PDA

View Full Version : Mum changes hours in 1st week of contract

KatieFS
26-02-2014, 08:51 PM
Hi all!

How would you play this!?
Mum has just signed contracts with me. Hours will be tues and fri from April but currently I'm full so she has agreed ad hoc hours from next week to April.
She asked for next x 2 weeks mon thur and fri as she is starting new job, then just Fridays. I invoice monthly so adv her to pay half first as deposit and rest due on 1st march.
She has called to say relative has agreed to have child next week so she won't need me.
I'd like a weeks notice for any changes so feel I'm in my right to continue to charge for nxt week. But new contract new parent should I be flexible?
How would you approach it!? She hasn't mentioned the money situation yet but assuming its going to come up!!

smurfette
26-02-2014, 09:40 PM
If she has booked it she should pay it.,
ESP because she is a new parent if wouldn't be flexible else she will expect this always! It's easy for parents to try and save money by sending Los to relatives, but not easy for us to take the hit,

I suppose since it's ad hoc it's a bit more tricky and if you wanted you could make leeway for it this time but once proper contract starts no way. I have done this before and it has worked out ok but it would depend on the parent

candy cat
26-02-2014, 09:43 PM
She should pay you as per contract.....just call her and tell her that is fine, but you will still charge as this was agreed....sure she will change mind and send to you ;0)

Just explain you need a month ( or what is in your policies) notice for changes to contract.

Emra81
26-02-2014, 09:45 PM
I'd be tempted to let it go this once but very clearly state that if you don't get a weeks notice in future you will charge?

mama2three
27-02-2014, 08:27 AM
For adhoc I insist they fill in a booking form - by email or on paper . Sessions are classed as booked once paid for , and refunds only made if the setting closes for any reason. If you do a forum search my form is in another thread about adhoc bookings , I cant add it again.

bunyip
27-02-2014, 09:52 AM
Hi all!

How would you play this!?
Mum has just signed contracts with me. Hours will be tues and fri from April but currently I'm full so she has agreed ad hoc hours from next week to April.
She asked for next x 2 weeks mon thur and fri as she is starting new job, then just Fridays. I invoice monthly so adv her to pay half first as deposit and rest due on 1st march.
She has called to say relative has agreed to have child next week so she won't need me.
I'd like a weeks notice for any changes so feel I'm in my right to continue to charge for nxt week. But new contract new parent should I be flexible?
How would you approach it!? She hasn't mentioned the money situation yet but assuming its going to come up!!

Check the contract and do what it says with regard to charging. You may find you need to revise your Ts&Cs on ad hoc care. We tend to think of it as an 'extra' and hope it will work out, rather than giving it the attention it needs. Then parents think it's 'extra' and therefore not important if they decide to :censored: you about.

My ad hoc rules are even tighter than those for regular bookings. I do not consider ad hoc care as 'booked' until it is paid for, and the parent signs to agree they lose the fee if they cancel. As with regular bookings, if you don't get payment in advance, then you can't expect to be paid at all. :thumbsup:

Ah, good ol' "flexibility". One of those magical Humpty Dumpty words that means no more or less than the speaker wants it to mean at the time they say it. By all means be flexible, but define the limits to your flexibility. It is very tempting to give a little ground here and there to please a new client: so much harder to rein back when they get used to it and are constantly taking advantage. Make sure your degree of flexibility is made as a sound business decision. Too many CMs give in to parents cos they want to be liked and seen as wonderful people. Harsh fact: clients represent an income stream; they do not exist to make us feel good about ourselves. In reality, CMs who are overly accommodating might as well go out and buy a shirt with "welcome" printed on it, as they end up being treated as doormats. :p

KatieFS
27-02-2014, 10:12 PM
I like the written request thing. I will start doing that!
Hours requested 18th, she took contract and policies hone to read. Contract and policies signed mon 24th I checked hours with her, deposit paid. I adv I would send invoice that week. 27th she then advises hours not needed nxt week. I've now emailed invoice over - along with request for payment for rest if month, inline with my t and c's. ice said happy to be bit more flexible in this occasion only, but not able to refund.
I will see how she is tomorrow - ill let you know
Thanks all brilliant as usual

smurfette
27-02-2014, 10:20 PM
I like the written request thing. I will start doing that! Hours requested 18th, she took contract and policies hone to read. Contract and policies signed mon 24th I checked hours with her, deposit paid. I adv I would send invoice that week. 27th she then advises hours not needed nxt week. I've now emailed invoice over - along with request for payment for rest if month, inline with my t and c's. ice said happy to be bit more flexible in this occasion only, but not able to refund. I will see how she is tomorrow - ill let you know Thanks all brilliant as usual

Hope it's sorted tomorrow for you

KatieFS
02-03-2014, 08:53 PM
Well spoke to mum on Friday. No further ahead really. I said I have to charge for hours requested as otherwise could not make business work financially. I did offer on this occasion as this is her first month and she has lots of things on, to use hours later in month. She said ok, I'll talk to other half etc. I said ok see you in a week, all fine!
She text today and said could she see me tomorrow??? Not expecting good news tbh. Got a feeling she might say doesn't need cm anymore. Its Odd lo is going to stay with her family nxt week, think maybe problems at home. No mention of this as an option when she req the hours. Just guessing as def atmosphere between family men when they came to meet me.
I'll update tomorrow
Ill be frustrated if she does as have turned down business.

bunyip
03-03-2014, 08:43 AM
I like the written request thing. I will start doing that!
Hours requested 18th, she took contract and policies hone to read. Contract and policies signed mon 24th I checked hours with her, deposit paid. I adv I would send invoice that week. 27th she then advises hours not needed nxt week. I've now emailed invoice over - along with request for payment for rest if month, inline with my t and c's. ice said happy to be bit more flexible in this occasion only, but not able to refund.
I will see how she is tomorrow - ill let you know
Thanks all brilliant as usual

Did the client sign the contract at her home, or bring it back to yours and sign it there?

I know this sounds like a minor detail, but it could prove to be a crucial point.

smurfette
03-03-2014, 08:52 AM
Well spoke to mum on Friday. No further ahead really. I said I have to charge for hours requested as otherwise could not make business work financially. I did offer on this occasion as this is her first month and she has lots of things on, to use hours later in month. She said ok, I'll talk to other half etc. I said ok see you in a week, all fine! She text today and said could she see me tomorrow??? Not expecting good news tbh. Got a feeling she might say doesn't need cm anymore. Its Odd lo is going to stay with her family nxt week, think maybe problems at home. No mention of this as an option when she req the hours. Just guessing as def atmosphere between family men when they came to meet me. I'll update tomorrow Ill be frustrated if she does as have turned down business.

What time is she coming ?

KatieFS
03-03-2014, 11:38 PM
She took contract home to read, then we signed at my house. She has copies of everything.

Today she adv she will have difficulty paying as doesn't get paid until mid month - I state payments by 1st each month, monthly in advance.

After a bit of too'ing and frow'ing she agreed to pay on the day she gets paid, via bank transfer. As I have holidays in June she will have opportunity to catch up then, so only for a few months.

It's not ideal as I've told her but ok to do it short term. She has partner and support around her so don't really see why there is this issue. I did sense tension between her and partner when I met them so am wondering if something's going on with them, Poss break up.??? i do hope not!

Ill keep you posted. Not the best start!

bunyip
04-03-2014, 10:37 AM
She took contract home to read, then we signed at my house. She has copies of everything.

Today she adv she will have difficulty paying as doesn't get paid until mid month - I state payments by 1st each month, monthly in advance.

After a bit of too'ing and frow'ing she agreed to pay on the day she gets paid, via bank transfer. As I have holidays in June she will have opportunity to catch up then, so only for a few months.

It's not ideal as I've told her but ok to do it short term. She has partner and support around her so don't really see why there is this issue. I did sense tension between her and partner when I met them so am wondering if something's going on with them, Poss break up.??? i do hope not!

Ill keep you posted. Not the best start!

Always best if they sign at yours. Otherwise they have a rolling right to immediate notice unless you give them written notifications of legal rights (to do with 'cooling off periods' for contracts signed in the customer's own home, etc.) Just check she didn't "amend" anything in the contract whilst she had her paws on it: she wouldn't be the first.

The "difficulty paying" thing really gets my goat. It's as if they hadn't noticed this 'small person' flitting around the house for the last couple of years then suddenly they're taken by suprise. "OMG - we have a child! Children cost money (even if I do feel that by rights someone else should be paying me to bonk and produce.)" Even if it were a newborn, then Mother Nature gives them 9 months' notice to scrape a bit of cash together.

Wonder if they do the same in restaurants. "yes, I know we ordered all that stuff and ate it, but you don't seriously think we'd considered paying for it all, do you?" :huh:

KatieFS
04-03-2014, 01:23 PM
Ha ha quite right! I'm not impressed so far. We will see how things go.

KatieFS
16-03-2014, 09:03 PM
Ok so we're in week 3 now. Grandfather lets on age is still working the night shift at other job (so she has other finds coming in!) therefore I'm thinking she ought to pay me! She texts about something, I text back 'how's the job going? You must be shattered doing night work too!' Low and behold the nxt day she pays me!

When we signed contracts I advised I was full on Tuesdays until April.

Lo started this week and all fine with him
But said to grandfather on collection time I'm seeing you nxt Friday. He said oh I thought he was here nxt week tues and weds. I said no just Friday and asked mum to ring me.

