PDA

View Full Version : Term time only

Miss freckles
26-02-2014, 05:24 PM
I've heard of quite a few childminders only offering term time only care as someone who previously only worked time time only I really miss the school holidays.

I've been lucky enough that when I started out more than half of my children were term time only so my holidays are reasonably quiet and I really like it that way.

However I have two contracts ending in the summer due to moving and school so I need to think about advertising for then but I really don't want to get all year round care contracts, so for those who just do term time how do you carry on just getting term time only children?

I thought about advertising along the lines of. Are you a teacher, looking for a term time only contract blah blah blah so inticing those teaching professions however if someone contacted me for maybe two morning all year round or one full day all year round I wouldn't turn them away. So what I'm trying to say is can you have your cake and eat it?? And how?,

emma04
26-02-2014, 05:35 PM
I would advertise as you said, purposely to attract teachers or other term time workers (support staff)
If you really only want to do term time only I wouldn't take on a child that may want to attend in the hols even if it is only for a couple of days. This will tie you and I think you might regret it.

I reckon you'll be quite popular as all of the teachers I've had (mindee parents) have really disliked paying a holiday retainer!

QualityCare
26-02-2014, 05:42 PM
I would word it as, vacancy for x age child would prefer term time only or part time please call for details, then you can decide if you like the sound of what they need, when l get a call l ask "how old is your child and what hours are you looking for" in one sentence, that way l can decide immediately if l want to go ahead l either have a vacancy or sorry l can't take that age child now or l only have a part time place available.

The Juggler
26-02-2014, 05:47 PM
I've heard of quite a few childminders only offering term time only care as someone who previously only worked time time only I really miss the school holidays.

I've been lucky enough that when I started out more than half of my children were term time only so my holidays are reasonably quiet and I really like it that way.

However I have two contracts ending in the summer due to moving and school so I need to think about advertising for then but I really don't want to get all year round care contracts, so for those who just do term time how do you carry on just getting term time only children?

I thought about advertising along the lines of. Are you a teacher, looking for a term time only contract blah blah blah so inticing those teaching professions however if someone contacted me for maybe two morning all year round or one full day all year round I wouldn't turn them away. So what I'm trying to say is can you have your cake and eat it?? And how?,

that's exactly what I did (though was never lucky enough to be completely TT0 but for those that wanted holiday cover I told them I would work no more than 2 days in the holidays - they always manage to make arrangements).

make it your unique selling point when you advertise. I used to say something like:

Looking for TTO only care and don't want to pay a retainer fee for the holidays. I have xxxx places for under 5's, 5 days per week and can offer teachers and school staff, TTO care with no retainer fee. However, flexibility for holiday cover can be discussed and agreed.

good luck!

kellib
26-02-2014, 05:50 PM
I work term time and it's never been a problem for me filling spaces.

I had two families who each have school aged children who didn't come to me so they were happy not to send LO's to me in holidays as someone had to take time off to be with elder child anyway. Saved them money and gave me the term time I wanted!

I've also got a family where the mum works in a school so again doesn't need holidays and another family who wanted their LO to come to me regardless of my time term only, they use their holidays and family members to work around it.

I've had another enquiry today for 2 children term time only as dad is a teacher.

I make it clear I don't charge retainers for the holidays which a lot of parents like. I also usually do work a day here and there in the holidays to help parents out, I don't mind doing that as long as it's not every week! Parents appreciate this too.

wee_elf
26-02-2014, 09:06 PM
Finding this thread really useful as this is ideally what I would like to do. Can I ask a question for those of you who do already provide term time only care - do you charge Septembers fees at the end of the summer term, or a deposit of some sort? Thank You x

FussyElmo
26-02-2014, 09:11 PM
No Septembers fees are paid on the 1st of sept.

Else I will spend them in August and always be a month down :laughing::D

Mummits
26-02-2014, 11:02 PM
I do charge September fees at the end of July, nothing in August.

EmmaReed84
27-02-2014, 06:14 AM
I annualise my fees so the parent pays a lesser amount each month, and I actually get paid each month!

I have one client who is ad-hoc term time only, her money goes straight in to savings each month, so if I am ever short on my 'wages' I can top it up. Also, it coveres other things like tax, NI, memberships and larger purchases.

