PDA

View Full Version : Handwashing at what age?

unalindura77
24-02-2014, 11:29 AM
Hello,

I have my Ofsted inspection soon. Have a 19 month old who I usually clean his hands with wipes before meals, unless they're dirty from an activity.

Will this be ok? Have my paper towels in bathroom just in case ;)7

Our bathroom is not on same level as lounge where most activities are and I am wondering what do I do, start taking him downstairs while other child/children is downstairs?

Have an assistant that hasn't had first aid yet so wouldn't be able to leave them with him in lounge

At what age is it good practice to take them to wash their hands?

Kaybeaa
24-02-2014, 11:37 AM
I've been doing regular hand washing since the mindees have been old enough to eat using fingers (ie sandwiches etc) When I had my inspection last week the inspector really liked that I filled a washing up bowl with warm water, and got them to wash hands in that downstairs before sitting at the table. Maybe you could try that?

hectors house
24-02-2014, 11:43 AM
I wash hands right from about 9 months in warm soapy water in downstairs cloakroom - I suppose you could do similar with a small washing up bowl, I put my foot on the step stool and sit the baby on my leg - they enjoy the water play too. Make sure you have separate towels or paper towels for everyone.

playdayz
24-02-2014, 12:28 PM
I wash children hands fro early age, if to young or little to stand on a step at the sink I use a baby top an tail bowl and bring it them with there towel x

gef918
26-02-2014, 07:58 AM
My Ofsted inspector said that I should be washing children's hands after a nappy change, so that they get used to the routine when they are potty training.

I use a bowl of water too until I feel they are old enough to stand at the sink safely on a stool.

unalindura77
26-02-2014, 10:14 AM
Thanks gef, I have my inspection coming up so will start to get children in to this routine