PDA

View Full Version : Advice on child chewing

skatie
25-02-2014, 08:17 AM
Has anyone dealt with a compulsive chewer? I have looked after a child for coming up to a year, lo is nearly 4 years old and chews toys, clothes etc. at least a couple of times a day I have to say 'stop chewing that toy'. I have explained why by saying that the toys will be ruined and have to be thrown away and that it means the toys have to be cleaned. I am at my wits end! I would expect by this age she would have overcome this especially after a year of being told not to do it. She knows it's wrong as I just have to look at her and she gives this sheepish grin. Anyone dealt with this before? Any advice? After just asking her not to chew a toy I have caught her chewing the beads off her top?!

Mouse
25-02-2014, 08:25 AM
Two of my own children were chewers and one of them (he's 18 now) still does chew on a lot of things - pen lids, bottle tops, anything really. I never managed to get him to stop :rolleyes:

One of my mindees does it now. He's 2 and all I seem to say all day is "C, take that car/book/doll/spoon/blanket out of your mouth". He does take it out, but then it goes straight back in again, not in defiance, but habit, I think.

I don't know what the answer is, so hopefully someone will come up with some good ideas for both of us :thumbsup:

Smiley
25-02-2014, 08:37 AM
Have you considered oral sensory processing issues?
Some children benefit from 'chewy toys' it's also possible to buy wrist bands and many other resources for children to mouth. I have cared for a child for seven years, she has many sensory issues and chewy toys can distract them from chewy everything in sight

smurfette
25-02-2014, 08:45 AM
[QUOTE="Smiley;1345138"]Have you considered oral sensory processing issues? Some children benefit from 'chewy toys' it's also possible to buy wrist bands and many other resources for children to mouth. I have cared for a child for seven years, she has many sensory issues and chewy toys can distract them from chewy everything in sight[/QUOTE

I have sisters who put everything in their mouths, to lick and suck., I spend all day saying take it out of your mouth but mum doesn't seem to notice they do it.. Impossible to keep the germs down how do you clean everything they put in their mouths?! Mum wonders why they get all the bugs going! Eldest is four and a half so would have thought they were past it, but littlest is breast fed and eldest was until about 2.5 so I think it became habit then, it is a way of processing things in a sensory way.. Often wondered if there was a connection with the breastfeeding (breastfed my own so not having a go!)

Would love some ideas but as mouse said maybe it's not something you can change, the chewing must be worse though because it's as you say wrecking the toys!

Simona
25-02-2014, 08:49 AM
In addition to Smiley's post there is a lot of information on chewing...worth looking at it

Sensory Integration Disorder General Discussions at DailyStrength: Son Chewing his shirts and other objects (http://www.dailystrength.org/c/Sensory_Integration_Disorder/forum/14884193-son-chewing-his-shirts-and)

Berkeley Parents Network: Chewing & Sucking on Clothing (http://parents.berkeley.edu/advice/preschoolaged/chewing.html)
I am sure we have all come across children who come home from school with their wet sleeves often in tatters?

skatie
25-02-2014, 09:37 AM
That's provided some good reading, thanks everyone. I spoke to nursery this morning and her key worker has said she had noticed that lo chews but not any more than a lot of other kids. She said she would keep an eye on it but suggested it might be a comfort thing and that it would be interesting to see what mums views are ie does she do this at home? If she doesn't it would indicate its a comforter. Thanks for the advice.

Glitter
25-02-2014, 11:25 AM
My twelve year old daughter chews everything from her mobile phone, headphone wires, jumper sleeves and her sisters clothes while she is wearing them.

I found the only thing that helped was to let her have chewing gum. She has had it since she was 3 years old. I know some children would not be able to have it this young but it was the only way to stop her destroying everything in sight.

I also sewed pieces of colour fast ribbon on to her school jumper sleeves so she could chew it with out needing a new jumper every week.

jackie 7
25-02-2014, 11:54 AM
I nannied for a girl and boy both chewed everything. Clothes hair and fingers. Parents and I decided to use nail stuff on the clothes and hair. It worked on clothes. Boy said it was horrible! Stopped him. We had to have girls hair cut short.

shortstuff
25-02-2014, 12:36 PM
i would just suggest giving something that its ok to chew? that way you only have 1 item to wash and none of the toys get ruined.