Miss freckles
27-02-2014, 09:13 AM
I love the idea of getting paid all year by spreading it all out evenly so you still get paid.

Thanks for all the info this gives me a better view of what I need to be aiming for.

LG2014
27-02-2014, 09:36 AM
Hi,

I originally want to just work term time but how does it work? Do you find you lose money in those holidays? Do you charge for holidays?

Do you find working all year round or term time only generates more interest?

If term time only have you ever done odd days in holidays etc?

Miss freckles
27-02-2014, 09:54 AM
With the three children I currently have that are term time only I charge them a higher rate per hour then am meant to put some by for the holidays but I never manage to end up doing that which is why I love the idea of spreading the cost out annually like the previous post just said. You get less pay every month but you still get a payment every month.

LG2014
27-02-2014, 02:04 PM
How do you annualise fees so get paid each month? Sorry if sound silly! Xx

shortstuff
27-02-2014, 02:30 PM

Add up a whole years invoices and divide by 12. when you know how its easy. there is no such thing as a silly question.

EmmaReed84
27-02-2014, 07:43 PM

just multiply a weeks fee by 39 term time weeks, then divide by 12.

So for example, Parent pays £165 a week - times by 39 weeks is £6435 a year. Divide that by 12 months which is £536.25 a month.

If you paid did just invoicing a 4 week month would be £825 and a 5 week month would be £990, so you can see that although you get paid a decent amount each month, the parens also have a more managable payment.

Also helps with Tax Credits as you can work out the average weekly cost over a year to £123.75 a week, spread over 52 weeks.

yummyripples
28-02-2014, 07:18 AM

So for example, Parent pays £165 a week - times by 39 weeks is £6435 a year. Divide that by 12 months which is £536.25 a month.

If you paid did just invoicing a 4 week month would be £825 and a 5 week month would be £990, so you can see that although you get paid a decent amount each month, the parens also have a more managable payment.

Also helps with Tax Credits as you can work out the average weekly cost over a year to £123.75 a week, spread over 52 weeks.

Just be careful annualising fees because if they leave mid year money will be owed

yummyripples
28-02-2014, 07:24 AM

Just be careful annualising fees because if they leave mid year money will be owed

mama2three
28-02-2014, 07:55 AM

Wow Emma , wish I could get away with charging my parents following your method - you seem to be adding an extra weeks charges!:laughing: Im sure mine would spot that a 4 wk month is £660!:) ( although Im willing to give it a try if youre sure:D)

kellib
28-02-2014, 07:58 AM
My latest enquiry has asked me to annualise fees which I've no problem with but wondering what happens if I need to refund them a day for any reason?

They'd be paying part vouchers part cash so is it okay to refund them in cash?

mama2three
28-02-2014, 08:01 AM
My latest enquiry has asked me to annualise fees which I've no problem with but wondering what happens if I need to refund them a day for any reason?

They'd be paying part vouchers part cash so is it okay to refund them in cash?

as long as it didn't come to more than the amount they pay in cash.

kellib
28-02-2014, 08:41 AM
as long as it didn't come to more than the amount they pay in cash.

Don't think that'll ever happen, thanks :)

LG2014
28-02-2014, 09:53 AM
I'd ideally love to do term time as have two children of my own.

I have a daughter who be 4 in couple of weeks and a son who be 1 in April.

I know I can only have one mindee full time as although from Sept my daughter be in full time care she still makes up my ratio.

How many older kids am I allowed to mind - school drop offs/after school etc?

I live near hospital and there are many childminders around so not sure if I should just do term time only or all year round? X

yummyripples
28-02-2014, 06:21 PM
I'd ideally love to do term time as have two children of my own.

I have a daughter who be 4 in couple of weeks and a son who be 1 in April.

I know I can only have one mindee full time as although from Sept my daughter be in full time care she still makes up my ratio.

How many older kids am I allowed to mind - school drop offs/after school etc?

I live near hospital and there are many childminders around so not sure if I should just do term time only or all year round? X

Once your daughter is in school I think you can have two eyfs mindees plus 2 schoolies