PDA

View Full Version : Another good buy from Aldi

cherry
25-02-2014, 08:17 AM
This looks good, available from this Thursday.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thursday-27th-february/product-detail/ps/p/raised-bed/

Mouse
25-02-2014, 08:19 AM
Thank you. I've been looking for one of these :D

smurfette
25-02-2014, 08:23 AM
Ooh like this! Thanks a a mil!

Vikki5531
25-02-2014, 09:07 AM
That's a really good price, I've been looking for one of these, thanks for sharing x

bunyip
25-02-2014, 06:49 PM
As an old-school grower (and MOG :rolleyes:) can I add a note of caution to all the excitement over these 4 very short planks.

Do not please look at the picture in the Aldi ad and think for one minute that you can grow all that veg to anything like that standard in a 3 foot square bed. Given the spacings required, it would be adequate for one of those cabbages (or 4 lettuce instead, at a push) and that's it. All that produce has been grown elsewhere and transplanted for the purposes of the promotional photo.

I have to admit I'm not a fan of raised beds (or "slug hotels" as old hands refer to them.) But I'm not trying to be a wet blanket - I just don't want anyone to have unrealistic expectations and end up disappointed. :(

smurfette
25-02-2014, 07:13 PM
As an old-school grower (and MOG :rolleyes:) can I add a note of caution to all the excitement over these 4 very short planks. Do not please look at the picture in the Aldi ad and think for one minute that you can grow all that veg to anything like that standard in a 3 foot square bed. Given the spacings required, it would be adequate for one of those cabbages (or 4 lettuce instead, at a push) and that's it. All that produce has been grown elsewhere and transplanted for the purposes of the promotional photo. I have to admit I'm not a fan of raised beds (or "slug hotels" as old hands refer to them.) But I'm not trying to be a wet blanket - I just don't want anyone to have unrealistic expectations and end up disappointed. :(

Good to know lol!! I was imagining myself successfully growing all that with the little ones so glad I know thanks!!

Greengrass74
25-02-2014, 07:18 PM
They look great, I also thought these looked good, would be great for indoor messy play

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thursday-27th-february/product-detail/ps/p/garden-work-tray/

gef918
26-02-2014, 07:08 AM
Good to know lol!! I was imagining myself successfully growing all that with the little ones so glad I know thanks!!

Pretty sure anything I try to grow in there would die anyway. Any planting I do with the children I send home as soon as possible to try to extend the life of the plant. :(

smurfette
26-02-2014, 07:26 AM
Pretty sure anything I try to grow in there would die anyway. Any planting I do with the children I send home as soon as possible to try to extend the life of the plant. :(

Oh me too! Just total fantasy on my end too! If dh is ever away for a few days the house plants all die cos I either drown them or neglect them.. He gives me a hard time about it and I say 'but your children are still alive, plants were way down the list of priorities!' Lol!

gef918
26-02-2014, 10:51 AM
Oh me too! Just total fantasy on my end too! If dh is ever away for a few days the house plants all die cos I either drown them or neglect them.. He gives me a hard time about it and I say 'but your children are still alive, plants were way down the list of priorities!' Lol!

My husband and I had a plan when we started thinking about having kids. Start with a plant, if we can keep that alive, get a fish. If we can keep that alive get a cat. THEN have children.

Never kept a plant alive longer than 2 weeks, but my eldest child is 13 next month, so I must be doing something right!

smurfette
26-02-2014, 11:39 AM
My husband and I had a plan when we started thinking about having kids. Start with a plant, if we can keep that alive, get a fish. If we can keep that alive get a cat. THEN have children. Never kept a plant alive longer than 2 weeks, but my eldest child is 13 next month, so I must be doing something right!

Lol love that!!!!

amylouise867
26-02-2014, 12:15 PM
Really like the look of this :)

Thanks for sharing :)

Cinderbella
26-02-2014, 08:47 PM
brill thanks for sharing

FussyElmo
26-02-2014, 09:05 PM
My husband and I had a plan when we started thinking about having kids. Start with a plant, if we can keep that alive, get a fish. If we can keep that alive get a cat. THEN have children.

Never kept a plant alive longer than 2 weeks, but my eldest child is 13 next month, so I must be doing something right!

What is it about plants? I mean all they need is water and light and yet they wither and die as I go pass (dh mutters something about my aura)

wee_elf
26-02-2014, 09:21 PM
oohh thanks for the heads up! I managed to grow some sunflowers in one like this last year :D

smurfette
26-02-2014, 09:33 PM
What is it about plants? I mean all they need is water and light and yet they wither and die as I go pass (dh mutters something about my aura)

Ooh maybe that's what my problem is too!!!