Mum rings and says I need you to have him tues and weds. I said sorry you haven't booked those days and I am full on those days. Then a conversation begins around what she has paid for. I say I've invoices you for these days, check your invoice I can read them out, yes pls she says. I read them all out to her. She says well he wasn't here the first week. I said sorry that was your choice not mine, you have lost those days now. I had offered to try to fit him in another time but I said it can only be when is suitable and within my numbers and I can't help next week. I explained those are the terms and I'm not obliged to move days around as wouldn't be able to plan anything.
She abruptly said ok see you Friday then.
Er ok see you Friday then. I hope she doesn't create when she picks up.
I'm invoicing this week (for nxt month) I have a feeling she is going to kick up a fuss when April invoice pops up.

What would you do nxt.

Feeling a Sense of dread here!!

Kiddleywinks
17-03-2014, 06:58 AM
Some people have difficulties understanding written contracts, so just because she has signed doesn't necessarily mean she understands what it is she's signed (one reason I spend time reading a contract to client prior to them signing so if they have any queries I can explain in more detail there and then)

It could be her circumstances have changed and there's an assumption that because she's signed up that gives her free rein.
Maybe Grandparents were originally happy to cover the other days but are now finding it too much...?

It could be she's trying to pull a fast one lol

I'd arrange to meet up and go through her requirements again, explain what she can reasonably expect, and what she can't, and what she would need to do in future about changing hours or additional care.

It could be you aren't able to offer the service she needs, or that you don't want to

KatieFS
17-03-2014, 01:46 PM
Well this would be the third time I will have gone through this with her. I will offer to talk to her about it again.
I'm going to offer a session next week, but I'm not a mind reader - she does need to ask me first.
I was quite taken aback she assumed I would be having him next week, when she actually hasn't asked me to?
I'm going to ask in future age requests additional hours in writing so there is no confusion.

KatieFS
25-03-2014, 01:46 PM
And issued my April invoice, with Good Friday at my agreed 50% charge on bank holidays.
Texts follow to ask me why I am charging, even though I won't have him that day.
This was something the parent specifically asked a question about when we signed contracts. It is of course in my contracts that I have already talked her through.

I am getting more than concerned about this parent now. A number of scenarios have come up where she says she wasn't aware when it is written, she has read AND I have talked to her face to face about it.
I've offered again to talk her through the contract. I'm feeling quite uncomfortable now, how can you work with a parent who may or may not remember things that have been discussed/agreed.
Seriously considering giving notice.
Advice..??

shortstuff
25-03-2014, 01:57 PM
Did you call mum in for another discussion about the contract she has already signed?

I see two options.

Tell mum you are starting to feel like the working relationship between you is becoming strained and maybe even go as far as putting her on a warning. It might make her see that constantly questioning you is tiresome.

Alternatively have you given any thought that maybe mum has a learning difficulty? It might mean she struggles to take information in and then to retain it. Not all adults have a diagnosed difficulty either and she may have one and not be aware of it.

KatieFS
25-03-2014, 09:36 PM
It is very strange. I recall specifically talking to her about the issues she is raising.
This is the 2nd time ice offered to talk to her about the contract. The 1st time she didn't reply to the text. The 2nd time we had a few texts back and forward where we are trying to organise dates. I sent last one Monday morning suggesting some times later this week/nxt week. Thing is she doesn't do any pick ups or collections so I generally don't see her. She has chosen to come and see me when she wants to talk to me. Her lack if response is making me worry more so that she isn't bothered or not keen or maybe embarrassed to discuss. Whatever the reason I feel uncomfortable with how things are working.

shortstuff
25-03-2014, 09:39 PM
If you are uncomfortable with the working relationship then you need to call a meeting. Be more firm and tell her you need her to attend and not ask.

You need to iron this out sooner rather than later or it will become a bigger issue.

KatieFS
25-03-2014, 09:42 PM
Quite right. Completely agree. Ill give her till tomorrow evening then will call her and tell her I'd like a meeting with her.

shortstuff
25-03-2014, 10:01 PM
good for you, let us know how you get on x

alwaysright
25-03-2014, 10:37 PM
she sounds like hard work! probably knows full well she has to pay just maybe hoping you'll say oh ok then dont pay me

KatieFS
01-04-2014, 01:16 PM
Update.

Just called her last night as she wasn't forthcoming with a date. Literally talked through each bit of the contract, elaborated and explained bits where we have had difficulties.
She is now telling me she didn't realise how much childcare costs and as she s only being paid £7.20 an hour not sure if its worth it. She said she cannot pay me any earlier than the 12th. My payment date is the first. This is in contract too. Even though I've said this means I may go into overdraft as all our bills come out on 1st, she said she has no choice.

