PDA

View Full Version : CHILDMINDING APPRAISALS & SUPERVISIONS

tlmack1209
25-02-2014, 05:47 PM
HI I HAVE JUST TOOK ON AN ASSISTANT AND I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT U NEED TO DO APPRAISALS AND SUPERVISIONS WHEN U HAVE ASSISTANTS NOW?? ANYONE NO HOW TO DO THEM COS I HAVENT GOT A CLUE?

sarah707
25-02-2014, 06:19 PM
Yes that's the requirement - it's been in place since Sept 2012.

It's about watching, listening, talking about how teaching and interactions with children can be improved.

I suggest you do some supervision of each other! Keep it lighthearted and fun and challenge each other to raise your game :D

Bluebell
25-02-2014, 07:30 PM
appraisals are just a more formal way of keeping up to date with staff - as a childminder I should imagine we can do that pretty easily! If we have a more formal appraisal though it is easier to make sure childminder and assistant are on same page and to then demonstrate to Ofsted. I have had my assistant for 3 months and had a first appraisal with her - I fed back how pleased I am with her, talked about allocating key children ( as originally there were twins and the mum was made redundant and so have only now taken on more children) I talked about extending her morning to a day and her taking on observations of her key children. we also talked about the training she is doing and in what way I can support her. There was also an opportunity for her to feed back to me about any concerns, issues, questions.

You can download appraisal forms to help you that you can use as a guideline if you want of the internet. Good Luck.

PS I'm involved with a pre-school and when I joined the committee they hadn't done any appraisals at all - shocking really!