PDA

View Full Version : I want a moan

yummyripples
24-02-2014, 10:15 AM
4th week in with a new mindee who struggles to go to sleep on his own (9 months).1st week was a nightmare but cracked it by the weds of the second week. On the Monday of the third week he was a nightmare again because over the weekend he is nursed or driven round to get him to sleep. By Thursday last week I was pulling my hair out but he slept quickly on Friday.
This morning he has been tired since he got here and has now been crying in the cot for 20mins.
I understand why mum and dad nurse/drive him to sleep - it's easier and they feel guilty leaving him to scream. I was the same with my first. But why oh why can't they see that they have to be cruel to be kind? Poor thing is so tired that he isn't enjoying anything.
Moan over.........

QualityCare
24-02-2014, 10:34 AM
Is there any way you can put him in a pushchair that lies flat and rock him, for two or three days rock until he falls asleep, next day stop rocking when he is quiet but as soon as you hear he is going to start crying start rocking do this until he falls asleep, the next week day one rock, after that rock only when he is going to cry, this will take a couple of weeks for him to get in to the routine of falling asleep alone without crying, you can then move him to the cot to sleep. l have done this using my foot to rock back and forth whilst playing at the table with other mindees.

Koala
24-02-2014, 10:40 AM
aaarghhhhhhhhh the joys!! :D Glad i'm not the only one. :panic:

yummyripples
24-02-2014, 10:42 AM
This is what I have been doing to a degree. We crack it by the end of the week but then on the Monday I have to start all over again. I can cope and we will get through it and he is totally gorgeous the rest of the time but I just feel sooooo sorry for him

gef918
24-02-2014, 11:11 AM
You need to discuss this with parents and work out a plan together to help him sleep. If you're not consistent, then he will struggle. Be firm with them and look at different options that will work for you and them.

yummyripples
24-02-2014, 11:57 AM
You need to discuss this with parents and work out a plan together to help him sleep. If you're not consistent, then he will struggle. Be firm with them and look at different options that will work for you and them.

Thanks. I know all this but persuading the parents is not always easy. They think we are miracle workers lol

AgentTink
24-02-2014, 12:13 PM
I have a lo who joined me at 8 months and was exactly the same. The problem with mine was as soon as you stopped rocking the pram he would wake. I kept persevering, and it was hard as only with me 3 days at the time, and after 6 months I had progressed from pram, to sofa with me next to him and hand on his chest, to me just sitting next to him, to me then being able to be on other couch, to eventually up in the cot!!! Luckily he only wanted a nap in the afternoon and my other LO's were all asleep at that point. The LO is now 2 and is not a bother to go to sleep, just pop in cot and he is gone for 2 to 3 hours, however he is still pushed in pram at night at home for over an hour to get him to sleep and lots of nights it doesnt work for parents so the LO ends up until 10/11pm until he eventually crashes in their arms. I have given loads of advice and they always seem so keen to listen but never manage to put any of it into practice at home.

JCrakers
24-02-2014, 12:13 PM
I would have a word. Just explain to them that you cant go back to square 1 every Monday :( Its going to wear you out.

Gemz81
24-02-2014, 12:26 PM
Currently going through the same thing with an 8mth old. Finally managed to wean him but now got to sort his sleeping habits..hes currently asleep on my lap (just laying across it im not cuddling him) ...the moment I put him down hes awake. Luckily its a quiet day today. Tomorrow I will not be able to do this. I know I will get there in the end though..the things we do in this job!

jackie 7
24-02-2014, 06:31 PM
i have 1 who was 1 when he started. he had been carried everywhere brest fed to get to sleep! i tried so many things to get him to sleep.. I got a sleep (dog) mat with a sheet on. Patted his back until he went to sleep. Now 6 months later i just have to be in the room with him.Parents still have problems getting him to sleep..

wee_elf
24-02-2014, 08:17 PM
Sorry I don't have any advice but wanted to send my sympathies, its so frustrating is a situation like this :( xx

yummyripples
24-02-2014, 08:20 PM
Sorry I don't have any advice but wanted to send my sympathies, its so frustrating is a situation like this :( xx

Aww thanks. That is all I wanted.
We will get there. He is still very little and his routine will change in the next couple of months as he gets used to my routine so I am not too worried. I just was feeling frustrated this morning x

wee_elf
26-02-2014, 09:55 PM
Any progress? xxx