I really don't feel secure with this family now, ice suggested she looks at feet funding (free childcare for 2 yo). If she doesn't get that, I might start looking for another family. She is in breech of the contract as she isn't able to pay me by the 1st.
Honestly why didn't she check this before she signed up?!? I don't think she is deliberately being like this, I think maybe this is her personality and isn't organised.
Driving me mad

KatieFS
01-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Oh and now everything is requested in writing and conversations backed up by email

Kiddleywinks
01-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Is she claiming everything she's entitled to? Tax credits, childcare credits/childcare vouchers through work?
Would paying weekly work better for her/you rather than monthly?

Her finance problems aren't your concern, however getting paid within your contracted terms are, so I would try to see if there is a way round the problem that suits you both

caz3007
01-04-2014, 03:52 PM
Sounds like a lot of bother for one day a week. Are you within a settling period, if so I would terminate as couldn't be doing with the stress

KatieFS
01-04-2014, 08:47 PM
Well he will and has signed contracts for 2 days a week - 12 hours.

I've suggested to her twice to check out the funding options, but again as over text/email I don't know if she has seen let alone done anything about it.

I am on the look out for more business, as cant afford to lose business this side of summer holidays, and feel matter of time before she decides it isn't worth it.

bunyip
02-04-2014, 08:47 AM
Update.

Just called her last night as she wasn't forthcoming with a date. Literally talked through each bit of the contract, elaborated and explained bits where we have had difficulties.
She is now telling me she didn't realise how much childcare costs and as she s only being paid £7.20 an hour not sure if its worth it. She said she cannot pay me any earlier than the 12th. My payment date is the first. This is in contract too. Even though I've said this means I may go into overdraft as all our bills come out on 1st, she said she has no choice.

I really don't feel secure with this family now, ice suggested she looks at feet funding (free childcare for 2 yo). If she doesn't get that, I might start looking for another family. She is in breech of the contract as she isn't able to pay me by the 1st.
Honestly why didn't she check this before she signed up?!? I don't think she is deliberately being like this, I think maybe this is her personality and isn't organised.
Driving me mad

Don't you find this utterly bizarre? I can easily understand people struggling with the finer points of contracts (or, more commonly, ignoring what they don't understand in the hope that it will never bother them.) But surely any sane person would consider the simple matter of cost and what they can afford.

Honestly, aren't there times you just want to slap a parent and ask, "didn't you consider the cost of raising a child before you dropped your knickers?" :mad:

KatieFS
02-04-2014, 11:29 AM
That bought a smile to my face bunyip!!

I wasn't sure if she was misunderstanding deliberately - perhaps hoping I'd say oh don't worry then!
But the more that happens I'm thinking its her way if being - she just doesn't think things through like a normal person might. A prev person here said maybe she has un diagnosed learning difficulty, I am beginning to think that's the case. I've forward feet info to her a number of times, you'd think she would be biting my hand off trying to sort it out. Not heard a thing!

I wonder what the next twist is...

KatieFS
07-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Flaming Nora!!!

She asked to speak to me and is giving notice as it isn't financially viable, and she isn't enjoying her new job so is leaving!

Grrrr I've turned business away as I took her on.
I'm so annoyed!!!!

smurfette
07-04-2014, 05:14 PM
Flaming Nora!!! She asked to speak to me and is giving notice as it isn't financially viable, and she isn't enjoying her new job so is leaving! Grrrr I've turned business away as I took her on. I'm so annoyed!!!!

Ah Katie that's pants.. You have had a rough trot with this one! Have you kept any details of any enquiries you had so uou can follow up now?

bunyip
07-04-2014, 06:20 PM
Flaming Nora!!!

She asked to speak to me and is giving notice as it isn't financially viable, and she isn't enjoying her new job so is leaving!

Grrrr I've turned business away as I took her on.
I'm so annoyed!!!!

Poor Katie :group hug: sorry to hear this has happened. :(

It's one thing that maddens me when you've turned away work and feel bad about letting down other families who would've been glad of the place only for someone to behave so selfishly. :mad:

Funny how she could quibble so much of the hours charged then be sufficiently well-off to jack in the job so quickly cos it's just not quite the perfect bed of roses.

The 'silver lining' is that it's better this happens sooner rather than later. Such an inconsiderate person is better shot of asap, rather than after weeks/months of mucking you about. I'm wiling to bet the people she works with are glad she's leaving sooner rather than later too.

Sooner or later, people like that tend to find themselves crossing Life's Road just as The Karma Bus is approaching, IYKWIM.

KatieFS
07-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Did try the business I had turned away and they are no longer looking. Bummer!

Oh well - I can't do anything about it. All the bells were ringing in week one. It's a learn, dust myself off and get on with it.

Ill start looking again... Does anyone know how I activate the discount on childcare.co.uk?