PDA

View Full Version : Activitys

Sarahj2012
23-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Hi, I'm going to be looking after a little girl who has come from nursery, one of her next steps are to help her recognise and understand 2d and 3d shapes. Can anyone recommend any good activitys or websites that will help, she is 4 thank you

hectors house
24-02-2014, 07:29 AM
Just play with your normal toys, read books and go on your normal outings and point out to her 2D & 3D shapes. Have you got a shape sorter (I have 2 - one is just 4 basic shapes, the other one is a cube with 16 different shapes and objects), magnetic shapes, looking at the shapes of packaging eg: pringles pack, cereal box, etc

sarah707
24-02-2014, 07:56 AM
There is a huge leap between 2d and 3d learning!! Children need to be well established with recognising 2d shapes first.

Plan lots of activities to talk about 2d shapes - sorters, matching games, shape lotto etc... leave 3d for a while :D

gef918
24-02-2014, 09:36 AM
I agree with Sarah, stick to 2D for a while. My son is still covering 3D shapes in Year 2.

We have a great game called Pass the Bag, which has the basic shapes in different colours and sizes. It's good because to be successful you learn to recognise the shapes by feel, e.g. are they round, how many corners, etc.

I also have shape jigsaws and shape sorters. We do craft with geometric foam shapes. I provide different shaped paper, e.g. round paper plate, diamond (to make a kite), as well as square, rectangle, etc.

You can do a shape hunt. Look around the house (or outside) for circles, rectangles, triangles, etc. I give younger children a shape to hold so that they can match it more easily.

hectors house
24-02-2014, 09:40 AM
There is a huge leap between 2d and 3d learning!! Children need to be well established with recognising 2d shapes first.

Plan lots of activities to talk about 2d shapes - sorters, matching games, shape lotto etc... leave 3d for a while :D

I wish there was a list of the 3D shapes in DM as I struggle with the names too - how detailed do we need to go - after all we are talking up to 5 year olds! - I only know cube and sphere, cuboid, cylinder, cone, - is pyramid one or not?

gef918
24-02-2014, 09:59 AM
I wish there was a list of the 3D shapes in DM as I struggle with the names too - how detailed do we need to go - after all we are talking up to 5 year olds! - I only know cube and sphere, cuboid, cylinder, cone, - is pyramid one or not?

I would include pyramid, triangular prism, tetrahedron, etc. If a child was ready and interested. They're learning new words all the time, why not these too?

amylouise867
24-02-2014, 10:40 AM
I wrote on here last night before bed but it's been deleted :( why???

AgentTink
24-02-2014, 11:00 AM
I wrote on here last night before bed but it's been deleted :( why???

Amy the original poster must have asked the question twice because i have just read your responce here:
http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/activity-ideas/128985-activitys.html#post1344782

Minstrel
24-02-2014, 11:05 AM
Yes Amy she posted twice? Once here and once in Activity Ideas.

Sarahj2012
24-02-2014, 11:13 AM
Thank you for all your help, there are some fantastic ideas. Sorry for the confusion Amy I poted it on the forum and then realised there was a separate category for activities so posted there as well x

amylouise867
24-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Thanks guys!!
I am on my phone so just didn't clock it.

Wondered what was going on for a second lol

Thanks again xx