PDA

View Full Version : How long is your SEF?

Emra81
26-02-2014, 10:10 PM
I'm currently battling with the update to my SEF in light of Mrs O's imminent arrival and am worried it's getting out of control. I don't feel like I've said anything that doesn't warrant saying BUT am worried that Mrs O will take one look at this beast and either not take half of it in or just not read it all in which case why am I bothering? I tend to come across better on paper than when I'm put on the spot (or at least I feel I do) so feel I should keep ploughing through.......any thoughts?

sing-low
26-02-2014, 10:35 PM
My SEF was very long (or so it seemed to me) but like you I only put in relevant things. My Mrs O commented on it - that it was helpful to know lots about me and my setting before she even arrived. It was a pain to do but I'm glad I did it, firstly because it made me think about what I do, secondly because just writing it all down gave me confidence that I was doing what I was supposed to do and finally because it helped my inspection.

Emra81
26-02-2014, 11:06 PM
Thanks sing-low, I'm working on the same theories and its def making me feel more confident as I'm filling it in. It's just a pain to trawl through....you've given me confidence that it'll be worth it though! Am using Sarahs e-book to help me too...amazing!

hectors house
26-02-2014, 11:10 PM
I am hoping that Ofsted will read all of my SEF - if I every finish it - How long is my SEF? - well how long is a ball of string! They wanted me to write about how do I know what the views are of people who use my setting - well I have included every positive comment from Questionaires, Xmas & leaving cards, Learning Journals, e-mails and texts. Had a lovely one today which I need to add "S is wonderful, X is coming on leaps and bounds and although I'd like to take all the credit I know he's advancing so well because of S's warmth, guidance and influence".

They do say that the more you write, the less time they spend on your inspection - by the time I have finished my epic SEF (War & Peace has nothing on my SEF) they will just do a 5 minute phone interview! :laughing:

Simona
27-02-2014, 07:26 AM
I'm currently battling with the update to my SEF in light of Mrs O's imminent arrival and am worried it's getting out of control. I don't feel like I've said anything that doesn't warrant saying BUT am worried that Mrs O will take one look at this beast and either not take half of it in or just not read it all in which case why am I bothering? I tend to come across better on paper than when I'm put on the spot (or at least I feel I do) so feel I should keep ploughing through.......any thoughts?

If you print the guideline for the SEF ...it is just a few pages....you will find it is very specific in what it asks you to put in each section
I am redoing mine and I am very aware my previous one was very long and I often duplicated the info....so the Ofsted guidance on it is very useful also makes you reflect on 'your' practice

Ofsted do read our SEF as it saves them a lot of time at inspection trying to find out details about our settings
It is also part of our history which they use when looking at a complaint and looking at the last recommendations we had.

I do not think it is the best self reflecting tool but as it helps Ofsted it is...in my view...worth doing until we can get a better system in place

bunyip
27-02-2014, 09:33 AM
How long is my SEF?

I present it here in full:-

" "

That's it.

:rolleyes:

LauraS
27-02-2014, 10:06 AM
How long is my SEF? I present it here in full:- " " That's it. :rolleyes:

You appear to have plagiarised my Sef. Naughty :(

CookieCutter
27-02-2014, 10:17 AM
I had a phone call from my DO (whom I have never met or heard from before), telling me I am now overdue for my inspection and I need to do an SEF ASAP otherwise I have no chance of even getting graded 'good'. In a panic, I have written up 2 or 3 paragraphs for each section. I've only been minding since November (and only 1 child), so surely they can't expect more?

bunyip
27-02-2014, 10:39 AM
You appear to have plagiarised my Sef. Naughty :(

Sorry. :blush:

........ though I'm sure I spelled " " differently. :D

AliceK
27-02-2014, 12:18 PM
I had a phone call from my DO (whom I have never met or heard from before), telling me I am now overdue for my inspection and I need to do an SEF ASAP otherwise I have no chance of even getting graded 'good'. In a panic, I have written up 2 or 3 paragraphs for each section. I've only been minding since November (and only 1 child), so surely they can't expect more?

What your DO has told you is rubbish. I don't even do the Ofsted SEF. I have a CPD folder which I write in. Mrs O was perfectly happy with that and my inspection was still only 2.5hrs ish. Don't panic.

xxxx

Simona
27-02-2014, 01:36 PM
What your DO has told you is rubbish. I don't even do the Ofsted SEF. I have a CPD folder which I write in. Mrs O was perfectly happy with that and my inspection was still only 2.5hrs ish. Don't panic.

xxxx

I agree ...another LA trying to impose unnecessary conditions as SEF is not compulsory and an alternative is just as good.

rickysmiths
27-02-2014, 01:46 PM

That is not completely true i know a childminder who was inspected 2 days ago got a good and does no Sef and never has, does not do learning Journals or Daily Diaries and never has, has only the required Policies written down, does no written planning and has no written RAs any more. So it can be achieved.

Completing a Sef is not required and therefore the lack of one can not affect our Grade. However we do have to be able to demonstrate how we work, reflect etc etc and for many people filling in the Sef is the easiest way for them to do this.

I do agree if you have done one it can reduce the time of your inspection but make sure it is accurate and don't beef yourself up because they will check what you have written is accurate and if they find one aspect isn't then they will pick you apart because they won't believe the rest of it.

Jelly Baby
27-02-2014, 05:34 PM
Mines longish..but a mess! I have always done it on paper but would like to do it online..is this possible to start over with it online? Anyone done it?

Simona
28-02-2014, 10:59 AM
That is not completely true i know a childminder who was inspected 2 days ago got a good and does no Sef and never has, does not do learning Journals or Daily Diaries and never has, has only the required Policies written down, does no written planning and has no written RAs any more. So it can be achieved.

Completing a Sef is not required and therefore the lack of one can not affect our Grade. However we do have to be able to demonstrate how we work, reflect etc etc and for many people filling in the Sef is the easiest way for them to do this.

I do agree if you have done one it can reduce the time of your inspection but make sure it is accurate and don't beef yourself up because they will check what you have written is accurate and if they find one aspect isn't then they will pick you apart because they won't believe the rest of it.

I think that that cm has read the EYFS and understood what it requires and what it does not and done away with unnecessary paperwork?...she is not the only one taking that stance

As you say and, many of us agree with, is the SEF is voluntary...some have lengthy ones some just the absolutely necessary.

LJs we now know Truss has stated are not a requirement...we do it because it is written evidence of progress...I would hazard a guess they will get mentioned in the new Sept EYFS?
Daily diaries have never been a requirement...some do them some don't and a lot of the info in them is often duplication
Policies for cms are not required but some are best put in writing
Planning is required for each child...some do reams some do it in a way that is short and pertinent

RA...EYFS p 25 is very clear...or not...depends how we read it
It says we 'MUST' have a clear and well understood policy for assessing risks'...does not say it has to be in writing
Further down it says providers MUST determine 'where it is useful to make some written assessment'....so again up to us to interpret and explain to 'parents and inspectors' and have something in writing if we want

Again I would guess RA will be dealt with in the Sept EYFS
As inspections have moved on to teaching and less paperwork ...we have a huge opportunity to do away with what is not necessary and not do it anyway just in case the inspector wants to see what is not required?....my view of course