PDA

View Full Version : Advice re swapping days please

Keeley77
24-02-2014, 01:26 PM
Hi,

Can anyone give some advice regarding a child being sent home/off sick (i charge full fee for child sickness) and mum asking to swap to another day instead. (to save money - they don't get paid if they take time off for child illness - Apparently)

The child comes 3 days a week and parent knows that I have 1 space available on a thurs/fri (which i have kept free deliberately - ie if anyone enquires about spaces I say that im full) - mum's work will let her swap days at work so she wants me to do the same.

I did a swap once when mum asked (as i felt bad when she said that she doesn't get paid when she takes sick leave) but now its expected and I don't really want to be doing this.

I also feel it isn't fair on the other child's family that comes to me as their child comes 5 days a week - They are not able to 'swap' days to save money - it effectively means that one parent is paying nothing if their child is sick and the other has to pay full. (both mums work together) -

sorry this sounds a bit confusing - hope it makes sense

Not sure what to do. What would you do in these circumstances?

I'm considering saying that I wont able to swap days in the future as i have other commitments - meetings, something!! loll

shortstuff
24-02-2014, 01:31 PM
I would just say lo can attend the other day but full fees will apply as per contract.

If she queries why youve done it before point out that you do that as a good will gesture for a one off.

tess1981
24-02-2014, 01:34 PM
maybe just explain you did a swap the last time as a one off but as per contract the full fee is due and you are not swapping days.. always bring it back to the contract... they read and signed it so i think she just trying make you feel guity.. if she insists on another day tell her it will you will have to charge for that day too or say if i do it for you i wouold have to do it for all other parents...

Daisy De
24-02-2014, 01:59 PM
All good ideas from everyone, swapping days always causes problems in my opinion.
I have done it many times as a favour or a one-off, then everyone comes to expect it and the only one who loses out is you.
Try and phase it out with appointments etc or just sorry no! :D

Mouse
24-02-2014, 02:00 PM
I wouldn't say you aren't able to swap this time (as that gives the impression you would if you could). I would send a letter or email along the lines of:

Dear parent

I would like to take this opportunity to clarify my position on 'swapping' days when your child has been off ill.

As per our contract full fees are due if your child does not attend on a contracted day due to their illness, or an occasional day off. For any extra days used outside the contracted ones an additional fee is due.

Therefore, if your child is off on a contracted day full fee is due. If you then ask for the child to come on another day (outside the contracted days) an additional fee is due. It is not possible to 'swap' one day for another. I realise that I have done this previously, as a gesture of goodwill, but that was a one off occasion and not something I am able to repeat again. If your child has been off ill and you would like them to attend another day, this will only be possible if the space is available and if an agreed fee is paid.

If you need any further clarification, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Keeley77
24-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Well I have just realised that I have a meeting thursday morning - So have told mum I wont be able to do any swaping then - Ive not offered another day instead, will wait and see what she comes back with.

I certainly don't want extra on friday!! its Friday! :panic: - I doubt very much they would be able to swap day for free if they were using a nursery?

unalindura77
24-02-2014, 07:21 PM
I would NEVER do this

I hate it when a parent asks me to help them save money....! They are much better off than me! (Very well off!)

I have stated it in my terms and conditions, strictly NO swapping days

wee_elf
24-02-2014, 08:06 PM
I am just in the process of developing my terms and conditions, and was wondering if anyone had put a reason that they were not able to swap sessions. I wasn't going to as I just don't think it is reasonable to expect us to, but didn't want to seem callous in my wording? x

bunyip
24-02-2014, 08:21 PM
Wee Elf: keep your policies, Ts&Cs, etc. as matter-of-fact as you can. You should never write them as if you have to justify or apologise for the way you work. It's often better to stop saying "I" and start saying "the childminder" in policies, etc.

Keeley: Everything in your OP says you don't want to swap - so don't. And don't apologise for doing things that way. The mum has signed 2 contracts: 1 between you and her, and 1 between her and her employer, presumably no-one had a gun to her head on either occasion. It's not your job to make amends for the terms of her contract of employment.

Mouse: excellent letter. :thumbsup: