PDA

View Full Version : Inset days

critch
27-02-2014, 02:15 PM
Hi all, just wondering what you do for inset days, do you charge even if you can't have the children during the day?
I have lo's that start at 9 which means I can't keep the 6 before school kids, what do you do?

shortstuff
27-02-2014, 02:28 PM
im sorry i cant offer any help im always within my 6 as all my littlies start before 9 so havent been in this situation.

how many would you be over by?

do all parents need you on inset days? most of my parents take the day off or grandparents have their LOs too.

FussyElmo
27-02-2014, 02:33 PM
I cant see how you can charge if you dont have space for them.

sing-low
27-02-2014, 03:23 PM
Do you mean charge for the time til 9, even though they probably won't come as they'd have to be collected at 9!? What does your contract say?

critch
27-02-2014, 08:03 PM
Yes I'm still open from 7.30 til 9 but after that I can't look after them, my contracts don't include inset days but they will in future, what do you do?

bunyip
27-02-2014, 08:33 PM
I cant see how you can charge if you dont have space for them.

Fussy: it's yet another symptom of 'Small Business(wo)man's Syndrome.' :D

I discuss inset days as part of contract discussions so we're straight about it from the start.

I've never known a parent who even considers it until I bring it up. I also know a lot of CMs who don't think about it until the first one comes around: and then both parties assume * they'll be getting what they want out of it despite having no semblance of an agreement in place.

OP, IIWY I'd be thinking along the lines of booking in whomsoever I can accommodate on and ad hoc, 1st come 1st served basis.

If you really want to naff off a client, charge them for a service you're not providing.

* Assume = another word for " :censored: up"

Goatgirl
27-02-2014, 08:53 PM
Hi :),
I still charge as though its a normal school day.
I make this clear: I work their contracted hours during term time and term time includes inset days as I am open on those days. The hours before/after school are available whether they use them or not.
If parents want me to do the full day they need to ask me ahead of time and they know I may not be able to. If I can offer the full inset day I do so on a first come first served basis and just charge the difference :).

Simona
27-02-2014, 09:47 PM
Hi all, just wondering what you do for inset days, do you charge even if you can't have the children during the day?
I have lo's that start at 9 which means I can't keep the 6 before school kids, what do you do?

Most schools publish their inset days well in advance...usually a year in advance... in their newsletters or website
Maybe you could take a look and work out if you are able to offer a service if you have a space? or charge a 1/2 retainer?

We need to think about our business before schools hoover up our children in future

gef918
28-02-2014, 08:36 AM
I would charge, because you do have space for them until school time. Some parents might still want to use that time, e.g. to give grandparents time to get there.

Definitely include inset days in your policy though!

Simona
28-02-2014, 09:21 AM
I would charge, because you do have space for them until school time. Some parents might still want to use that time, e.g. to give grandparents time to get there.

Definitely include inset days in your policy though!

Can we charge parents...even a retainer...if we do not have a space for their child?

FussyElmo
28-02-2014, 09:41 AM
Maybe its me I always ask my schoolies if they need me on inset days as it is actually school time not holidays. One does and send full days one doesn't so they don't get charged anything (Im so nice to my families :D) but it helps to have a quieter day.

I don't see how you can charge a retainer if a space if not there :thumbsup:

gef918
28-02-2014, 09:46 AM
Can we charge parents...even a retainer...if we do not have a space for their child?

No, we can't. However, she has the space until 9am.

amanda1309
28-02-2014, 10:57 AM
I don't charge for them

I'm available if needed but most usually arrange some holidays or family covers.

Simona
28-02-2014, 01:28 PM
Maybe its me I always ask my schoolies if they need me on inset days as it is actually school time not holidays. One does and send full days one doesn't so they don't get charged anything (Im so nice to my families :D) but it helps to have a quieter day.

I don't see how you can charge a retainer if a space if not there :thumbsup:

Many schools have inset days 'attached' to their holidays either at the start or end of them
If the inset day is during term time and the children are contracted on that day...then yes we can charge if they do not attend
Anything else has to be contracted by the parents.....

Schools like LAs vary in what they do and it looks to me it is going to be even more so if they are allowed to decide their own holidays...maybe we should be aware and plan in advance and reflect this in our contracts