage with the sleeping with all the noise! He can wear earplugs but our house is pretty small and I don't want to feel like I've always got to go out, and it's not always feasible.

Also gutted we will lose our lifestyle of having all our evenings and weekends free. I work so hard in the week and I love the fact it's just us at weekends, but he'll have to work a lot of weekends so his days off will be my work days.

Does anyone else's OH work nights/weekends and how does it work for you?

benandjerrys
27-02-2014, 08:03 PM
My partner usually works away Monday to Friday and when he works local he is always on nights. We are used to it now and he can sleep through anything. Use earplugs and shut any doors in between depending on layout of house. Up until last July I worked night shifts and usually weekends and it was hard going. I remember one 3 week period when we only slept in the same bed just one night! That is why I am now a childminder. Maybe he could just do it until something better comes along. At the end of the day love doesn't pay the bills...

LauraS
27-02-2014, 08:40 PM
My oh worked nights and weekends, not whilst I have been cm'ing but about ten years ago. It wasn't for us, he found is hard too switch his body clock back and forth, it was very disruptive to our family life and it affected our quality of life a lot. I was working traditional office hours. I couldn't do it again, not with our family being as young as they are.

shortstuff
27-02-2014, 08:45 PM
I worked nights before starting up. It was tough going with a LO of my own as my OH worked days so I got very minimal sleep.

it will be different for you though as you would be looking after the children Im sure OH would be fine. Give him ear plugs and see how it goes. If he is like OH he will sleep through a bomb going off next to him.

Jenna
27-02-2014, 08:54 PM
My oh works shifts 6-6 one week days the other nights. He finds Monday and Tuesday the hardest he's got some good earplugs and by Wednesday he's normally so tired he doesn't hear a thing. I try and take the children out in the morning allowing him time to settle and drop off into a deep sleep. The worst thing he finds in the phone ringing. We both know tho if I didn't have this job due to his shifts he wouldn't see either ds nor myself the whole week he was on nights this used to be the case before ds was born when I was a nursery manager we would just pass on the road which we both hated.