PDA

View Full Version : holding their attention, 19 month olds

Rickers83
25-02-2014, 01:47 PM
I have dd & a mindee both 19 months, apart from free playing I am struggling to hold their attention to anything for more than 5 mins...
water play, playdoh even playing ball outside

my dd is not as bad as lo who is a boy & i often think she only stops because he has

any ideas or is free playing ok at this stage?
just makes obs hard as they always go for the same things!
& i feel like im constantly clearing one thing away & starting another :(

sarah707
25-02-2014, 01:55 PM
It's normal at that age! Make your planned activities short and sweet and don't spend ages setting things up if the children don't enjoy them.

You will find as they move towards 2 1/2 their attention spans will slowly increase.

You can support them by reading books - playing games etc you know they enjoy - and playing alongside them rather than 'with' them so they watch you and extend their interest when you give them some new ideas to try :D

amyp
25-02-2014, 06:39 PM
I have a 15 month old who holds her attention for long amounts- try googling montesorri activities- I find these keep them engaged for longer!

Try buttons and a money box. Straws into a glass. Lentils/flour spoons and empty pots.

Also when they children are engaged with a activity don't talk to them or praise them just give them a reassuring smile if they seek approval. Talking could break their concentration if they are engaged already.

Good luck xx

Smiley
25-02-2014, 09:09 PM
I have had a 15 moth old today who spent ages stacking metal and wooden curtain rings on a mug tree

AdeleMarie88
25-02-2014, 09:45 PM
My 14month old spent 30mins rolling a car back and forth between his hands and touching the moving wheels!

As long as you are providing a rich selection of toys you will find they move between activities, some will engage them longer than others!! Xx

Mouse
25-02-2014, 10:55 PM
Free play is so important as it helps you see which toys or activities the children chose to go to.

I often put out a box of mixed toys - some cars, little people, play food and cooking toys, dolls, building blocks, animals, instruments, fabric, all sorts of random things. You can watch the children hunt through the box and observe their reactions to what they find. They might discard all the play food (so I'd be glad I didn't set the kitchen up), but be really interested in the animals (so I'll get the farm out). You can carry out observations while they're looking through the toys - how do they handle the toys, do they communicate with each other, what do they say etc.

Or on a similar theme, have you got a treasure basket? Even my youngest mindees have always been fascinated by what they find and will spend a long time exploring it.

amyp
28-02-2014, 10:02 AM
My 16 month old has been at this for 30 minutes now! Just emptying fry peas with a spoon!

Dragonfly
28-02-2014, 10:31 PM
Is anyone worried about small objects in little mouths? I have 3 young children ranging from 10mths to 21mths and they put things in their mouths ( things they shouldn't). With older children as well I couldn't guarantee safety in using buttons, peas etc. although the child in the photo looks like she is enjoying herself and i bet she is.Lovely activities, but I would worry about taking my eyes off them for two minutes whilst so young.

Angela234
28-02-2014, 11:02 PM
My mindees play with dry rice and pasta in large tray with spoons pot etc I keep close eye any child for putting into mouth rarely do. There too engrossed in the activity I will then clear away if I do have young child who would put into mouth I would not get out if I couldn't supervise very closely

AdeleMarie88
01-03-2014, 01:06 AM
Is anyone worried about small objects in little mouths? I have 3 young children ranging from 10mths to 21mths and they put things in their mouths ( things they shouldn't). With older children as well I couldn't guarantee safety in using buttons, peas etc. although the child in the photo looks like she is enjoying herself and i bet she is.Lovely activities, but I would worry about taking my eyes off them for two minutes whilst so young.

Mine do this so I pour in beans and shaving foam to dried pasta, it makes it look really Unappealing to Eat!! But still lots of fun xx

AdeleMarie88
01-03-2014, 01:07 AM
Mine do this so I pour in beans and shaving foam to dried pasta, it makes it look really Unappealing to Eat!! But still lots of fun xx

And if you can bear to out your hands in, it's strangely therapeutic xx

clareelizabeth1
01-03-2014, 07:42 AM

I have two that will down shaving foam like its ice cream

amyp
01-03-2014, 08:01 AM
I don't worry- I think they need to learn not to and I am firm with my "no" I know that's not a guarantee but I don't want to eliminate risk or they will not learn danger- we play with glass jars, buttons etc but I am watching.

Dragonfly
01-03-2014, 09:09 AM
Yes, I would watch closely too but with other children doing other things I wouldn't be able to observe as closely as I would like. Mine put everything in there mouths shaving foam, salt dough, play dough so I wouldn't do small objects with children under 2 years ( or nearly two) but everyone is different as are children.

amyp
02-03-2014, 07:56 PM
I only have a 10 month old and my own 16 month old x

Dragonfly
02-03-2014, 08:11 PM
That makes a lot of difference then . I have 3/4 during the school day and up to 6-8 altogether after school (ages ranging from 11months to 15 years) so very busy with lots different ages all doing different things.I wasn't knocking anybody at all, just wanted to make that clear.