PDA

View Full Version : Out of school reforms spark divide

Simona
24-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Out-of-school reforms spark divide | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nursery-world/news/1142311/-school-reforms-sparkdivide?utm_content=&utm_campaign=24.02.14%20NW%20Update&utm_source=Nursery%20World&utm_medium=adestra_email&utm_term=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nurseryworld.co.uk%2Fnur sery-world%2Fnews%2F1142311%2F-school-reforms-sparkdivide)

wee_elf
24-02-2014, 08:09 PM
I don't know why they are even questioning it, in my opinion it will definitely cause a two tier standard of care.

Bluebell
25-02-2014, 08:12 AM
They consulted with the sector, yet failed to listen. It is very clear that changing the adult:child ratio from 1:8 to "sufficient staff for a class of 30", combined with the removal of staff qualification requirements, will lead to a lowering of standards.

As a sector we have worked so hard over the past ten years to improve standards, yet overnight this could all be undone.

doesn't this all sound a bit too familiar? - sick of them making all these detrimental changes regardless of the outcomes for children!

Simona
25-02-2014, 08:27 AM
doesn't this all sound a bit too familiar? - sick of them making all these detrimental changes regardless of the outcomes for children!

It was never their intention to listen to anything...their plan was so so obvious.

Sorry to sound negative bit this has been in the pipeline for about 2 years...unfortunately I feel very strongly we got stuck fighting agencies ....and before that we concentrated our efforts on the ratio campaign

All very valid but the ratios did not affect Cms and yet we fought to the end...but we missed the message behind that...Truss was not going to take any notice of the fact the her ratio aim was going to be put on hold by Clegg...for a while, her aim has always been 'deregulation' and CMs doing exactly what she wants us to do: run around in schools, unqualified and looking after a lot of children

Those who read NWorld should read the editorial: the Regulation of Childcare is a double blow for CMs and the article about day nurseries intention to expand their provision to start 'wraparound care'...

So finally the childcare market has opened its doors for business and Cms are facing competition from all sides

We have one last stand to make and that is about 'fair funding for quality'.....hope cms will think about that one....all is not lost if we fight
All the proposals need to go through Parliament.....so we have a ray of hope

gef918
26-02-2014, 07:34 AM
"After-school warehousing of children is not the same as quality childcare".

Makes me want to cry!

caz3007
26-02-2014, 07:44 AM
It all makes me glad my youngest is 11, but have two grown up children and I am worried if they have to use childcare in the future.

We should be nurturing our young, not shoving them into situations that have potential horrible consequences

Simona
26-02-2014, 01:29 PM
If any cm feels like attending this conference it should be an eye opener
'The role of schools in providing affordable childcare'

subject to being able to fund £145 charge which is special to CMs ...a bargain I would say!

http://www.westminster-briefing.com/fileadmin/westminster-briefing/Agendas/Affordable_Childcare_Agenda.pdf

Family and Daycare Trust are busy advertising and endorsing wraparound care on twitter today...with many cms putting the right!
Apparently schools get grants from Kelloggs!